D&D 4E 4e Heal info in new Confessions article

There's a new Confessions of a Full Time Wizard article up. In it is this little bit about the Heal skill in 4e:

Before 4th Edition, a Heal check meant looking down at your shoe to see what the heck you just stepped in. Now it's something I can actually do to help my fellow party members, such as Adam's wee halfing warlock, Atticus. The poor guy was knocked unconscious by a goblin on the high school javelin team. With the roll of a die and some simple addition, Tabitha gave Atticus the ability to use one of his healing reserves. He was back on his feet in no time. At least I think he was on his feet. With a halfling it's kind of hard to tell. I was filled with warm fuzzies from having saved a life, making my resolve even stronger to learn the equivalent of the Heimlich maneuver in the wizard's spellbook.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
This would seem to clarify that other blog post where someone mentioned a wizard healing an ally... heck, that may even have been in reference to Shelley.

FireLance

Legend
So I guess what this means is that a successful Heal check can trigger another character's Second Wind? That makes for some interesting possibilities... :)

FireLance

Legend
Further speculation: warlords, clerics and other Leader-types will be able to grant additional uses of Second Wind, and may be able to trigger them at range, as swift actions, or once per round as a free action.

Sitara

Explorer
She also drops a subtle hint that Bigby's Fist spell will remain in the wizards spellbook. (how else would you give a heimlinc)

Anyhow, is it even possible to pc's to die in dnd anymore?

green slime

First Post
Sitara said:
She also drops a subtle hint that Bigby's Fist spell will remain in the wizards spellbook. (how else would you give a heimlinc)

No, because its not very cinematic, and why would you keep playing if your characters die?

Mr Jack

First Post
Sitara said:

According to World & Monsters, yes.

At Hero levels; it's a lot harder than it was, but basically permanent.
At Paragon; you can get raised but it's not widely avaiable or easy - and, mostly, unavailable to NPCs.
At Epic; it's a "speed bump".

Walking Dad

First Post
Sitara said:

I think she referred to a spell that gives "second wind" :uhoh: .

Sitara

Explorer
green slime said:
No, because its not very cinematic, and why would you keep playing if your characters die?

Umm, not cinematic? I take it you don'e see many movies then, because in the ones I've seen a LOT of characters die. For example Star Wars (qui-gon), lotr (boromir), etc.

PC death adds excitement and drama; if the pc's are never in danger of dying then combat becomes a meaningless chore.

Remove ads