• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bard Arcane Leader and gnome bards and roles

on the Paizo thread started by Nicolas Logue chimed in Rodney Thompson and talked of Roles and how to simulate a gnome bard with the first core books and hint to the fact that the bard could be the Arcane Leader

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/gaming/4thEdition/comingOutOfTheCloset

+++++++++++++
Rodney Thompson, 31 january 2008 h 6,30 (CET)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't tell anyone, but I've been doing development work on some of Nick's stuff over the last few weeks. All I can say is he's a man who knows his :):):):):):):).

That sounds odd.

Set wrote:
Citazione:
One thing I'm kinda struggling with accepting is that the roles and classes make it pretty clear that this is *not* going to be any sort of D&D I've played before.

People get really hung up on the roles, it seems. While role does speak to design, it already did in 3rd Edition. When I ran Shackled City, I had a very nonstandard party: gold dragon (monster class), a paladin, a weretiger, and a barbarian. It was a challenge not having a druid or a cleric for healing. This was pre-Spell Compendium, so the paladin was...OK, but not great at protecting his buddies. The gold dragon and the weretiger were just kind of all over the place, but those adventures really revolved around presenting an iconic D&D experience, and I really had to adjust to make it work without dedicated healing and a good, solid meat shield.

When I ran Age of Worms, however, my players did the fighter/cleric/rogue/wizard thing, and it worked out SO much better. You don't need those "Core Four" specifically, but you do need someone who can do what they can do.

So 4E doesn't really change that. Instead, what it does is it says, "What do these roles need to be able to do? OK, let's give them that by default. Now that they have that down, we can let players build all kinds of characters on top of that." For example, the fighter effectively gets his "defenderiness" for free, and then you build whatever kind of fighter you want on top of that. Some of the abilities speak to defenderiness, but, well, not all of them by any stretch.

Out of curiosity, what are the character concepts you don't think you'll be able to do?

Newbie McNewsome wrote:
Citazione:
Since you asked, a gnome bard. I'm not being hateful. I like playing small characters.

Well, of course the gnome will be in the MM as a playable race last I checked, so you're good there. Until the actual bard class comes out, I'd build him as a high-Dex warlord, put on some leather armor (or no armor, if that's your preference), and pick out a weapon that you like (I prefer rapiers with my bards, but YMMV). You'll want to make sure you're trained in Arcana or multiclass with the wizard or warlock if you want to go with the more traditional arcane bard, or you might consider some rogue multiclassing if you want to go with a purely non-magical bard (which is my preference, as I like to play my bards like Thom Merrilin from the Wheel of Time novels).

Of course, when the bard class comes out, you can use that. I know the above isn't a perfect solution, but since I'd say that the bard will probably be an arcane leader (I don't know that for sure, of course, but it's my suspicion) then you can play the warlord (also a leader) and shade it with multiclassing if you like.

Or, rather, that's how I'd do it. As always, YMMV.
+++++++++++++

and still I hope to see the Bard into the first PHB since it's arcane and there should be some surprise left :)

Lord Zack

Explorer
Notice that he suggests the character be trained in Arcana. Will that give some magical abilities of some kind I wonder?

Lord Zack said:
Notice that he suggests the character be trained in Arcana. Will that give some magical abilities of some kind I wonder?
It seems to at least mix the skills Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft. I could see it also including Use Magic Device (but maybe not?). Whether these skills have influence on your regular magical items remains to be seen, but I suspect not.

Lord Zack

Explorer
This seems to suggest that it might work some what like the Use the Force skill from Saga, allowing the character to use minor magical abilities. I could be wrong, though.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Lord Zack said:
This seems to suggest that it might work some what like the Use the Force skill from Saga, allowing the character to use minor magical abilities. I could be wrong, though.
FWIW, I think you have the right of it.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
What if Rituals need a certain Arcana score to be able to cast? You could have multiple classes even Martial powered casting rituals.

Irda Ranger

First Post
FabioMilitoPagliara said:
trained in Arcana or multiclass with the wizard or warlock
These are presented in the alternative. That means that "Arcane training" is different from multi-classing. This is new information.

Prior to this, every reference to the multi-classing rules referred to taking "class training." There were no choices to be made; you either have Fighter training or you don't. This seems to suggest that there's "training" and then there's full-on multi-classing.

If I had to guess, using prior editions of D&D for the analogy, I'd guess that "training" is a bit like taking 0th level in a class without impacting the level of the class you're in. But that's pure speculation, and the 4E devs may have a more elegant solution.

catsclaw227

First Post
Dang -- you guys are fast. I was just going to post a new thread about this. EnWorld scoopers abound!

I am not sure what we can get out of it, but in a 4e starved world, any morsel counts.

grimslade said:
What if Rituals need a certain Arcana score to be able to cast? You could have multiple classes even Martial powered casting rituals.
I think you got it

I forgot that "Arcana" is a skill, and yes probably it let you use magical items and rituals very good :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads