• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caucusing - State caucus report, but no trip to national

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Can I talk about politics here without, you know mentioning or even caring about a party?

I went to my first (US) caucus ever this Tuesday, it lasted from 6:30-9:00pm and was confusing, not well organized and crowded. It seemed like it was designed to create a lot of little ladders for people with political ambitions. Its like a series of popularity contests where you can bring attention to yourself. Several of the organizers and speakers were either in local office or running for one.

Out of my precinct we chose 8 positions, 2 to organize for that evening (precinct chair and secretary) and 6 to continue to the next event (delegates). Like many things it was 1-2 people who wanted to do it, and 4 others who felt obligated, and were willing to spend another day in meetings/auditoriums. Really it felt like choosing a treasurer for a local club, we just kinda stared at each other till enough people said, "Okay I'll do it." This included me btw.
It was hot and after sitting in a middle school gym for several hours, rational debate was really beyond us, we signed forms and voted quickly, the discussion of issues lasted 2 min in our small group.

Next, at the county convention we choose delegates to state convention, where national delegates are chosen. The feelings of my local precinct could be summed up as "those that did the work organizing should go to the next level."

Another note was that due to the Caucus moving up in the year, had a massive turnout - last time 15,000 attended this year it was 112,000. Voting in a Primary would have been much easier, I think there were too many people for this system to work well.

Side note: my precinct split exactly the same way as the state did. 60/40
Anyone else have experiances or feelings about caucusing?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
My state does primaries.

I don't know how the mods will feel about this thread; I suspect as long as everyone stays general and civil, it might stay open. Still, you might take this discussion to a more "heated discussion-friendly" place like www.circvsmaximvs.com (sort of ENWorld's "back alley" where things are a bit less restricted, and less focused on gaming).

Kahuna Burger

First Post
My mom did a caucus yesterday and was not thrilled with the process either. One of her complaints was that she felt it went against the "secret ballot" idea which she considers important in American democracy.

In other news, "caucus" is totally one of those words that sounds like it should be naughty but isn't. It's like in Model UN where we were always warned about "caucusing on the floor" which just makes it worse.... :p

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
basically in a primary you show up, punch a secret ballot and leave.

In a caucus you are collected into neighborhood groups and the members of the "Precinct" vote openly for a candidate, you discuss it and then vote again. (we voted by a show of hands) The second vote is recorded and reported to the party/media......
although actually you elect people from the precinct to go vote for a candidate at the next level of the convention. Its a bit like a mini-electoral college.

last election their were apparently 2 members of the precinct - my neighbor and his wife.
they had the right to send 5 delegated to the county, but since neither of them could go, my precinct was not represented at the county level. The party still recorded the precinct as having voted. Since the a candidate had actually had enough delegates to win the primary a month before my state caucused, it did not matter very much.

This year there were 27 members who showed up, although one left before voting, due to her unhappy infant.

I tried to wiki caucus - to see if there was a better explanation - its just a terrible article. perhaps the procedure is so varied no one has bothered.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Speaking as an outsider, this is the first year that the whole process has come up on my (UK) radar, and I was quite surprised to learn how involved everything is. Very interesting to hear a 'ground up' view as opposed to a 'newsroom' view though. Thanks!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay I also am non-US citizen and I'm still confused on how the whole process works. As I understand from the news coverage the primary thing is about voting for a candidate only correct?

SO how do 'they' (you guys?) actually decide on who gets to vote at these primary/caucus things? (ie is the person who represents the precinct voted in?)

What is an electoral college?

Who actually votes in the President?

Pbartender

First Post
Tonguez said:
Okay I also am non-US citizen and I'm still confused on how the whole process works. As I understand from the news coverage the primary thing is about voting for a candidate only correct?

More or less, yes. At the moment, each major political party is choosing the single person they want to run for the presidency. It prevents competition within the party once the real presidential vote happens next fall.

Tonguez said:
SO how do 'they' (you guys?) actually decide on who gets to vote at these primary/caucus things? (ie is the person who represents the precinct voted in?)

The general rules are decided by the leadership of each party, such as the Democratic National Convention. Then each state decides the details based on those rules... Whether they'll have a primary or a caucus, what date it takes place on, who is allowed to vote for who (some states allow anyone to vote in any primary/caucus, while in others you can only vote for candidates who belong to your own professed political party), how the delegates will be divvied up, and so on.

Tonguez said:
What is an electoral college?

Who actually votes in the President?

Courtesy of School House Rock, and Wikipedia

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads