• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DRAGON ROOTS Magazine fact page

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Hello everyone. My name is Rocco and I am the creator of Dragon Roots magazine.

LIMITED TIME OFFER FOR TEST PRICING PURPOSES - ISSUE ZERO PDF ONLY IS $4.95

A few threads have been placed on ENWorld regarding the Premiere issue so I thought I would shed some light on a few things.

First, you can checkout our webstite at www.dragonroots.net.

The Premiere issue, or issue zero, is for sale for $7.95. It is perfect bound, with a full color cover and a B&W interior. The magazine is 70 pages with only one full page ad for Kobold Quarterly in honor of Wolfgang for aiding me and giving me a swift kick in the right direction.

Printed version
Premiere issue sells for $7.95 + shipping
4 issue quarterly subscription sells for $25 ( $6.80 savings) + shipping*
subscriptions are for issues 0-3.

Shipping (single issue)
USA standard envelope $4.00
USA Padded envelope (much sturdier envelope)$5.00*
Canada & Mexico standard envelope $5.50
Canada & Mexico Padded envelope (much sturdier envelope)$6.50*
Anywhere else in the world $11.00

Shipping (4 issue subscription issue)
USA standard envelope $16.00
USA Padded envelope (much sturdier envelope)$20.00*
Canada & Mexico standard envelope $21.00
Canada & Mexico Padded envelope (much sturdier envelope)$26.00*
Anywhere else in the world $44.00
* the padded envolpe is recommended for those of you who often get damaged mail

PDFS
$2 if you bought the printed version
$3 if you bought a printed version and want it on a disk.
$8 for a pdf if you don't buy a printed version.
NOTE: for a limited time I am lowering the pdf price for a single issue of the pdf,when you don't buy a print version, to $4.95.

PAYMENT
If you are interested in purchasing an issue, you can send payment to dragonroots@comcast.net via PayPal or a check or money order made out to Christopher Rocco and send it to: Dragon Roots c/o Christopher Rocco 311 Winifred Street East, St. Paul, MN 55107.

There has been some talk about the pdf version being too high in costs. Dragon Roots is a printed magazine, not a digital initiative. That, and I am not a master of pricing PDFs. I am considering lowering it though to maybe $6. Let me sleep on this.

And now for our cover (see below for sample articles from issue zero)
issue-zero.gif

Be Thee For Law or Chaos? top
Using Alignment in Dungeon & Dragons
By Daniel J. Bishop

(Excerpt)
There may be nothing in the Dungeons & Dragons game that causes more arguments than alignment. When discussions turn to house rules and sacred cows, alignment is nearly always among the first things on the chopping block. For some vocal players, alignment gets in the way of role-playing.

I find this attitude unfortunate. Alignment can be a tool to bring depth to your characters and campaign environment. This article is an attempt to show you how. You should be advised that some of the advice in this article goes against the basic philosophy of the current edition of the game.

What's your Story? top
Socially expected backgrounds with flare for your new campaign
By C.E.Rocco

(Excerpt)
From the dawn of time to present day, man has been judged on social standing. From the time of your birth your social standing speaks volumes about not only who your parents are, but who you are as well. Society is always comprised of a social structure and your place in it matters. Social standings, like life, are not fair. It is usually better to be born into the wealth and prestige of the upper class than in the slums of the city like the lower class. Sometimes, however, the social trappings of the upper class leave one open to a less than desirable living, mainly because of politics.

Many times a DM asks for a character background for the PCs, but usually this amounts to a short, sometimes very short, paragraph and nothing is ever heard about this again. Presented are rules for creating more in-depth character backgrounds that can be expanded in the future. This article can be used in conjunction with the Zero to Hero Campaign Arc presented in the back of this magazine or your own homebrew campaign.

Zero to Hero Campaign Arc top
A Day at the Fair
By C.E.Rocco

(Excerpt)
Every hero comes from humble beginnings. Every hero has a mother, father and sometimes siblings. Every hero did not start out working as a hero. Most heroes had jobs, skills and professions that occupied much of their life before they ever dreamt of picking up a sword or casting a spell.

"A Day at the Fair" is the first chapter of the Zero to Hero Campaign Arc, a complete campaign consisting of a yet to be determined number of adventures printed in Dragon Roots. We have at least 15 adventures planned so far, ranging in levels from 0-26. Depending on the success of the magazine and the response of the players, we may alter this number to go further into the epic levels. Also see additional articles in this magazine to help aid you in running this and future adventures in the Campaign Arc.

The PCs should be an unprecedented 0th level for this adventure and by the time they reach the end of their training, they should reach 1st level. See the article "What's Your Story" in this magazine to learn how to make a 0th level character for this adventure.

Go forth brave adventurers. Delve into the depths of unparallel danger and excitement. Gone is the conception of a level appropriate adventure and never having to worry about encounters being too tough. If you are foolish or fool hardy, death will be a constant. Keep your wits about you, measured with a touch of common sense, and you will survive to be rewarded like never before. If you don't want a challenge, then don't play this Campaign Arc that is guaranteed to put the Dragon back in the Dungeon where it belongs.

We are bringing back the feel and fear of AD&D within the confines of 3.5. Not everything will kill you with a look. However, don't go mouthing off to that stranger on the street. He may be an epic level sorcerer out for a stroll. Don't insult that silver haired elf. She could be a polymorphed silver dragon with a bad temperament and a disposition for tasty treats. Stock up on 10' poles and practice your courtesy, adventure awaits.

Plus, a 4th edition Q&A with Andy Collins and Scott Rouse and our feature article Working your Way Up To First Level (revisited)​

Last edited:

Bacris

First Post
As another PDF publisher, I'd say $8 for a 70 page book is fine.

Consider that Kobold Quarterly #1 is $6.50 and it's only 36 pages.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Rocco, I'll slide this over to the Publisher forum.
Thanks Piratecat. I guess it does fit better there.

Bacris said:
As another PDF publisher, I'd say $8 for a 70 page book is fine.

Consider that Kobold Quarterly #1 is $6.50 and it's only 36 pages.
Thanks, that is what I thought as well. In many ways I used Wolfgang and his issue #1 for a starting guide. It is, however, good to hear that from someone else.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Alzrius said:
I'm curious, does this have any 3.5E crunch in it?
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by Crunch.

If you mean, does it has 3.5 content, yes it does. With the exception of the 4e interview, everything is 3.5.

The next issue will mostly be 3.5 as well and as long as I get 3.5 material for print, I will always be willing to print some 3.5 content even when I go to 4e content.

It is a gamers a magazine for gamers, by gamers. If gamers want 3.5 content, it will be in their. I know there are plenty of people that want 4e content, so yes, that will eventually be in there too.

Does that help?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Alzrius said:
I'm curious, does this have any 3.5E crunch in it?

I expect to be submitting some fey creatures for 3.5 (hopefully for Issue #1) and I hope to include one or two short side adventures for 3.5 for the first year's worth of issues (again, I hope to have the first of these in good order for the #1 issue).

I hope to have a copy of this issue in my hot little hands by tomorrow, so by Friday at the latest I should have better info on the contents.

Really, though, this is a project that I am well on side of. :D

RC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads