• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[SotC] Legend of the Forbidden City

Psion

Adventurer
This is the character thread where I'll be placing my pregens for my DC Gameday Spirit of the Century game Legend of the Forbidden City, based on the AD&D 1e adventure Dwellers of the Forbidden City.

The game signup link is here.

Players interested in making their own characters should post them here in a format similar to mine. I'll be posting "sketches" first and filling in details with mechanics, background, and (as they near completion) the five phases/novels for each.

Psion

Adventurer
Character Concept:

Renae Gunn

Idea: Based on this picture:
20070312-RaygunGirl2_w.jpg

My concept: a guns focussed hero, daughter of a famous scientist/engineer who has some ray-gun style inventions. A friend of the family and benefactor of her father made some curious predictions that "great things" are in store for Renae (the century club angle). She practiced with her fathers inventions from youth. When a criminal cabal kidnaps her father, she has to take matters into her own hands to free him.

Skills:
Superb: Guns
Great: Rapport, Science
Good: ?, ?, ?, ?
Average: ?, ?, ?, ?, ?

Stunts:
Guns - One last shot, Shot on the Run, Gun Crazy, Custom Firearm
Rapport - Popular Gal

Aspects:
(phases not done yet, but I'm thinking)
"Something my father left for me"
"Dainty, but quick"
"Taking things into my own hands"
"The equalizer"

Phases:
(TBD)

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Concept:

Gentleman Gorilla (working name.... need something better)

Idea based on a few comments and pictures about a "good guy gorilla" in the RPGnet inspirational art thread. What clinched it was this picture from same thread:

tshirt.jpg

Which I understand is a character named monkey man from a short lived 90's comic, Monkey Man and O'Brien. I had considered the possibility that he was a wayward apprentice of the SotC villain Gorilla Khan, but chasing down the backstory behind monkey man gave me some more ideas.

But the basic idea is a huge brute who is also SMART. Might is a shoo-in, but I've got to work in science and/or academics high in his tree.

Skills:
Superb: Might
Great: Science and/or Academics?, Endurance
Good: ?, ?. ?
Fair: ?, ?, ?, ?

Stunts:

Aspects:
"Really big"
"Might of body, might of mind"
"Scorned and misunderstood"

Phases
TBD

Supplanter

First Post
Dang! I actually made a "good guy gorilla" for our group's short-lived campaign: Citizen Simian. His big ambition was to replace the rule of Gorilla Khan with a representative government. Khan was incubating him as a soldier ape when somehow the military history tapes got swapped out for political philosophy.

His first novel was called, The Tyrants Out of Time: A Citizen Simian Adventure. "When a triumvirate of far future despots set their sites on the 20th Century, the last hope for freedom rests on one bookish ape."

Probably more Hank McCoy (c. 1972) than I should be proud of, but I compensated by avoiding acrobatic stunts.

Best,

Jim

Psion

Adventurer
Supplanter said:
Dang! I actually made a "good guy gorilla" for our group's short-lived campaign: Citizen Simian. His big ambition was to replace the rule of Gorilla Khan with a representative government. Khan was incubating him as a soldier ape when somehow the military history tapes got swapped out for political philosophy.

His first novel was called, The Tyrants Out of Time: A Citizen Simian Adventure. "When a triumvirate of far future despots set their sites on the 20th Century, the last hope for freedom rests on one bookish ape."

Probably more Hank McCoy (c. 1972) than I should be proud of, but I compensated by avoiding acrobatic stunts.

Rock!

Well, if you want to rewrite him and take over the character as your own, that's cool.

If not, it's still in the "forming" stages, and some of what you've written there might get casually pulled into the concept, as that's pretty much exactly where I was going, and time to be original is short. :cool:

Psion

Adventurer
X the Mystic

Source of concept: Dwellers of the Forbidden cities has a list of pregen PCs, with names. One that caught my eye as suitably pulpy for this adventure was "X the Mystic". I pictured a Phantom Stranger or Shadow type character. Maybe for kicks, I'll try to work in some homages to D&D characters.

Skills:
Superb: Mysteries
Great: Stealth, ?
Good: ?, ?, ?
Fair: ?, ?, ?, ?

Stunts:
TBD

Phases:
TBD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads