• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Another Burning Plague Gaming Report

Dizlag

Explorer
This is a long post. Bear with me. =)

I ran this adventure for three players the other night. Two have been playing with me every other Friday for over a year now and the third hasn't played D&D for 15 years. The last time he played there was negative armor class and ThAC0. =)

First off, we got two rounds into the last encounter before we called it a night. We had a blast! It was a little slow, but this was our first time trying out these rules and the players were playing two characters each. We had the whole list of characters to choose from, including the Elf Rogue and Dragonborn Warlord from this forum as well. I'll give a description of each encounter, how it played out, and then give my thoughts and their thoughts (what I can remember from what they said anyway ;-). Two players swapped around characters halfway through, but the 2nd edition player played the Rogue and Ranger all night.

Cave Entrance (Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Warlord): - The rogue stealthed up to the cave entrance and the wizard tossed ghost sound (at-will cantrip) on his shoes to make him sound like they were drenched with water / walking on mud / stepped in dung. Yes, he was playing the wizard quite chaotic. Some roleplaying insued getting chuckles from us all around. A great start to the night! Hehehe

DM Comments: Passive Perception vs. Perception is a new concept to wrap my head around. Yeah, it's effectively taking 10 on a Perception check all the time, but when I called for a Perception roll because he was sneaking and he rolled way under a 10. Was this right of me? Or should I have just left the Passive Perception score stand? In combat, I would call for a Perception roll and them rolling lower would be justified in combat is chaotic, lots going on, and easy to "miss hearing / spotting" something.

Player's Comments: The wizard's player is just beginning to see how much fun at-will powers for this character will be. =)

Encounter 1 : "Kobolds!" (Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Warlord) - The wizard's player enjoyed casting the cantrips and casting mage hand on a sunrod for a "torch bearer" was brilliant. Yeah, it used up his minor action every "round", but was pretty kewl to have a floating sunrod while adventuring through the caves. The rogue stealthed up to the encounter area in the shadowy part of his low-light vision and spotted 4 kobold minions getting to position. With this information, the cleric decided to "parley" with a sunrod as a backlight. ;-) As he walked into the encounter area saying (in common), "We mean you no harm!", I had everyone roll initiative. The ranger let loose an arrow taking one down. The minions surrounded the cleric and the wizard tossed his scorching burst centered on the cleric taking the minions out, plus scorching the cleric mustache for 8 damage. With a kobold skirmisher barking for more minions, the Warlord rushed in and got ganked by the kobolds waiting in the shadows. I tossed 4 more minions at the party plus the 2 skirmishers. No one needed to use their Second Wind ability, but the Warlord did take a beating because of the mob attack ability of the skirmishers. The baddies were taken out with arrows, crossbow bolts, magic missiles, and an axe. The cleric rolls his first 1 of the night on his Lance of Faith. ;-)

DM Comments: The kobold's mob attack ability is the awesome! I enjoyed this tremendously throughout the night and the "hit = dead" on the minions is great. I used the 3rd edition "delay / ready action" rules because I didn't see anything for these yet.

Player's Comments: Again, the wizard's player enjoyed the "torch bearing mage hand" and the fact he could do more every round.

Encounter 2 : "More Kobolds!" (Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Warlord) - The rogue stealthed up, spotted two skirmishers behind the first two tables and couldn't see beyond his low-light vision covering only half the room. My two dragonshields were further in behind tables as well. The wizard stealthed up with the rogue (who moved into the room to the left) and using his mage hand cantrip moved the torch into the room right past a skirmisher. I called for initiative at that moment. Ranger stealthed up, didn't spot the kobolds yet, but they didn't see him either. It was the skirmisher's turn next, now at this point the only thing they've seen is a sunrod floating into the room. So, it grabbed it and covered it up … the cave went pitch black. The rogue asked about his low-light vision … I said it's darkness, pitch darkness. He moved back down the hallway a bit on his turn. The wizard lit another sunrod, mage handed it to the front corner of the room and said, "If they want this one, they can come get it!" =) The warlord moved into the room hit the first skirmisher hard, then got ganked by the dragonshields and skirmishers. He got beat on pretty bad, especially in the second round when my minions came out with their flour bags. The wizard shifted away and using the immediate action of the dragonshield I was able to shift with him and still flank the warlord. Have I said how much I like the mob attack ability of these kobolds? Have you ever heard of a kobold getting a +12 on his attack roll? Let's just say, a second wind WAS used by the warlord in this fight, plus the cleric healing him, although after he was hit with a flour bag. LOL That was hilarious! The cleric rolled his second 1 of the night trying yet again to hit with his Lance of Faith. We laughed saying he should wipe the flour out of his eyes first. ;-) The battle turned to their favor as the wizard proceeded to put to sleep all but one of my kobolds. Who didn't wake up very easy. =(

DM Comments: Again, the kobold mob attack ability rocked the PCs. Adjudicating the Sleep spell was a little weird because on a hit the target is slowed (easy enough), but then if they fail their saving throw they go unconscious. So, I waited until after their turn to roll for a save … they still acted, then went to sleep. Definitely different from previous editions where the effect is immediate. Took a little getting used to, but I like it. The Hunter's Quarry ability was brought into question after this battle because as written, the ranger can pick a target and automatically do 1d8 damage to the target as a minor action. I let him know that it can be used to add the 1d8 damage (as a minor action) to a target he hits. No bigs, just thought I'd point that out to everyone how I handled it.

Player's Comments: The player with the warlord hates the mob attack ability. Hehehe He swapped out the warlord for the dwarf fighter and the wizard's player picked up a second character … the halfling paladin.

Encounter 3 : "It's a Trap!" (Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Fighter, Paladin) - The rogue stealthed up the ledge and the bouncing sunrod coming down the hall alerted the kobold slingers and a trap was sprung. Hehehe With the rogue and a kobold slinger looking at each other like a deer caught in headlights I called for initiative. Again, the ranger went first and hearing an Indiana Jones style boulder (I used a donut hole) rolling his way double moved around the corner further down the hallway, moving past the ledge. And yes, the boulder went next! w00t! I didn't need to use my gluepots, the boulder rolled over the rest of them before I need them. The fighter made an immediate saving throw to stay on his feet. But, the wizard and cleric (who's player complained, in jest, about the bakery products ganging up on his character … eheheh) got smooshed and now were behind the boulder. The halfling paladin was lucky enough to not get hit. The paladin moved down around the corner as well, right in front of the ranger and marked a kobold slinger as a minor action. The fighter moved down a little further around the corner, but still in it's path. Hehehehe The kobold slinger marked (we described it as "calling out a foe") by the paladin glued him to the ground hitting him with a gluepot. The rogue was glued to the ledge by another one and the third kobold slinger ran back into cave get help. The kobold archer concentrated his fire on the ranger. Minions came out surrounding the rogue, but not before the wyrmpriest breathed a lightning breath attack completely surprising the players. I think the words, "he did WHAT??" and "these little b.$tard$ are bada$$". The slingers and the wyrmpriest started to take down the paladin, the archer peppered the ranger, and the minions with a slinger took down the rogue. The fighter started to run up the ledge the "long way" around, the cleric was healing and the wizard tossed magic missiles. When the fighter arrived and a scorching burst was tossed (yes, next to the rogue) the tide of battle turned in their favor again, but not until I had taken down the paladin for a second time and the rogue as well. The cleric still didn't hit with his Lance of Faith.

DM Comments: Kobold minions rock. Need combat advantage? Minions will get the job done. Hehehe I liked the trap and how it was integrated into this encounter, kudos Chris! Gluepots and Firepots are just plain fun. Oh, another adjudication note … I hit the paladin with a firepot for "ongoing 2 fire damage". I told him he's starting to catch on fire and will take 2 fire damage at the start of his turn and can make a save at the end of his turn to put it out. He asked if another character could put it out before he takes the damage. I thought about it, had a conversation the previous day about just this thing coming up, and told him yes … a move action used by another player will snuff the fire. How would you all handle this situation?

Player's Comments: Their favorite encounter of the night so far. Very tough and weighted in favor of the baddies because they had such an advantage up on the ledge. They enjoyed the boulder trap as well and more jokes about the cleric's distaste for pastries had us cracking up for a few minutes. Powers, powers, powers! They like them a lot!

Encounter 4 : "Undead!" (Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Fighter, Paladin) - The rogue triggered initiative when he reached for the "shiny jewels" in the pit of bones. The blazing skeleton rose up next to him and two skeletons outside the pit on either side rose up as well. The rogue disengaged by making an acrobatics roll and fired at a skeleton. The cleric moved in and turned the blazing skeleton and one other one. It looked nerfed at first, but then after the damage and the effect was adjudicated we decided turning in 4th edition is just fine. The radiant damage the cleric and paladin characters do really won the fight here. And yes, the cleric finally hit with his Lance of Faith …in fact he crit with it! He gave the +2 attack bonus to the paladin. I did some damage to the cleric with a fire orb, but for the most part they did a good job with this encounter. They were all hurting and the rogue was happy to sneak attack undead, as were the other players. =)

DM Comments: Adjudicating the "Vulnerable 5 radiant" was tricky because I guessed how to do it on the fly … if any radiant damage was done I added 5 to the damage. Is this correct? I talked to the guys here at work about it and they said I did it right. Do you guys agree as well? We were worried turning was too weak, but I can see this power increase as the cleric levels up. The effect turned the tide of battle and coupled with the fact that I forgot I could still act, just not move with the blazing skeleton. So, I missed a round of attacks from the two turned undead. Sneak attacking undead was just fine with me. The rogue was able to contribute to the fight that way as well.

Player's Comments: Radiant damage vs. undead is awesome. Turning seemed nerfed as first, but not that bad after we applied the effects. The paladin and cleric characters really shined in this fight, understandably. They asked, "we took on a level WHAT at first level?"

Encounter 5 : "Hobgoblins! Hobgoblins!" (Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Fighter, Paladin) - We didn’t finish this fight, but I'll still set it up. The rogue stealthed up to this encounter area, saw two hobgoblin soldiers, the archer, and warcaster. One soldier spotted him, but didn't attack just moved forward a square with the second one after the rogue retreated back down the hall. Everyone heard the shifting of the soldiers and I called for initiative. The paladin won initiative and did a "Leeeeeroy Jenkins" into the room going for cover to the left. The warcaster was readied and hit him with a force orb knocking him back 3 squares! w00t! The rogue then tried to stealth into the room, rolled horribly and the archer tagged him for a critical hit. The rogue continued his movement and got behind cover. It was the fighter's turn next and was met with a phalanx of two hobgoblins charging him. They tagged him good! The hallway was pretty much blocked, but the eladrin ranger used his feystep ability to "step" behind cover putting an arrow into the archer. The cleric moved up and took a swing at the closest hobgoblin soldier … miss. The wizard missed on his attack. We started round two with the warcaster hitting the paladin with another force orb and pushing him back 3 squares. Didn't seem to bother the paladin though because he double moved out from cover right next to the warcaster. The archer didn't get an opportunity attack on him because he had a ranged weapon in hand. The paladin then used an action point for another action, but missed. The archer moved to flank the paladin and hit him hard with his longsword. The rogue moved to sneak attack the archer and hit him good too. Both soldiers wailed on the fighter doing some pretty good damage. Then, we called it a night … or I should say a morning as it was almost 2am.

DM Comments: This fight was quickly going bad for the PCs. The paladin would've went down quick from the shock staff and the damage he had already taken. The fighter was going down and the soldiers with their AC 22 was SO tough for the bad luck ridden cleric it hit. =)

Player's Comments: Not many on this fight, just glad the TPK didn't happen. Hehehe This would've been the most difficult fight of the night for them.
[/I]

Overall Comments: As a DM I can toss a whole heck of a lot more at 1st level PCs than I have before. No more having to start at level 3 or 4 in order to do this, you can start with level 1 PCs in 4th edition without worrying about a critical hit from a goblin's shortbow. Adjudicating marking targets was easier than I thought it would be. I was worried about this a lot, but my players helped out and we worked together on it. I'm not sure what about the new rules will make combat faster. It's definitely more fun because of the different powers and more things to do at first level now. But faster, not sure yet what that is yet. Granted, my players were running two characters each and one hasn't played D&D for 15 years … well before 3rd edition came out. He didn't have a problem at all picking up with rules with the other two 3rd edition veterans. My group is going to enjoy 4th edition a lot. It's given D&D a slightly different feel, a more cinematic feel in my opinion. And I like it.

I know I'm missing questions to ask you all, but there's enough in this post to keep you all busy. =)

Again, thank you Chris_Nightwing for recreating the Burning Plague for us. You did a very good job with it and gave us four roleplaying veterans a great night of fun! Everyone else who managed to get through this report, thanks for your time! And thanks in advance for the answers to my questions in this LONG post. =)

Dizlag

Wormwood

Adventurer
Dizlag said:
I told him he's starting to catch on fire and will take 2 fire damage at the start of his turn and can make a save at the end of his turn to put it out. He asked if another character could put it out before he takes the damage. I thought about it, had a conversation the previous day about just this thing coming up, and told him yes … a move action used by another player will snuff the fire. How would you all handle this situation?
Personally, I'd say that a successful easy Heal check by an adjacent character would be enough to grant the Paladin an immediate saving throw.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Dizlag said:
My group is going to enjoy 4th edition a lot. It's given D&D a slightly different feel, a more cinematic feel in my opinion. And I like it.
Welcome aboard!
I really like your summary, by the way.

Dizlag

Explorer
Thanks for the comments, Wormwood! Glad you liked the summary! I like the idea of another character using a heal skill to force an immediate saving throw by the paladin. That seems fair enough to me and will more than likely be addressed in the rules when we get them.

I just remembered a couple of questions I wanted to ask you all:

I remember reading somewhere about only one encounter power can be used per encounter. Is this true? Or can you use all your encounter powers in one encounter, if you have multiple encounter powers?

I completely forgot about the 2nd level utility power called "Tumble" on the Sneak Attack! article about the rogue. Oh well, I let the rogue make an acrobatics check to "tumble" away without taking damage. I'll have to make a note about that for next time. =)

Dizlag

LowSpine

First Post
Wormwood said:
Personally, I'd say that a successful easy Heal check by an adjacent character would be enough to grant the Paladin an immediate saving throw.

I'd go with a move action as well, but I wouldn't use a Heal check, I'd use a Dex/Int check with an immediate save (in other words straight save with dex or int bonus applied, but a natural 1 would cause the character trying to help to catch on fire as well.)

breschau

First Post
Thanks for the report.

Without character creation rules, or full details on warlocks or rogues, I wouldn't put any stock in the ones found here.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads