• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Points of Light: 4th Edition Additions (positive feedback please)

VBMEW-01

First Post
Ok, I see a lot of negative faces out there, and I get it. CHANGE IS COMING!!!!

But I mean everyone must be interested in some part of what's going on or they wouldn't be bothering with it (I hope). So that brings me to the purpose of this thread.

What, in your opinion, is GOOD about the new edition, that you have seen. If your answer is nothing then don't bother with this thread, we'll assume your opinion and give you credit for it :D

I'll post some of my thoughts after the ball gets rolling.

MojoGM

First Post
A lot easier to prep for, that's a big bonus

I like the "Points of Light" thing, and a lot of the flavor I've read in the preview books is interesting.

I like how they are re-imagining some things, keeping the flavor but removing the overlaps.

VBMEW-01

First Post
I like that monsters are not made like PCs anymore.

I like that magic items are cool, but not necessary.

I like not feeling useless in a fight due to class selection.

I love getting the chance to do more in every fight (quicker rounds).

Cadfan

First Post
I like almost everything. Its hard to pick something in particular.

In the most general sense, I like learning and playing roleplaying games. This means that "new" is almost always good. I love poking and prodding at a rule system and making it dance. I like looking at new ideas and getting inspiration from them.

Even if, when 4e comes out, it turns out I don't like it (doesn't look likely from previews), its not like 3e will spontaneously combust. I had one RPG I really enjoyed, now it looks like I get to have two.

Adam72

First Post
Whenever I join a group, I’m always stuck playing a cleric since they never have one. Then, I can’t even use my spells because I’m stuck swapping everything in for healing. So I guess I’m happiest that every group doesn’t NEED to have a cleric anymore.
Then again, maybe I can play a cleric and be able to cast a combat spell or two. I can’t even remember the last time I threw a hold person out there.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I like that it appears everybody will always have something interesting to do. That is to say, all the classes have options beyond "swing sword" and "cast spell".

I will really like simplified monster creation, if it delivers as promised. Homebrewing monsters is one of my favorite DM jobs.

I like the mage orb/staff/can't-remember specialization thing. Just seems cool.

I like parts of the digital initiative. I like the online table and books, but I'd like to know a whole lot more about the pricing for the services, tiles, and minis.

kennew142

First Post
We've only had previews and no one has seen the complete game thus far, so all of the promises could come to nothing. That said, here are the main things I like about 4e so far:

1) first level characters that are both survivable and fun to play
2) magical implements for all spell casters
3) removal of iterative attacks
4) nifty powers for all classes
5) faster combat means more time for RP
6) reimagining of skills as skill groups
7) removal of penalties that penalize characters based on race and class
8) weapon proficiency provides bonus and opens up more specialized use of weapons
9) reimagining default cosmology
10) reduction in power of wizards as compared to other classes
11) NPCs no longer must be built just like PCs
12) reduction of needless symmetry
13) all but removal of alignment from game
14) removal of most Vancian type spell casting
15) more interesting races and monsters
16) ease of play
17) transparency will make low-magic and other genre type campaigns more easy
18) warlord and warlock in PHB
19) new and interesting PC races in PHB
20) reduced prep time for GM

There are more, but these came to me in just a few minutes.

I ran a 4e preview last weekend, and will play in one this weekend.

Stalker0

Legend
I like the monsters, so many very cool monsters so far.

I like the new balance of status effects. Effects seem easier to pull off, but shorter in duration. Makes the combat very dynamic, though I do worry it will increase complexity for the DM.

I like how the fighter and mage are more balanced, and that balance is more determined by what kinds of monsters I use in a fight instead of how many fights a day I use.

VBMEW-01

First Post
I also like the build your own encounter system wherein you can make streamlined additions of traps, terrains, skill tests and possibly social (maybe) encounters to round your fight into a bit more than we've ever been able to do before. I've got a ton of ideas for strange combinations and can't wait to try them out.

Quantarum

First Post
I like the emphasis on balance and making class combinations viable, my biggest complaint with 3E was how easily the classes fell out of balance and how I had to restrict player options for their own good. "You'll never get 7th level spells if you do that."

-Q.

To Greatwyrm: Bring the big tv upstairs and don't forget the remote!

Remove ads