• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruiting for Dogs in the Vineyard

Logos7

First Post
Hello There,

I am recruiting for a Dogs in the Vineyard Game I would like to run here. It will be vanilla Dogs, more or less straight from the book. I am looking for 4-5 players who could post once/weekday or at least once every other day.

If you have any questions/suggestions/ or want to play please post here and lets get the game rollin.

I look forward to your responses.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
You will want to post houserules; how you will determine stats (point buy or roll), what character level, acceptable books; how will you be rolling dice; staring funds and all of that crazy stuff.

Perhaps a description of the adventure's beginning/intro or something like that.

=)

I hope this helps.

Logos7

First Post
Dogs In the Vineyard is a roleplaying game by Vincent Baker you can see more here

Their's no levels and such, I was hoping for people who were already familure with the game ( I don't think I'm up to teaching a boatfull of newbs how to sail.

As for dice, I would probably think logged rolls @ invisible castle, although i'm also comfortable with everyone rolling their own dice and just being trusty to be honest. But I'm open to suggestions on that.

thanks for the bumps people, not quite as newbish as I appear.

Graf

Explorer
I'm very interested in Dogs. I've heard a lot positive about it.
Can I take a few days to "bone up"?

Do you have any suggestions for people who want to participate? What sort of things you expect or don't?

My vampire game on the boards has been a bit bumpy; I think part of the trouble was that I wasn't as clear with people about the sorts of behavior I desired but I, personally, had -very- strong beliefs about the desirability of playerplayer character balance and the strict adherence to the OOC/IC divide.
(a lot of it wasn't conscious of when I started, but players had different expectations; when people feel like they aren't getting what they asked for it can really kill interest.)

I know Dogs has systems to reign this in, but I thought I'd bring it up.

Have you seen Deadwood (HBO TV show)?
Is that a good source for theme and inspiration?
(I love me some Deadwood).

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
PS My preference would be to roll in Invisible Castle. I like public trackable rolls.
(Not a demand or anything, just a preference).

Graf

Explorer
If people are curious about the game then the first two actual play links are a good place to start.

Maybe give people an easier idea of what's being talked about and expected.

(sorry for the repeat posts)

Logos7

First Post
I don't Mind the Repeated Posting, its excellent actually, I should have thought to post actual play myself.

The game is going to be run in the early west with you as mormanesque paladins protecting your scattered communities from demonic influence by enforcing your beliefs. The interesting part about the game is that the dogs are in a certain sense infallible, like the pope or a Japanese emporer's relation to the celestial hierarchy in some sense.

What they say , Go's.

There's a lot of dice rolling, and a kind of pokeresque mechanic of resolution.

I think its a really good game because it formalizes and empowers a lot of PC contribution, while still retaining the good aspects of centralized play and resolution.

as far as boning up, as long as you understand the core resolution mechanic, ceremony, and character creation (which most people can get from reading the core rules section (about 5-11, and 21-30ish) I don't think any of the rest of the system will overwhelm anyone. Its also nice because i find it a much more interesting read than most rules texts (Ymmv)

So essentially, Glad to have you graf, I hope your enthusiastic posting wins over a few more...

Logos

Graf

Explorer
Cool! Thanks!
Dogs is awesome. And it's very hard to get a game going, hopefully we'll see more responses.

I'm getting more up to speed. I liked this, I think it captures the co-operative roleplay spirit well:
DitV said:
It’s especially important to note that everyone playing will form a slightly different picture, leading to slightly different details. That’s fine! As GM, it falls to you to draw the other players’ details into the confirmed, consensus “reality” of the game. When a player asks you, “is there a [whatever] here?” you should either say yes outright, or turn the question back to the group: “I dunno, does it make sense to you all that there’d be a [whatever] here?” Similarly, if you think that a detail you’re introducing might be at all surprising or controversial, take it to the group: “I want there to be a [whatever] here. Does that make sense to everybody?”

I have a few character seeds in mind, but I was wondering... what are your thoughts on character gen. Le book says (as I am sure you are aware)
DitV said:
At the first session, you need to:
— Get a group hit on the setting and setup of the game. If you want you can just read out the “Background” section in the character creation chapter.
— Create characters. Follow the procedure, out loud, at the table. Don’t anybody come with a character already made.
— Play through an initiatory conflict with each player. This a) introduces the game’s dice; b) introduces the players’ characters; and c) begins to establish you, the GM, as the author of the adversity in the game. This is a real big deal.
— Introduce the first town and launch into play proper.
I'd be down with a pure dogs experience, but reading out loud is obviously going to be... tricky.
;)

Logos7

First Post
I think its more an emphasis on communal speak, that the author is striving for. Unlike DnD where the laizai fairre attitude with character creation can often be a good thing, EVERYONE needs to be more involved in EVERYONE's Character Creation in DitV. Needless to say beginings and creating the space required to interact with people will take some time, but i see no reason why it can't be done over play by post.

I do however hope to get a few more players, So I'm still holding out. If you have some suggestions by all means graf.

Logos

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads