Pathfinder OGL/3.5 RPG system from Paizo

Pseudopsyche

First Post
who will kill whom and take whose stuff?

Am I correct in understanding that Paizo is releasing their own 3.75 (not just a "reprint" of 3.5)?

Best case scenario: a year from now, I will have two excellent RPGs to play.

Worst case scenario: some of the 0.25 added to 3.5 will be regarded as Paizo attempting to kill 4E and take its (non-OGL) stuff. Paizo could be a big enough target for WotC's lawyers. Paizo will either have to stick close to 3.5 (and all its flaws) or tread carefully.

Last edited:

Philomath said:
Am I correct in understanding that Paizo is releasing their own 3.75 (not just a "reprint" of 3.5)?

Best case scenario: a year from now, I will have two excellent RPGs to play.

Worst case scenario: some of the 0.25 added to 3.5 will be regarded as Paizo attempting to kill 4E and take its (non-OGL) stuff. Paizo could be a big enough target for WotC's lawyers. Paizo will either have to stick close to 3.5 (and all its flaws) or tread carefully.

The Pathfinder RPG will be their '3.75', but they won't start using it until August '09. In the interim, Pathfinder stuff will be standard 3.5, with the alpha and beta versions of Pathfinder available in PDF (and later print).

Festivus

First Post
Just quickly scanning, this does indeed look like 3.75 to me. I'll wait to read the thing fully before making my mind up, but the 4E simplification of the game is very appealing to me.

What I found most interesting was the whole Pathfinder organized play thing. Very interesting development there. For it to work however, the adventures can't have a cost component to them... at least for me to want to run them.

carborundum

Adventurer
Wow - the boards are going to explode with debate on all these new rules - wizard school at will/ daily powers, combat feats, skill amalgamation, (ducks) grapple...

Lets's see how much ink I have in my printer....

JoshuaFrost

First Post
Festivus said:
Just quickly scanning, this does indeed look like 3.75 to me. I'll wait to read the thing fully before making my mind up, but the 4E simplification of the game is very appealing to me.

What I found most interesting was the whole Pathfinder organized play thing. Very interesting development there. For it to work however, the adventures can't have a cost component to them... at least for me to want to run them.

We haven't set a price for the Pathfinder Society Scenarios, but I anticipate them being incredibly low since they'll (a) only be available in PDF and (b) will be much smaller than a normal Pathfinder Module, for example. I'm thinking it'll be a small fee to cover our cost of hiring someone to write them.

The other option available to you is that we're going to offer participating retail stores (details coming soon) the opportunity to run these events out of their stores for FREE. So everyone will have at least one option to participate in the Pathfinder Society.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Cross Posted From Other Thread

Hell Yeah!!!!
Fight that 800 pound gorilla! You Can Do IT!

As a long time suscriber to Dragon magazine. You already have my loyalty Piazo, and since I'm not switching to 4e and likely not buying from WoTC in the future looks like you can count on the about $400 a year I spent with them being thrown at your quality products instead.

Treebore

First Post
Awesome! Awesome news! I applaud you guys for having the guts to be the flagship for continued 3E support. I wish Paizo great continued success! The only "bummer" news to me is that Necromancer will be your 4E support. I wish they would stay 3E too, but thats a whole different story...

Anyways, at least I won't have any problem making use of great ideas from my favorite companies in the business, Paizo, Necromancer, Green Ronin, and Goodman Games. Now to find out what Joe Browning is going to do. I am assuming Fiery Dragon and Fat Dragon will keep doing their thing, making their PDF's scalable to 3E and 4E miniatures rules, if needed.

Remove ads