Brawler

Szatany

First Post
My humble attempt at a martial controller.

BRAWLER

Role: Controller
Power Source: Martial
Key Abilities: Strength, Charisma
---------------------------------------------------------
Armor Training: Cloth, leather, hide
Weapon Proficiencies: All blunt weapons
Bonus to Defenses: +2 Will
Hit Points at 1st level: 15 + Con score
Hit Points per Level: 6
Healing Surges: 7 + Con modifier
Trained Skills: 4
Skill Modifiers: None
Class Skills: Athletics, Bluff, Endurance, Intimidate, Perception.

CLASS ABILITIES:

Aura of Menace
Enemies within 3 squares from you suffer a -2 penalty on defenses.

Promise of Retribution
Whenever you deal damage to an enemy, you may mark that creature. Creature marked by you deals -2 damage to you.

Good Sport
You gain a +1 power bonus on attack rolls against adjacent enemies for each adjacent enemy beyond the first.

EXPLOITS:

Blind Swing (Brawler Attack 1)
You take a mighty swing at everyone around.
At-Will * Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a blunt weapon.
Targets: All adjacent enemies.
Attack: Melee vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier damage.

Bull Rush (Brawler Attack 1)
You throw your opponent into another.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Melee vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier damage, and you push the target up to 3 squares. If the target ends his move adjacent to another enemy, that enemy takes Str modifier damage.

Hammer Ram (Brawler Attack 1)
You push your opponent with a mighty swing of your hammer.
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier damage, and you slide the target up to 3 squares toward an ally of your choice. The target falls prone in his new position.
Miss: You slide the target 3 squares toward an ally of your choice.

Furious Swing (Brawler Attack 1)
You take a mighty swing at everyone around.
Encounter * Martial, Weapon
Targets: All adjacent enemies.
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier damage. Each hit enemy has a -2 penalty on attack rolls against you until the beginning of your next turn.

Demoralizing Blow (Brawler Attack 1)
You hit your foe in such a way it strikes fear into his companions.
Encounter * Martial, Weapon, Fear
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier damage. Make a secondary attack.
Secondary Targets: Target of the initial attack and enemies adjacent both to it and to you.
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: On their next turn, targets take a move action to move as far away from you as possible.

Skull Crack (Brawler Attack 1)
You drive your enemy’s head into another creature that acts as an anvil.
Daily * Martial, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Str modifier damage. If the target is adjacent to another enemy, instead deal 3[W] + Str modifier damage and make a secondary attack against that enemy.
Secondary Target: One creature.
Secondary Attack: Melee vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Str modifier damage.

Last edited:

Interesting class. So I only have two comments:

1) Why do all the abilities say you have to wield a "blunt weapon"? Shouldn't "unarmed attack" go in there as well?

2) Why is it called a Controller? It isn't. I thought it was going to be a grappling class or something.

Szatany

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Interesting class. So I only have two comments:

1) Why do all the abilities say you have to wield a "blunt weapon"? Shouldn't "unarmed attack" go in there as well?

2) Why is it called a Controller? It isn't. I thought it was going to be a grappling class or something.

1 Many abilities push people around - you can do that with a club but not really with a sword or a rapier (or bow :) ). I think technically an unarmed attack counts. We know it is a weapon and I bet it's a blunt (bludgeoning) one.

2. It isn't a controller? What is it then?
2a. Brawling isn't necessarily grappling, it's making noise during a fight - and since this class is built around intimidation abilities and mace blows, it fits.

Dunamin

First Post
Interesting, but some features appear too powerful.

As an example, the Fighter's "Cleave" is an At-Will power that's basically a standard attack that also deals 3 damage to 1 enemy adjacent to the first. Compare to your "Blind Swing" for the Brawler - I'd say the latter is too potent.

Edit: On the other hand, I guess it should be compared to the Wizard instead as a Controller, and he does have an At-Will power that can affect a similar number of foes... But then again, the d6 damage of that spell would be inferior to an effective melee weapon (possibly better damage, accuracy bonus and/or a property like "high crit").

Last edited:

Szatany said:
1 Many abilities push people around - you can do that with a club but not really with a sword or a rapier (or bow :) ). I think technically an unarmed attack counts. We know it is a weapon and I bet it's a blunt (bludgeoning) one.

Considering 3.x's failure to deal with unarmed attacks properly, I would put in the reference to unarmed striek as well.

2. It isn't a controller? What is it then?

Dunno. Defender or Striker, I'm guessing.

2a. Brawling isn't necessarily grappling, it's making noise during a fight - and since this class is built around intimidation abilities and mace blows, it fits.

I meant that grappling fits the controller archetype. Hitting people hard doesn't; that's more like Defender or Striker.

Szatany

First Post
Dunamin said:
Interesting, but some features appear too powerful.

As an example, the Fighter's "Cleave" is an At-Will power that's basically a standard attack that also deals 3 damage to 1 enemy adjacent to the first. Compare to your "Blind Swing" for the Brawler - I'd say the latter is too potent.

Edit: On the other hand, I guess it should be compared to the Wizard instead as a Controller, and he does have an At-Will power that can affect a similar number of foes... But then again, the d6 damage of that spell would be inferior to an effective melee weapon (possibly better damage, accuracy bonus and/or a property like "high crit").
Please compare to a wizard who stays in melee pretty much all the time, so he needs ways to survive (high hit points, light armor) and discourage enemies from attacking him (pushing, penalties)

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
Dunno. Defender or Striker, I'm guessing.

I meant that grappling fits the controller archetype. Hitting people hard doesn't; that's more like Defender or Striker.
To me grappling fits striker. After all you're affecting only one target.
He doesn't really hit hard, unless you count multiple targets and sum them up.

malcolm_n

Adventurer
This is a pretty cool class. Would you consider adding it to our Original OCC Thread? We could include it with the other new classes, like tinker and sword sage.

Remove ads