Official word on Dragonshield tactics and movement interrupts in general

eleran

First Post
I wrote Mike Mearls about Dragonshield Tactics and got the following response.

mearls said:
Default Re: Dragonshield tactics
Hey man!

This is funny - my friend Dave emailed me precisely this question.

Here is how immediates work with movement:

Immediates always come between a creature's movement between squares. Let's say the ranger can shift 1 square when a creature moves into a square adjacent to the ranger.

A kobold with speed 6 charges the ranger. The kobold enters a square adjacent to the ranger. The ranger moves one square.

If the kobold has movement left, it can keep going and move adjacent to the ranger to complete its charge.

If it doesn't, its move ends and its charge attack misses unless it has reach.

For movement, treat each time a creature leaves or enters a square as its own micro-action that you can respond to. After you respond, the creature still has "unspent" movement it can use, unless your power does something to its speed.

Immediates happen before a creature completes the move that triggered the action. Think of them as activating as a creature enters a square, but before it is in the square.

Reactions trigger when a creature arrives in the square.

Let's go back to the example above, but change it a little. Let's say the ranger has an ability that immobilizes a foe that enters an adjacent square.

Reaction: The foe moves adjacent to the ranger. When the foe is in the adjacent square, the power triggers and the foe is immobilizes.

Interrupt: As the foe attempts to leave a square and enter the adjacent square, the power triggers. The foe is stuck in the last square it was in before it tried to move into the square adjacent to the ranger.

Hoep that helps!

- Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleran
This has generated quite a bit of talk on the forums and I thought I would seek some kind of official response.

How exactly does this ability work?

I will give 2 scenarios and tell you how I read the ability working. Can you tell me if I am right?

1) Pc announces "I move x squares up to the Kobold and then I will use one of my at will powers to attack" I would rule that as soon as he becomes adjacent the kobold would shift and the PC would be unable to attack unless he had reach.

b) PC announces he will charge x squares at the kobold. Since this is all one standard action he would get the charge and attack THEN the kobold would shift away.
Friend to norkers, ally to qullans, champion of Fiend Folio 1e
"Mike Mearls = Gary Gygax on steroids...those poor hapless and unsuspecting players..." - nastynate, CO Boards

Last edited:

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
The short version is this . . . . Like an OA, an immediate action triggered by movement is triggered right at the moment the movement meets the require condition -- move within one space, etc. At that point the reacting character makes the reaction -- in the case of Dragonshield tactics, a shift; in the case of an OA, an attack. Then, once that has been completed or resolved, the acting character can continue his or her movement -- and react to the results of the interrupt action. If, for example, you moved near a target who took an OA and critted you badly, and you changed your mind and decide you needed to get nearer to the cleric, rather than the enemy you were trying to close with, you could use whatever movement you had remaining to move in a new direction.

In the Dragonshield Tactics example, if you move close to the kobold and he shifts back, and you still have movement left, you can continue your movement to close with him again.

-rg

Dausuul

Legend
eleran said:
I wrote Mike Mearls about Dragonborn Tactics and got the following response.

I hope this whole thing is made clear in the Player's Handbook... and I really, really hope they've changed the wording from what's in KotS. This "action doesn't mean action" business is no way to write a rulebook.

Last edited:

hennebeck

First Post
It's helpful, except that they shouldn't have called it immediate reaction and defined immediate reaction as "the triggering action is completely resolved before you take your reaction."

So an action is move or standard or minor...OR it's something else that happens.

You can't use keywords recklessly in a keyword-centric game.

Nail

First Post
I'm not sure I see the confusion.
:1:The Ftr charges a kobold.
:2:The Ftr arrives at the kobold's adjacent square, which may also be the closest square to the Ftr's target.
:3:The kobold uses an immediate interupt action to shift 1 square.
:4:The Ftr can continue his charge, if he has enough move left and if he is not currently at "the closest square adjacent to his target".

Why the confusion? The kobold's action interupts the charge, but need not invalidate it.

D'karr

Adventurer
Nail said:
Why the confusion? The kobold's action interupts the charge, but need not invalidate it.

Because the Dragonshield's Immediate Action is not an interrupt, it is an Immediate Reaction. In other words the reaction does not happen until the trigger is complete. But what they are saying is that the trigger is complete when the opponent is in any square that is adjacent, whether he has completed his move action or not.

fnwc

Explorer
Nail said:
I'm not sure I see the confusion.
:1:The Ftr charges a kobold.
:2:The Ftr arrives at the kobold's adjacent square, which may also be the closest square to the Ftr's target.
:3:The kobold uses an immediate interupt action to shift 1 square.
:4:The Ftr can continue his charge, if he has enough move left and if he is not currently at "the closest square adjacent to his target".

The confusion comes in the fact that, as D'karr has previously stated, an action is not an action when it comes to this description.

"Actions", as we know them, are standard, move, minor and free actions. What this ruling from mearls says is that the "move" trigger in the Dragonshield power is actually triggered by a micro-move in the move action, rather than the action as a whole. This is confusing because they use the word 'triggering action', which would seem to indicate the entire action, whether it be a 'move', a 'charge', etc. If you go by the RAW, then the entire triggering "action" must complete before the Dragonshield activates his power. But this is not the intended effect of the power.

This seems nitpicky, but obviously the wording isn't clear enough due to the misuse of terminology in the power description.

Remove ads