• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Irongorn, the Heavy Ranger (ranger/pit fighter)

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I like melee characters, and after looking over my books I came up with a pretty solid build that kicks butt as a striker but is as solid in defense as a defender, all while having more than a few tricks up its sleeve.

The core synergy is the ranger’s use of the Wisdom ability. It powers the ranger’s flashier moves, contributing to shifts, pushes, and various bonuses. Couple that with Pit Fighter, which has a 16th level feature that lets you add Wis to weapon damage, and you wind up with a heavy-hitting fellow that’s also light on his feet. And then add in the fact that many ranger powers let you make two attacks (effectively doubling the bonus from Pit Fighter), and you’ve got a ginsu-that-walks.

This build is up to 16th level. For future levels, keep bumping Wisdom and Strength. The 21st level bump will increment Con to 17, unlocking Axe Mastery (crit with axes on 19-20), which is good because at that level this guy’s crits would do an additional + 4d10 damage (on top of magic bonuses). With so many of his attack powers allowing two or more attack rolls, he’ll crit often.

So here he is: Irongorn, the heavy ranger.

Human Ranger
Paragon path: Pitfighter
Stats at 1st level:
Str 18
Con 15
Dex 11
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 8

Stats at 16th level:
Str 22
Con 16
Dex 12
Int 11
Wis 18
Cha 9

Skills: Athletics, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, Nature, Perception (human bonus), Streetwise (fighter skill)

Feats
Ranger bonus: Toughness
Human bonus: Chainmail
1st level: Scalemail
2nd level: Platemail
4th level: Weapon Focus: Battleaxe
6th level: Lethal Hunter
8th level: Action Surge
10th level: Fighter multiclass
11th level: Combat Anticipation
12th level: Plate Armor Specialization
14th level: Deadly Axe
16th level: Devastating Critical

Essential Equipment
Plate mail, two battleaxes (I’d go with a Terror axe for the primary and Lightning for the secondary, but for simplicity, we’ll assume all gear is basic and nonmagical)

Basic attack: Battleaxe, + 16, 1d10 + 12 (+ 8 level, +6 Str, +2 proficiency attack; + 6 Str, +4 Wis, +2 Weapon Focus damage)
Crit: 22 damage + 3d10

+2d8 damage if hunter’s quarry

That’s a damage range of 13-22 on a single 1[w] attack, or 15-38 if the target is the quarry. The thing is, most every ranger attack power allows for more than one attack, and some do 2[w] or more per hit.

Defenses
AC 28 (10 base, +8 level, +8 armor, +1 Pit Fighter armor optimization, +1 Plate Armor Specialization)
Fort: 26 (10 base, +8 level, +1 class, +6 str, +1 human)
Reflex: 21 (10 base, +8 level, +1 class, + 1 Dex, +1 human)
Will: 23 (10 base, +8 level bonus, + 4 Wis, +1 human)

All defenses +1 vs anything except Melee attacks (Combat Anticipation)

Powers
At will:
Careful Attack (human bonus)
Nimble Strike
Twin Strike

Encounter:
P: All Bets Are Off (2[w], and make secondary attack)
13: Armor Splinter (two attacks, 1 [w] each. If one attack hits, target takes penalty to AC = Wis bonus. If both hit, it’s worse)
7: Sweeping Whirlwind (close burst 1, target all enemies in burst. 1[w], and push = Wis mod and knock prone)
3: Disruptive Strike (interrupt when you or ally attacked, 1[w] and target takes penalty to attack roll = 3 + Wis mod)

Daily:
15: Blade Cascade (keep rolling attacks until you roll a miss. 2[w] per attack)
9: Attacks on the Run (move and make two attacks, 3[w] per attack)
5: Two-Wolf Pounce (two attacks, then shift 2 and make third attack)

Utility:
P: Deadly Payback (reaction when damaged; gain +2 to attacks and damage vs opponent that damaged you until end of next turn)
16: Evade the Blow (interrupt when hit; shift 1)
10: Open the Range (interrupt when enemy moves adjacent; shift 1, then move = 1 + wis mod)
6: Weave through the Fray (interrupt when enemy moves adjacent; shift = wis mod)
2: Yield Ground (reaction when hit; shift = wis mod, and gain +2 to all defenses until end of next turn)

Paragon Action Point bonus: Extra Damage Action. When you spend an action point to take an extra action, add 1/2 level to the damage dealt by any of your standard action attacks this turn.

The synergies are great. The ideal scenario is to get attacked and take a bit of damage. That triggers Deadly Payback as a reaction. On your turn, begin by spending an action point to attack with Armor Splinter (with the +2 bonus from Deadly Payback and the +3 bonus from Action Surge, one attack is likely to hit) causing at least a 4 point penalty to armor class--remember to add 1/2 your level to the damage of each attack thanks to Extra Damage Action. Then for your normal standard action, finish the poor guy off with Blade Cascade. The bonus from Deadly Payback is still there, but now the target also has a penalty to AC. You can keep rolling attacks until you finally roll a miss, and since it’s all still the same turn you keep the damage bonuses from both Deadly Payback and from Extra Damage Action: a total of +10 damage. Since Blade Cascade is a 2[w] attack, each attack does 2d10+ 12 + 10 damage (a spread of 24-42 per hit, not counting magic weapons or criticals, or the +2d8 to the first attack from hunter's quarry).

Ouch.

Edit: option 4 from one of the below posts, dealing with low Dex by ditching TWF and TWD

Last edited:

FadedC

First Post
That does seem pretty insane, we may have found out first broken combo. Seems like blade cascade is the main culprit, it might need some kind of upper limit to number of attacks.

MindWanderer

First Post
Nice. I'm not convinced all that works exactly by RAW (e.g. Deadly Payback mentions being hit, not taking damage, in your blurb), but I'll likely be stealing some of that. I have a minotaur ranger building in the back of my head... and it ain't pretty.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Its a nice synergy, but since it can only be done once per day, it may not be as broken as it appears at first glance.

Celebrim

Legend
Shroomy said:
Its a nice synergy, but since it can only be done once per day, it may not be as broken as it appears at first glance.

Yeah, but pretty soon someone is going to figure out a way to debuff the target such that the ranger only needs like a 2 to hit. Then his combo is going to average like 800 damage at 15th level.

At that point, absent story based time pressure, the players will be strongly tempted to rest after each blade cascade so that they can go into each battle with their mega powerful combo ready.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Celebrim said:
Yeah, but pretty soon someone is going to figure out a way to debuff the target such that the ranger only needs like a 2 to hit. Then his combo is going to average like 800 damage at 15th level.

At that point, absent story based time pressure, the players will be strongly tempted to rest after each blade cascade so that they can go into each battle with their mega powerful combo ready.

Perhaps, but then again, its a melee attack, so I hope that the ranger is not fighting someone who is flying. Also, it would suck to use these powers against a target that is insubstantial or if the ranger was weakened.

Sojorn

First Post
Huh? I thought Hunter's Quarry damage was only once a round, did they change that?

Edit: Yup. That's a ninjaing. :(

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Good catch MindWanderer, and my bad: the trigger is "You take damage from a melee attack". I'll edit the original post. Also, it's true that Quarry only works on the first attack. I've edited the post.

And yeah, that ideal situation really is just an ideal situation. It's the dramatic, end-of-the-dungeon, finishing move. And it'd really, really suck if you rolled a 1 on that first cascade. ;p

That said, I do think Str/Wis melee Ranger + Pit Fighter is a solid combo, if you beef it up with TWD and armor feats. If you're in the front lines you'll need the AC, and with the need to pump Wis you won't have a high Dex. Of course, your array utility powers can let you choose to dance away (FAR away) if an enemies get in your face.

If anything's broken, it's Pit Fighter. I've built similar characters using cleric and paladin as base classes; they both have build options with Str as primary and Wis as secondary.

Heck, there's an at-will Paladin power, Holy Strike, that deals 1[w] + Str + Wis. Get a dwarf paladin and add Pit Fighter on to that...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads