• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You don't like the new edition? Tell me about it!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
jdrakeh said:
This thread made you give up on 4e? Man, you fooled me. I was pretty convinced that you gave up on it about seven months ago when you got banned from another forum for deliberately trolling the populace with anti-4e sentiments.

No trolling in this thread please. If you don't like the new edition feel free to post about it here. Don't get personal and don't get off topic though.

Thanks

Turanil

First Post
I want to remind some people that this thread is indeed to complain about the last edition, and that lovers of this new game are strongly encouraged to ignore the thread.

Unless of course...

...that what some people hate about 4e, is the fact that some people hate it. :D

(I think it's time for a new edition of a well known quote: "My hat of e4 knows no limit" ;) )

Turanil said:
Unless of course...

...that what some people hate about 4e, is the fact that some people hate it
Yes, that's what I hate. If I would have a hatred for something like this.

Turanil said:
(I think it's time for a new edition of a well known quote: "My hat of e4 knows no limit" ;) )
;)

There must be some misguided fellow with bad spelling out there that hates 4E and needs to vent about it on a message board. Just give it time. He might not have heard of 4E yet... ;)

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
I wouldn't say I "dislike" 4E, per se; it's more that I'm strangely apathetic about it. :cool:

As a life-long D+D player (I'll date myself and say late-70's on), I just don't care for the direction the game is currently headed, both fluff AND crunch wise. And I don't see the need to shell out $90+ to get a new rules set when the 3.5/ Pathfinder set works for me and my group.

And, more importantly, I think that the way WotC handled the 9-month lead-up to 4E was poorly designed and executed. (Yes, perceptions of a company can DEFINTIELY impact people opinions.)

The fact that:
A) It's not really backwards-compatible is a drawback. (Hell, I find myself playing more Gamecube games than Wii games lately!!!)

B) The execution of this plan, from start to finish, was sloppy;
WotC had NINE MONTHS to "Wow" us with 4E; IMO, they made an Epic Fail. I feel, especially in the early stages, they really alienated fans (and possibly other publishers), with the removal of print Dungeon and Dragon magazines, and the annoucement (and subsequent delay) of the GSL.

Meanwhile, Digital Dungeon and Digital Dragon? While the contents remain largely the same as before, it's a PAIN to read online to me, especially when things are doled out in tiny increments. (And is it just me, or do they not even have compiled PDF issues!?)

C) The Digital Inititative/ Gleemax: Putting E-Dungeon and E-Dragon aside, the DI is a complete debacle. Gleemax remains unnavigatable and poorly designed and organized. And I think it's a real mistake to launch 4E without a usable online character generator, especially when they touted the online components as a "cornerstone of the 4E experience."

Kheti sa-Menik

First Post
Vyvyan Basterd said:
Two things I dislike related to 4E:

<snip>
2) That the ENWorld moderators haven't merged all of these redundant "What I hate about 4E" threads. Because it's cluttering up the boards and is really just the same people saying the same things over and over and over...

You could say the same about all the "omg, 4e is the rox0rs!" threads.
Go away.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Lets see..

1. Its still too soon IMO for a new edition. Theres plenty of material left that could have been done for 3.X before they even considered doing a new edition.

2. WotC have removed pretty much everything that made D&D "D&D." The whole feel of the game has gone.

3. 4th is aimed towards an audience that hasn't the faintist notion of interacting with other people over a tabletop - an audience where powergaming is a must in their WoW lives. This is not the audience that it should be directed at.

cwhs01

First Post
Hawken said:
To further explain myself, I'll respond without quoting everything cwhs01 wrote:

Much better and informative than the short list. This is actually helpful for me (generally a 4e positivist), trying to understand the 4e hate. Which should be the real point of this thread, rather than 4e haters patting each others backs. imo.

also. It seemed i made a few factual errors as well, when i tried correcting yours. dangit:)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't say I hate the new edition (I have not read the rules or played it - so that would be silly), but from all the data I have been able to collect on it so far it just doesn't feel "right" to me.

It seems like it could be a decent and even fun game, and I could imagine these kinds of rules if I were seeking to emulate something akin to Warhammer Quest (which is not meant as a put down, I have had hours of fun playing that game), but it does not seem like it would satisfy my D&D jones. I have always been one of them grim n' gritty D&D players and DMs - where choices are hard and you'd better have enough rations and rope, and it is the struggle that defines the level of fun - 4E seems a little too WAHOO! to me, I guess.

Remove ads