• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourth Edition Demo Encounters

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Is there any collection that is known of demo encounters suitable for 1st level characters in 4th edition? I plan on running a small demo game for some of my regular players. Also, I am very, very lazy.

If there isn't, I may post what I generate here. Also, since I am generally regarded as being cool, and because most people who want to be cool do what cool people do, the rest of you ought to do the same. But only if you want to be cool and awesome like Lord Zardoz.

END COMMUNICATION

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Ok, here is what I have got

Goblin Ambush.
Combatants: 6 Goblin Cutters, 1 Goblin Hexer, 1 Goblin Blackblade.

The Goblins have taken up residence in an old fortified inn. The only areas left standing are the dining area and the kitchen, and a common sleeping area. The dining area is dominated by a large table used for communal dining, and a fireplace on the west wall. To the north is the kitchen. The common sleeping area is on the eastern edge, with a corridor going between them. The sleeping area is roughly twice the size of the dining area. The main enterance leads into the dining area. You can get into the dining area or the kitchen from outside (either by the front door or by some holes knocked into the wall of the common area. The kitchen area is connected to the common area by a door, and by a tunnel that goes from inside a cubboard to the fireplace.

The Hexer will attack through a severing window connecting the kitchen to the dining area. Three cutters will keep that door closed. The rest will try to charge in and get flanking, using the blackblades sneak attacks as best as possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Undead: 500
1 Blazing Skeleton
12 Decrepit Skeletons

A bridge crossing with numerous dead bodies nearby. The bridge is 2 squares wide and 8 squares long. There is no railing, and the water is not too difficult to swim across (Athletics DC 15). But there is a strong current that will move someone swimming in it 2 squares every turn. The Undead have a vow to hold the bridge. The Blazing skeleton will become a normal skeleton if it is pushed into the river.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Grated Corridor

Obstacle Trap + 1 Ochre Jelly

There is a long corridor, two squares wide and 40 squares long. There is a pretty harsh obstacle trap within it that will lower some metal grates across the hallway at 6 square intervals. The trap is triggered at the midpoint of the corridor. The Ochre Jelly is able to move through the grates with no difficulty.

Obstacle Trap Counter Measures:
The trap works on a mechanical water based timer. Triggering the trap causes a bunch of water filled buckets to empty. When they refill, the grates will lift.

Skill Challenge 3 / 6:
Athletics: It is very difficult, but the grates can be lifted clear by brute force (DC 20).
Acrobatics: Someone in Light armor could try to squeeze through the grate.
Insight: An insight success will permit all subsequent relevant checks to be DC 10. The Jelly's acid has damaged portions of the grates.
Thievery: It is possible to force a grate to lift by modifying the mechanisms that move the grates. DC 15.
Endurance: It takes a DC 20 check to hold up a grate that has been lifted by athletics

Brute Force: Each Grate has AC 15, (Ac 13 for the rest), 55 HP, and Resist 6 to all.

END COMMUNICATION

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Nice samples. I like the goblin encounter especially (though hexers are nasty, so watch out).

See if you can find the Shadowhaunt adventure from today's gameday, it's an excellent preview.

I have the Shadowhaunt adventure and could discuss some of the points over e-mail, but am unable to re-print in part or whole here (for obvious reasons.) I will say the Shadowhaunt adventure is a typical RPGA style adventure that is geared slightly higher than the party so that character death is an all to possible reality (There was more than one TPK today at Game Day at my FLGS.).

Jack99

Adventurer
Lord Zardoz said:
Is there any collection that is known of demo encounters suitable for 1st level characters in 4th edition? I plan on running a small demo game for some of my regular players. Also, I am very, very lazy.

If there isn't, I may post what I generate here. Also, since I am generally regarded as being cool, and because most people who want to be cool do what cool people do, the rest of you ought to do the same. But only if you want to be cool and awesome like Lord Zardoz.

END COMMUNICATION

If you need a couple of encounters or a demo-game you could just grab raiders of oahurst reloaded from these boards, and run with that? It's quite good.

Remove ads