GSL Update 6/13/08

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
From here
OK so here is the deal.

The GSL is done. This is the license with all the legal language (FWIW this was the most difficult of the documents to write).

The compatibility logo is done. This is the logo that publishers will use.

The Statement of Acceptance (aka Confirmation Card) is done.

The FAQ is done.

The SRD is written but needs a final round of review.

This was the second most difficult document to write. The text was more straight forward compared to the license but it was longer and required more formating. As it stands now it is 72 pages long (it's no OGL SRD by any stretch of the imagination but it is still a weighty tome).

To give some insight into the process of writing the SRD: We started with a vision of what we wanted the document to be. As stated before, the vision was to create a reference document with terms, tables, and templates that would allow publishers to make 4th Edition compatible products. We went through every page of the 3 core books and included pretty much everything that was a term, table, or template and put it into the document. Late last week we decided to add additional content from books that won't be out as I mentioned in a post earlier this week.

So what's the delay?

Well we need to go through and make a final review and do some final go/no go decisions on certain content (Beholders for example). I have my recommendations already highlighted and submitted but this decision can not be made in a vacuum. For this we need all the stakeholders in the room at once (key reps from Brand, R&D, and Legal) with highlighters and red pens in hand. Two key people are out today so we have a series of meetings on Monday to do this final work. I believe that baring some natural disaster, this truly is the home stretch.

So why can't we post what we have ready now? Answer is we need to wait to release the whole document (license and accompanying appendix SRD) together.

Again thanks for your continued patience, understanding, and good vibes (they really help me to keep plugging away :) ).

I'll post another update (or the docs) on Monday 6/16.

Last edited:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Out of curiosity Scott, I thought the benefits praising the GSL was supposed to have the benefit of being able to use as much of Wizards IP as possible (I assumed core "generic" instead of being able to use creatures and NPCs in specific campaign settings), in exchange for the tightening of restrictions (non-viral, content standards, revokability)

So I am a little surprised about the fact that Wizards might still restrict certain monsters, for instance. Although I am not totally surprised--this was true in the old OGL, so I have a feeling some of the coolest creations might be restricted.

And does the compatibility logo say "Dungeons and Dragons" on it?

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
JohnRTroy said:
Out of curiosity Scott, I thought the benefits praising the GSL was supposed to have the benefit of being able to use as much of Wizards IP as possible (I assumed core "generic" instead of being able to use creatures and NPCs in specific campaign settings), in exchange for the tightening of restrictions (non-viral, content standards, revokability)

So I am a little surprised about the fact that Wizards might still restrict certain monsters, for instance. Although I am not totally surprised--this was true in the old OGL, so I have a feeling some of the coolest creations might be restricted.
All I can say is IANAL.

And does the compatibility logo say "Dungeons and Dragons" on it?
Yes

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
One more question then I'll leave you alone.

The SRD is 72 pages.

How big is the actual legal part of the license? ;) I'm just curious if it's bigger than the OGL/STL.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
JohnRTroy said:
One more question then I'll leave you alone.

The SRD is 72 pages.

How big is the actual legal part of the license? ;) I'm just curious if it's bigger than the OGL/STL.

When I print it in 12pt font it is just over 5 pages.

Belen

Adventurer
You have had a year. The edition is out. Presumably, you had the PHB2 information before the edition was released. The lawyers should have already approved it.

Does Wizards not have enough staff to accomplish the job?

I will be interested in seeing the new GSL. Good third party support would go a long way towards getting me to try the game. My faith in Wizards is....lacking.

I do appreciate all your efforts, Scott. You an Linae help remind me of the parts of Wizards that I do like. I do not want to be a complete grouch, but things have been very dissaponting.

Last edited:

ruemere

Adventurer
Scott_Rouse said:
[...]We went through every page of the 3 core books and included pretty much everything that was a term, table, or template and put it into the document. Late last week we decided to add additional content from books that won't be out as I mentioned in a post earlier this week.[...]
Hopefully, your editing software supports tagging (for automated building of references) and allows for reporting functionality with regard to changes only.

Until then... (tf2 = GSL)
http://Joe.Gamer.waits.for.tf2.com/

Regards,
Ruemere

Gilwen

Explorer
Thanks Scott. These communications from you and Linae are having a positive effect on the overall tension. I appreciate the team's work on the license.

Gil

Remove ads