• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Route to Arcane Trickster

Gaiden

Explorer
Required Stats to achieve Arcane Trickster following the path below:

1st Level
Male human Rogue 1: AL NE; Int 18
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 4, Disable Device 4, Disguise 4, Hide 4, Move Silently 4
Skill Points Remaining: 32
Special: +1d6 Sneak Attack Damage
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Metamagic Feat

2nd Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 1: AL NE; Int 18
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 4, Disable Device 4, Disguise 4, Hide 5, Move Silently 5, Knowledge (Arcana) 3
Special: +1d6 Sneak Attack Damage, familiar
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Metamagic Feat

3rd Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 2: AL NE; Int 18
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 4, Disable Device 4, Disguise 4, Hide 6, Move Silently 6, Knowledge (Arcana) 6
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Split Ray, Metamagic Feat

4th Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 3: AL NE; Int 19
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 4, Disable Device 4, Disguise 4, Hide 7, Move Silently 7, Knowledge (Arcana) 7, Knowledge (any) 2

5th Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 4: AL NE; Int 19
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 4, Disable Device 4, Disguise 4, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 8, Knowledge (any) 4

6th Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Assassin 1: AL NE; Int 19
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 5, Disable Device 7, Disguise 4, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 9, Knowledge (any) 4
Skill Points Remaining: 3
Special: +2d6 Sneak Attack Damage, familiar, Death Attack, Poison Use
Feats: Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus – Knowledge (any), Split Ray, Metamagic Feat

7th Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Assassin 1: AL NE; Int 19
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 5, Disable Device 7, Disguise 4, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (any) 10
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus – Knowledge (any), Split Ray, Metamagic Feat
Equipment: Headband of Intellect +4 (crafted using CWI)

8th Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Assassin 1/Lore Master 1: AL NE; Int 20
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 6, Disable Device 7, Disguise 4, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (any) 10
Skill Points Remaining: 7
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus – Knowledge (any), Split Ray, Weapon Focus – Ray, Metamagic Feat

9th Level
Male human Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Assassin 1/Lore Master 2: AL NE; Int 20
Skills (ranks only): Decipher Script 7, Disable Device 7, Disguise 4, Hide 8, Move Silently 8, Knowledge (Arcana) 10, Knowledge (any) 10
Skill Points Remaining: 7
Special: +2d6 Sneak Attack Damage, familiar, Death Attack, Poison Use, Lesser Lore
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Point Blank Shot, Skill Focus – Knowledge (any), Spell Specialization - Ray, Split Ray, Weapon Focus – Ray, Metamagic Feat

Arcane Trickster the rest of the way.

The advantages of this Arcane Trickster are that:

1. He Gets 9th level spell casting ability
2. His Death Attack by the time he reaches Arcane Trickster is already at DC 18 - and will get higher with any increase in INT
3. His Ray sneak attacks (which are ranged touch attacks can do a phenomenal amount of damage for the level of spell): while hasted if he catches his opponent by surprise and wins initiative he can do

Surprise Round Partial Action - cast Haste
Surpise Round Haste Partial Action - cast Split Ray of Frost
Free Action - Cast Quickened (if took that feat) split ray of frost
Round 1 Standard Action - Cast Split Ray of Frost
Round 1 Haste Partial Action - Cast Split Ray of Frost
Free Action - Cast Quickened (again, if took that feat) split ray of frost.

THis would yield 10d3/2+30+20d6=110 dmg

He has used 1 3rd level spell, 3 0th level spells, and 2 4th level spells. Aside from using up his two 4th level slots, he still has a host of spells to draw from. Not to mention, each of these attacks are ranged touch attacks at +5+dex to hit (with a relatively high dex you are hitting almost every time). This would obviously be a bit more devastating if I switched out the 0th level spells for 3rd level rays - I simply DHMBWM right now. In fact, I'd argue that there is the possiblility for getting into smackdown territory (have a recitation, bless, and divine favor cast by some local cleric - or even better, have scrolls of each of the spells - they are cheap enough - and pump all the available extra skill points into Use Magic Device) - and this character is only 9th level!!!

BTW - with just two levels of arcane trickster, that damage goes up by 35 damage and there is the possiblity of having more 4th level spell slots. For this attack to be truly devasting take twinned spell and double all your damage (so long as the requisite 4th level slots are available)

The disadvantages are:

1.) ABSOLUTELY ABOMINATABLY LOW BAB
2.) Saves will suck - reflex and will will be ok, but fortitude is beyond suck
3.) absolute vacuum for the skill points - you will not even be able to be very good in spellcraft - no dispelling for you (this will balance out a bit more as you get higher in levels, but early on, your skills will suck - fortunately you took CWI and can make items to help you - they are so cheap its great)

I can see this character being a lot of fun to play especially around midlevels (early on, its going to be more difficult than not). Early on he begins his life as a spy using his disguise and decipher script to gather info for some organization. Later on after getting some magical training he infiltrates his organizations assassin's guild posing as a killer in need of training who takes out a low level assassin as the entry requirement. Finally he culminates his magical and roguish training to better eliminate the assassins. Somehow he is as good at assassination as all the others (his high Int score makes up for the lack of levels) but has magical abilities as well.

He has never had a problem doing other people's dirty work viewing the squeamishness associated with killing innocents as a view for the weak but frowning upon doing so for no greater purpose. He takes life as it comes considering himself ready for anything but devotes himself to furthering his own interest above all else. The organization he works for has made him very enticing offers, paying him incredibly well - how he had money to build HoI+4, etc. He unfortunately has never really experienced love or friendship in his life being too selfish to give of himself that way. He longs for a time when everyone isn't out for themselves - after all, aren't they?

Last edited:

Velenne

Explorer
I can't fathom why no one else has replied to this yet. It's a rather ingenius build, IMHO. Color me impressed!

And since imitation is the highest form of flattery, I will certainly keep this in mind if I should ever play a rogue/wizard type character.

Gaiden

Explorer
Velenne I can't fathom why no one else has replied to this yet. It's a rather ingenius build, IMHO. Color me impressed!

I was reviewing the idea with a friend of mine and he can't of hit home the limitations of this thought. While it is true that you can get 9th level casting capability you have some severe drawbacks. The lack of BAB will make you suck for all attack rolls except touch attacks - and even then - you still are going to have to some how compensate. Also, your skills will be fairly limited as well.

On the other hand spells should be able to be used to overcome all these hindrances. Also, you should be able to get a fairly good UMD score - with that use cleric wands and scrolls to cast things like divine might and healing.

I think the character would be REALLY fun to play because of all of the options. Also, the way his classes are structured you have sort of a premade history - joins loremasters who need assassinations or need to be protected against them.

Thanee

First Post
I personally don't like the Arcane Trickster/Assassin/Loremaster combination (rather hard to explain this kind of weird combinations in the character background), especially the Loremaster just doesn't seem to fit to the Arcane Trickster IMHO, but it is a way (and the sole reason for the combination) to get around the otherwise required 4 Rogue levels to get the 7 ranks in Decipher Script. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Ender1518

First Post
i was looking through the books and had an idea that you could take arcane trickster @ 9th lvl if u take 1 lvl ninja 1 lvl rouge and 5 wizard and then 4 9th lvl you would be able 2 qualify 4 arcane trickster. does any1 know of a faster way 2 get 2 arcane trickster?

Arkhandus

First Post
Looks like you're using a 3.0 build, right? Since in 3.5, Haste doesn't give an extra partial action.

Going with 3.0, you could take 1 level each in Mindbender and Pale Master instead of 2 levels of Loremaster, and at least it would make a bit more sense. And remember, your 1 level of Rogue will already make Decipher Script and such count as class skills for you in terms of maximum rank; you can buy the remaining 3 ranks in them at the cost of 2 skill points each, but your allowed maximum rank will be the same as a full Rogue's.

ENDER: The Ninja class won't work. It gets Sudden Strike, not Sneak Attack, so it won't help meet the Arcane Trickster's Sneak Attack +2d6 prerequisite.

Most likely, 8th-level is the earliest level you could qualify for Arcane Trickster. Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Assassin 1/Arcane Trickster X (buy some ranks in the needed skills through your wizard levels, even though it'll cost double compared to a rogue).

An alternative for entering the PRC at 9th-level in 3.5 would be to go Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Swordsage 2, if you like to use the Tome of Battle. Assassin's Stance can be taken at that point (initiator level will be 5) for Sneak Attack +2d6.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ender1518 said:
i was looking through the books and had an idea that you could take arcane trickster @ 9th lvl if u take 1 lvl ninja 1 lvl rouge and 5 wizard and then 4 9th lvl you would be able 2 qualify 4 arcane trickster. does any1 know of a faster way 2 get 2 arcane trickster?
You're responding to a post from 2002.

Everyone in this thread is already dead.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads