The Greeks

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, this here is about the last of my really old conversions. in fact, it was the first thing i posted to the creature catalog forum, and even further back before that, i put em up here first. they may or may not appear in Dieties and Demigods (coming out in about 5 weeks?), but here they are all the same, submitted for your approval. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
HECATONCHEIRE

Hecatoncheire (hundred-handed ones)
Colossal Giant
Hit Dice: 16d8+240 (312 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 15 (-8 size, -1 Dex, + 14 natural)
Attacks: 10 (or more) slams +21; rocks +15 melee
Damage: Slam 3d10 +17; rock damage special
Face/Reach: 50 ft. by 50 ft./25 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing, improved grab
Special Qualities: Rock catching, SR 18
Saves: Fort +25 , Ref +4 , Will +5
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 8, Con 40, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +8
Feats: Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Multiattack, Multidexterity*

Climate/Terrain: Any land
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 22
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: 17+HD (Colossal)

The hundred-handed ones are hideous monsters born to the first of the Titans. They are 100 feet tall, and weigh hundreds of tons. Each Hecatoncheire resembles a colossal giant that has fifty heads and a hundred arms, each hand with an unusually high manual dexterity.

COMBAT
Hecatoncheires prefer solitude, not even liking each other's company. They will usually shout a warning to an intruder, and will attack if it is ignored. They are the bitter enemies of the Olympian gods, however, and will attack one of them or any of their worshippers on sight.
As many as 10 Medium-sized opponents getting too close to a Hecatoncheire may be struck by up to ten fists simultaneously. Large opponents may face 2-20 additional attacks, while opponents of Huge size or greater may face 3-30 more fists.
*Despite the creature's low Dexterity score, the Hecatoncheire has amazing manual dexterity with its hands.
Rock Throwing (Ex): A Hecatoncheire can throw fifty boulders in one round, at a range of up to 100 yards. These boulders are hurled with such a force and strength that they cause damage as a meteor swarm spell.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Hecatoncheire must hit a Medium-sized or smaller opponent with at least one slam attack. If the grab is successful, the Hecatoncheire can crush the opponent for 2d10 points of damage per round until the victim escapes.
Rock Catching (Ex): (This works as described in the Giant entry in the Monster Manual. Because they have so many hands, a Hecatoncheire can try to catch nearly any such projectile with its free hands.)

SOCIETY
The Hecatoncheires were born to the Titans Gaea and Uranus millenia ago. Uranus closed them up inside the Earth for their hideousness, and they came to hate all of the Olympian gods. Hecatoncheires all appear to be male and do not propigate; they may well be immortal and all of the ones still living are from the original brood.

SKILLS
Hecatoncheires have a +10 racial bonus to their Listen and Spot skills, due to their 100 eyes and ears.

The Hecatoncheire first appeared in Dieties and Demigods (Gary Gygax, 1980).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
THE GIGANTES

Large Giant
Hit Dice: 16d8+64 (136 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
AC: 19 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +9 natural)
Attacks: Slam +18 melee
Damage: Slam 2d8+7
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: varies by individual
Special Qualities: varies by individual
Saves: Fort +14 , Ref +6 , Will +5
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +13, Jump +13, Spot +7
Feats: Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Sunder

Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class

Gigantes are a race of giants that the goddess Gaea gave birth to when the blood of her mutilated husband Uranus fell upon her earthly form. Gigantes are huge, man-like creatures that often have the forms of serpents somehow integrated into their bodies. Their hatred of the Olympian gods who abandoned them runs deep, and they will never pass up a chance to do one of them harm.
The above stats and description are only for typical Gigantes; each one is an individual and can vary wildly from this norm.

COMBAT
Each Gigante has at least one supernatural power. Gigantes have individual approaches to combat, as dictated by their powers and individual nature.

SOCIETY
Gigantes are strictly individuals, but don't truly have a society of their own. Gigantes don't appear to procreate, and there are no known females; all would appear to be children of Gaea. Two known Gigantes are Antaeus and Enceladus.

Antaeus
Large Giant (Earth)
Hit Dice: 16d8+48 (120 hp)
AC: 16 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +6 natural)
Attacks: Slam +16 melee
Damage: Slam 2d8+7 (at normal size)
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft. (at normal size)
Special Qualities: Growth, Regeneration, Contact With Earth (vulnerability)
Saves: Fort +11 , Ref +5 , Will +4
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +13, Jump +13, Spot +7
Feats: Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Great Cleave, Power Attack, Sunder

Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: Triple standard

Antaeus is the offspring of Olympian gods Poseidon and Gaea. His roots to his mother's earth-based powers are strong, as evidenced by his own powers. Antaeus looks like a typical 11' tall hill giant at first glance, by both size and appearance.

COMBAT
As Antaeus enters combat, he is often underestimated as being only a mere hill giant. His appearance begins to change rapidly however, as he uses his Growth power immediately upon beginning combat, and begins to pummel his opponents senseless with his increasing strength.
Growth (Su): Every round that he is in combat after the first one, Antaeus continues to grow and become stronger. After each combat round, he grows two feet taller (and appropriately heavier), increases the damage on his slam attack by 1d8, and gains 2 points of Strength and Constitution, with appropriate damage and hit point adjustments. He continues to grow until he is strong like a titan: 23' tall, with Str 37 and Con 29, with a slam attack of 8d8+15 damage. Antaeus will remain at this size as long as he fights, and will gradually shrink back down to normal size when the battle is over.
Regeneration (Su): Antaeus heals all damage practically instantaneously at the beginning of each round. When his hit points increase at the beginning of a round, he will therefore have his new maximum hit points.
Contact With Earth (Su): Antaeus must maintain contact with the earth in order for his powers to function. If he is somehow lifted off the ground, his regeneration will no longer work (although he does not lose hit points that he had gained because of it), and he will return back to normal size at the same rate at which he grew.

Enceladus
Colossal Giant
Hit Dice: 16d8+160 (224 hp)
AC: 19 (-8 size, +1 Dex, + 16 natural)
Attacks: 2 Slams +16 melee
Damage: Slams 6d10+12
Face/Reach: 50 ft. by 50 ft./25 ft.
Special Attacks: Frightful Presence, Catch Spells
Saves: Fort +20 , Ref +6 , Will +5
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 12, Con 30, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Intimidate +5, Jump +18, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Climate/Terrain: Any land, usually swamp
Treasure: None

Enceladus is an enormous, malformed Gigante. Above the waist his body is that of a normal giant, if not unbelievably large, but below the waist his body consists of a writhing mass of huge snake bodies and tails. Enceladus horrifies everything that sees him, and the giant is forced to live alone in a desolate swamp.

COMBAT
Enceladus prefers to attack one target at a time, battering with both of his incredible fists. If he notices a spellcaster preparing a spell to use against him, he will often hold back his actions to see if he can try to catch the spell.
Frightful Presence (Ex): Enceladus is so large and horrifying that any beings within 100 yards of him that can see his full form become terrified. Affected creatures must succeed at a Will save (DC 20) or become panicked. Creatures with 10 or more Hit Dice who fail their save become frightened instead.
Catch Spells (Su): Enceladus may sacrifice one or both of his slam attacks to use this ability. He has the power to "catch" one or two spells in each hand, and can thus catch up to four spells directed at him per round. If the spell allows for a saving throw, he must succeed at the save to catch it, although the spell affects him if he fails. If there is no saving throw, he catches the spell automatically. Any spells that he catches he is able to fling back at the caster in the same round. Any such returned spells affect the caster or the area the caster is in fully, as normal.

Antaeus and Enceladus first appeared in Deities and Demigods (Gary Gygax, 1980). Gigantes as a race first appeared in Legends and Lore (Jim Ward and Troy Denning, 1990).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
CERBERUS

Cerberus (Guardian of Hades)
Huge Outsider
Hit Dice: 22d8+110 (209 hp)
Initiative: +7 (Dex, Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft.
AC: 19 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +8 natural)
Attacks: 3 bites +26 melee
Damage: Bite 3d10+5
Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 20 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Poison Spittle, Petrifying Gaze
Special Qualities: Eternal Vigilance, Regeneration 5, SR 15
Saves: Fort +18 , Ref +16 , Will +25
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 24, Wis 30, Cha 20
Skills: Hide +33, Intimidate +35, Knowledge (Arcana) +22, Knowledge (Geography - Grey Waste) +22, Knowledge (The planes) +22, Knowledge (Religion) +22, Listen +60, Search +37, Sense Motive +40, Spot +60
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)

Climate/Terrain: Hades (a.k.a. Grey Waste)
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: ---

Cerberus is the giant, three-headed mastiff that guards the gates to the underworld. His body is monstrously huge, and each of his heads is constantly drooling poison, while breathing out rank dead breath. Cerberus is 30' long, and weighs over a ton.
Cerberus never shirks his duty to the Olympian god Hades, as guardian to the gates of the Underworld of Hades (found on the plane also known as the Grey Waste). He is almost always found at the gates when on his home plane, although his master does occasionally allow him to roam the earth freely. He will always allow dead people to enter the gates, but living people must present a tasty treat as a bribe to get him to let them enter. He will not allow any being, alive or dead, to leave the underworld. If Cerberus is killed and therefore sent to the underworld, Hades simply allows him to leave and journey back to the land of the living.
Cerberus speaks Common, and can speak the language of any being native to the plane of Hades.

COMBAT
Cerberus will normally not engage in combat unless attacked first. He will fight to the death against anyone who attacks him or anyone who tries to leave the underworld without Hades' command. He can bite with any or all of his three heads, but he will often sacrifice one attack to spray his spittle. If he uses all of his attacks on one opponent, he may simply use his petrification attack to eliminate the victim.
Poison Spittle (Su): Cerberus can spit forth a stream of poison from his middle head if he chooses not to bite with it. The spit is Contact poison with a range of 30', Fortitude save (DC 26); initial damage 3d6 Constitution, secondary damage instant death.
Petrifying Gaze (Su): Once per round, Cerberus can turn all three of his heads to face a mortal opponent and turn his gaze upon his victim. The victim must make a Will saving throw (DC 26) or be turned to stone permanently.
Eternal Vigilance (Su): Due to his master Hades' magics, Cerberus is unmatched in his guardianship ability. He cannot be magicked away from his post by any force, nor can he be tricked away by any means, magical or otherwise. Spells designed to move him or enchant him into leaving simply do not work, and any nonmagical attempts at deception are immediately shown to him for what they are.

Cerberus first appeared in Deities and Demigods (Gary Gygax, 1980).

Krishnath

First Post
Hmm, I'm pretty sure that I can find a use for Cerberus. But I'm not so sure about the others... I wonder if Cerberus has any ofspring... :D

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
early word has it that none of these fellows made it into the DDG (although, apparently, the cyclops is in there.) so, just bumping it up. these stats will probably have to be reworked when i get the book, especially since these were among the first conversion i ever did. :)
i'll probably re-post my norse conversions soon as well: fenris wolf, garm, and the fossergrim.

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Well, a couple of my high powered PCs want to try to become the oinoloth, so I can more then likely make good use of Cerberus.
Fenris eh? I know I'd definitely like to see that!:D

Shade

Monster Junkie
Nice work as always, BOZ!

Any chance we'll see a conversion of the Thunderbird from the Native American Mythos in DDG 1E?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
oh yeah, 1E/2E DDG/L&L monsters have been on my list for a long time. :) but they're not a high priority for me, so i've been dragging on them. undoubtedly, i will do more after i get my hands on the 3E DDG. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases