Vagabond template (redux)

Devon

First Post
There had been a discussion awhile back re: creating a template for the Vagabond from the old AD&D Psi Handbook.

I forget where we left off, but someone asked for some ideas so I figured I'd post the two template options we had created. These are not my templates per se, merely my notes from the thread.

- Devon

Vagabond (option 1)
"Vagabond" is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature that has an Intelligence score (hereafter referred to as the "base creature"). It uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Same as base creature

Speed: Same as base creature

AC: Same as base creature.

Attacks: Same as base creature.

Damage: Same as base creature.

Special Attacks: The vagabond retains all the special attacks of the base creature, plus it gains the following special attacks.

Psionics (Sp): The vagabond possesses psionics abilities equal to that of a psionic creature of equal HD (see PsiHB pg. 139). Vagabonds never have powers from the Psychokinesis discipline, however.

Psionic Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): A vagabond possesses all psionic attack and defense modes.

Special Qualities: The vagbond retains all of the special qualities of the base creature, plus it gains the following:

Telepathy (Su): A vagabond can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 ft that has a language.

Immunity (Ex): A vagabond is immune to all mind-affecting magical spells (not supernatural abilities or psionic powers).

Saves: Same as the base creature.

Abilities: Same as the base creature except that Intelligence is changed to 18 and Wisdom improves by +4 and Charisma increases by +2.

Skills: Same as base creature
Feats: Same as the base creature.
Climate/Terrain: Same as base creature
Challenge Rating: Up to 3 HD, as base creature +2
4-7 HD, as base creature +3
8-15 HD, as base creature +4
16+ HD, as base creature +5
Organization: Solitary or as part of base creature?s organization
Treasure: Same as base creature.
Alignment: Any
Advancement: Same as base creature

Vagabond (option 2)
"Vagabond" is a template that can be added to any corporeal creature that has an Intelligence score (hereafter referred to as the "base creature"). It uses all the base creature?s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Same as base creature, or the vagabond's (gained from class levels, if any), whichever is higher (also takes the higher of either one's hit points).

Speed: Same as base creature

AC: Same as base creature.

Attacks: Same as base creature. At creatures BAB, or vagabond's (from its class levels), which ever is higher

Damage: Same as base creature (although special damage, such things as the monk's unarmed damage, could be used).

Special Attacks: The vagabond retains all the special attacks of the base creature, plus it gains the following special attacks.

Psionics (Sp): The vagabond possesses psionics abilities equal to that of a psionic creature of equal HD (see PsiHB pg. 139). Vagabonds never have powers from the Psychokinesis discipline, however.

Psionic Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): A vagabond possesses all psionic attack and defense modes.

Special Qualities: The vagabond retains all of the special qualities of the base creature, plus it gains the following:

Reform (Su): the vagabond can create a body for itself. Should it be unable to inhabit one, the body forms from what seems to be a blob of ink, quickly expanding in three dimensions, into a particular creature; the vagabond can mimic any creature of a challenge rating of 3 + one half of the vagabond's character level (if any).

Inhabit (Ex): the vagabond can merge with a dead or living creature, if given a chance. If it is a dead creature, the corpse is healed of all ailments, and the vagabond is in total control of the body (as the base creature's consciousness has since departed). If the vagabond joins with a living host, it is only able to give strong suggestions, like a back-seat driver; it cannot force the 'host' to take any actions it dose not wish to, but the vagabond can use any powers it wishes to (as if it was a separate creature, as long as it can access the 'components' for such powers).

Telepathy (Su): A vagabond can communicate telepathically with any creature within 100 ft that has a language.

Immunity (Ex): A vagabond is immune to all mind-affecting magical spells (not supernatural abilities or psionic powers).

Saves: Same as the base creature, or its own (from its own class levels), whichever is higher

Abilities: Same as the base creature except as follows: if the base creature was previously deceased, or created by the vagabond, it replaces the base creature's intelligence with a score of 18. Base creature's Wisdom improves by +4 and Charisma increases by +2, plus one half of the Vagabond's class levels.

Skills: Same as base creature, plus skills gained from vagabond's class levels, if any.

Feats: Same as base creature, plus feats gained from vagabond's class levels, if any.

Climate/Terrain: Same as base creature
Challenge Rating: Up to 3 HD, as base creature +2
4-7 HD, as base creature +3
8-15 HD, as base creature +4
16+ HD, as base creature +5
Organization: Solitary or as part of base creature?s organization
Treasure: Same as base creature.
Alignment: Any (Neutral)

Advancement: base creature continues advancement as before except as noted below:
If the base creature was previously dead, or created by the vagabond, then only the vagabond advances in experience. If the vagabond has taken up with a host, then they advance as separate creatures, earning XP, separately. The vagabond needs one-thousand XP to advance to First level, then it continues to advance as an ECL 1 creature.

Last edited:

Thankyou for the ideas and thoughts. What I had in mind for it's use in a story I will be using in my weekly group, a PbP and in Story Hour. Basic idea- Vagabond invasion.

The Vagabonds have used up their natural resources in their home plane. They began sending out scouts (back in 2e) and have decided there are plenty of wealthy planes to use and cultivate. Suddenly, there wioll entraplanar invasions on most planes all at once led by misguided crewatures controlled by Vagabonds.
This will help me get a good starting point to "tweak" them as I need to. I hope to make them more feared than any other sentient lifeform (even over Mind Flayers and Beholders).

Below is the link to the PbP I will be doing which is more of a spoff than anything else. The Story Hour will be more of a dirty and serious campaign vs the invaders. At this point I am thinking of calling it Strikeforce Morituri.

Again thankyou for the templates. When I tinker with them I'll try to remember to post them here. Andy

Remove ads