Fey of the Month #3: The Scorpiontail

Krishnath

First Post
It's time for the third installment in my ongoing series of new Fey, I hope you like it as much as I do :D Anyways, feel free to leave a comment or two, and tell me what you think.

Well, enough stalling, here it is:

-

Scorpiontail
Small Fey (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice:
4d6 (14 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30'
AC: 16 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 Leather Armor)
Attacks: Dagger +1 melee,
Damage: Dagger 1d4-2
Face/Reach: 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Spell-like Abilities,
Special Qualities: Alternate form, DR 5/cold iron, SR 14, Evasion,
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 12,
Skills: Climb +5, Hide +14 (+4), Jump +5, Listen +11 (+2), Move Silently +10, Spot +11 (+2), Survival +9,
Feats: Alertness, Desert Dweller (Savage Species),

Climate/Terrain: Temperate and Warm Desert,
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-5), or band (6-20)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancment: By character class
LA: +5

The scorpiontail is a desert dwelling fey with the supernatural ability to change shape into a large monstrous scorpion.
The scorpiontail resembles a small elf with sunburnt skin and brow hair and eyes. They usually dress in earthen tones.
A gang of scorpiontails is usually lead by a ranger and a band is inevitably lead by a druid.
Scorpion tails speak sylvan and elven, those of exceptional intelligence usually speak common as well.

Combat:
Resources are scarce in the desert the scorpiontails call their homes, and thus they are incredibly aggressive creatures for their alignment. They prefer to use ambush tactics, usually setting such up in desert canyons and other places where they will gain the upper hand over their opponents. They will also raid caravans and small settlements in their hunt for water and foodstuffs.
Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - Camouflage (MotW), Endure Elements, Pass Without Trace, and Sandblast (MotW); 1/day - Neutralize Poison and Summon Swarm; These are as the spells cast by a 10th level druid, save DC: 12 plus spell level.
Alternate Form (Su): As a free action the scorpiontail can assume the form of a large monstrous scorpion, it gains all the physical and extraordinary abilities of the scorpion, but it retains all the scorpiontails special attacks and qualities. Othervise this ability functions exactly like the Shapechange spell cast by a 20th level caster. It can change back as a free action.
Evasion (Ex): If a spell or effect allows a save for half damage, the scorpiontail instead takes no damage on a successfull save.

Scorpiontail Characters:
A scorpiontails favored class is ranger, and scorpiontail leaders are allways druids, or multiclassed druid/rangers. Scorpiontail clerics are very rare, but usually have access to two of the following domains: Animal, Earth, Protection, or Sun.

-

Comments and critizism is appreciated :D

Later,

Last edited:

Bulak

First Post
*Thumbs up.*

Very nice!
Just one question: what's the exact use of the shapechanging ability?

I just looked at #2 too, but where's #1?

Krishnath

First Post
Essentially it becomes a large monstrous scorpion while retaining all it's original abilities (i.e: Damage reduction, spell resistance, spell-like abilities and evasion). Other than that it works as the shapechange spell (check your players handbook for that).

Also, Fey of the month #1: Winter Shade can be found here:

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40830

Feel free to bump it and #2 by commenting on them in their threads.

Later,

Bulak

First Post
What I actually meant to ask was: what do the Scorpiontails use the shapechange ability for? When does it come in handy for them?

Krishnath

First Post
Bulak: combat mostly, poison is quite usefull, not to mention the improvement in AC.

Ferret: Feel free to use it, as long as you don't publish it :D

shivamuffin

First Post
It rocks dude!

Attachments

• fitz.gif
    fitz.gif
    439 bytes · Views: 133

Remove ads