Boneless

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
Here is the Boneless.

Boneless

Boneless are humanoids or monstrous humanoids that have had their bones removed, usually for unholy purposes, and reanimated. They feel their state and are maddened by it.

Their flesh sags, rots, and wrinkles, though slower than zombies and ghouls. They hold a vaguely humanoid shape purely by the strength of their tireless undead flesh. Their heads are shrunken and withered, and most of the loved ones of their previous life will not even be able to recognize them. Their limbs are inhumanly agile, and they can slip through even the smallest opening.

Creating a Boneless
Boneless is a template that can be added to any humanoid, or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the “character”), provided it has bones. The creature’s type changes to “undead.” It uses all the character’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Hit Dice: Increase to d12
AC: +2 AC
Damage: The Boneless have slam attacks. If the base creature does not have this attack form, use the damage values in the table below. Creatures with natural attacks retain their old damage ratings or use the values below, whichever is better.

Size Damage
Fine 1
Diminutive 1d2
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6
Gargantuan 2d8
Colossal 4d6

Special Attack: A Boneless retains all the character’s special attacks and also gains those listed below.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the Boneless must hit an opponent of up to two Size Categories larger than its size with a Slam attack. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.

Constriction (Ex): A Boneless deals damage plus strength as dictated by the table below with a successful grapple check against a creature up to a two Size Categories larger.

Size Damage
Fine: 1d2
Diminutive: 1d3
Tiny: 1d4
Small: 1d6
Medium: 1d8
Large: 2d6
Huge: 2d8
Gargantuan: 4d6
Colossal: 4d8

Special Qualities: A Boneless retains all the character’s special qualities and also gains those listed below as well as the undead type.

Darkvision (Su) A boneless gains Darkvision 60’

Damage Immunity (Ex) Boneless are immune to all Blunt damage.

Grappling Immunity (Ex) Due to their lack of any solid matter to hold onto, Boneless are immune to all attempts by other creatures to Grapple it. This does not apply to creatures attempting to break a Boneless’ hold.

Madness (Su) Upon looking at a Boneless closely everyone within a 5’ radius per size class must make a Will Save DC 10 +1/2 hit dice, + Wisdom bonus or be affected by Confusion (as per spell, cast at a level equal to the Boneless’ hit dice)

Squirm (Ex) Due to their lack of bones the Boneless may slip through even the smallest crack at half their movement rate.

Saves: Same as base creature
Abilities: A Boneless gains +2 Strength, +6 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom
Skills: Boneless receive a +20 racial bonus to all Escape Artist, otherwise same as base creature.
Feats: A Boneless gains Lightning Reflexes.
Climate/Terrain: Any land, usually crypts.
Organization: Solitary, these tormented creatures rarely enjoy the company of one another.
Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +2
Alignment: Usually Evil
Advancement: As base creature

Boneless Medusa
Medium Undead
Hit Dice: 6d12 (32)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30 Ft
AC: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 Natural)
Attacks: Shortbow +8/+3 ranged; or dagger +6/+1 melee; or slam +6/+1 melee,
snakes +3 melee
Damage: Shortbow 1d6; or dagger 1d4; or slam 1d6, snakes 1d4 and poison
Face/Reach: 5 Ft. By 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Petrifying gaze, poison, Improved Grab, Constriction 1d8
Special Qualities: Darkvision, Damage Immunity,
Saves: Ref: +8 Fort: - Will: +5
Abilities: Str:12, Dex:21, Con:- Int:8, Wis:11, Cha:15
Skills: Bluff +11, Escape Artist +25, Disguise +11, Move Silently +12, Spot +9
Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse (snakes)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: By character class

Combat

Petrifying Gaze (Su): Turn to stone permanently, 30 feet, Fortitude save (DC 15).

Poison (Ex): Snakes, Foritude save (DC 14); initial damage 1d6 temporary Strength, secondary damage 2d6 temporary Strength.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the Boneless Medusa must hit an opponent of up to Huge size with a Slam attack. If it gets a hold it can constrict.

Darkvision (Su) A boneless gains Darkvision 60’

Damage Immunity (Ex) A boneless is immune to all Blunt damage.

Grappling Immunity (Ex) Due to their lack of any solid matter to hold onto, a Boneless Medusa is immune to all attempts by other creatures to Grapple it. This does not apply to creatures attempting to break a Boneless’ hold.

Madness (Su) Upon looking at a Boneless Medusa closely everyone within a 20’ must make a Will Save DC 13 or be affected by Confusion as a 6th level sorcerer.

Squirm (Ex) Due to their lack of bones a Boneless Medusa may slip through even the smallest crack at half their movement rate.

Last edited:

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
Thanks :) I was kind of happy with the idea of adding the madness thing. (Since this guy won't Only be used in Ravenloft campaigns I imagine.) Then it just screamed "use me on a medusa!" and so it was. :D

Krishnath

First Post
Actually, now that I've looked over the template again, I have a question? Why the Cha penalty? If anything the boneless creature should be more intimidating and frightening than their regular counterparts, and thus a cha bonus would seem better than a penalty.

Anyways, it's just an observation and a comment. :D

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
Ah, I just figured "how can you be charismatic when you lack bones" but good point, I always forget the othre side of the charisma coin

Edit: Now no charisma penalty, but I just can't see giving them a bonus >_<

Last edited:

Clay_More

First Post
Welcome in here Kitsunekaboom, see you found the Creature Catalogue and our local sage, Mr. Nath. Dont listen to carefully what he says, he might come up with "follow-up" questions if you let him. Can always come in our Underdark Fey lounge :)

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
Hee thanks :) Figured since someone requested it I should post the Boneless here as well. And hey, follow up questions can be helpful sometimes. ;) I also posted here in the past, a really bad magic the gathering adaptation, I mean it was awful. Not even sure Why I posted that one, ah well.

Devon

First Post
I think it's a wonderful idea, well-executed (as it were) :).

I propose that you tighten up the phrasing on the size limitations for its Constriction attack to make it more consistent with its Improved Grab ability.

- Devon

Krishnath

First Post
Kitsunekaboom: If you want to see some good M:TG conversions (if I say so myself, and I do :p), check out my sliver conversions :D

Remove ads