• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Golgordand's Gauntlet

Quickbeam

Explorer
Anyone know where/how to obtain this module? I'm not sure whether it's available online or in stores, but I've heard folks discussing it several times in the recent past.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
"Gorgoldand's Gauntlet" originally appeared in Dragon Annual 5, and was also featured on the freebie CD that was shipped with Dragon #284 and Dungeon #87.

Johnathan

Quickbeam

Explorer
Thanks much. I may even be able to get my hands on a copy of that CD that shipped with Dragon #284.

Has anyone been through the adventure as player or DM, and what are were your thoughts?

LcKedovan

Explorer
Quickbeam said:
Thanks much. I may even be able to get my hands on a copy of that CD that shipped with Dragon #284.

Has anyone been through the adventure as player or DM, and what are were your thoughts?

*********************Kinda spoilers follow

Hi Quickbeam!

Well I ran the adventure for my girlfriend the first time she ever played D&D. She had asked me to run a game for her since I had been spending alot of time online and had no one in Munich, Germany to play with at the time (in fact it spawned an entire gaming group!). She is a real fan of puzzles etc, and the Gauntlet is really much more focused on that sort of thing with some fighting thrown in for good measure. The "minefield" puzzle is a great idea but to be honest once someone figures out the trick to finding the path then it gets quite tedious to force them to figure it out, half way through I just said that they figured it out because she knew what the trick was and was getting bored. I liked it overall, short enough for a night session and it got her hooked on D&D so what could be better? (for me at least ;))

-Will

Quickbeam

Explorer
Thanks for the reply, and don't worry about the spoilers...I already knew the adventure was fraught with traps and puzzles. I was just interested in how enjoyable you found the campaign.

BTW, I love your indicated location :D !

Ma'varkith

First Post
It was a pretty good beginner's adventure, with the exception of the "minefield" puzzle. My first impulse was to throw it out, but I left it in due to not having time to create a replacement. The players' reaction was to roll their eyes once they heard the description.

One player commented that he was going to write the author and tell him that "If I wanted to play Minesweeper, I'd turn on my computer. What I wanted to do was play D&D."

YMMV.

Richards

Legend
One player commented that he was going to write the author and tell him that "If I wanted to play Minesweeper, I'd turn on my computer. What I wanted to do was play D&D."

Ma'varkith - Well, now you can tell your player to save his postage, because the message has been both sent and received. :) I guess in hindsight I can kind of see his point, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. In any case, I always look forward to hearing feedback, good or bad; I think that's true of most people.

LcKedovan - Cool; I'm glad it worked out so well for you. And if you like puzzle-oriented adventures, check out "Challenge of Champions IV" in Dungeon #91. It's definitely puzzle-oriented, and suitable for PCs of any level as well.

Quickbeam - Hopefully you'll be able to track down a back issue. In the meantime, if you want to read a little about the adventure, Dr. Midnight's group (the Knights of the Silver Quill) started their campaign by going through the Gauntlet. The original EN World Story Hour threads are probably pretty well buried by now, but you can read his group's exploits in the Gauntlet on his campaign website at www.rigaming.com/kotsq/tales.htm (Start with the Prologue, as it leads into the adventure.)

Johnathan M. Richards
Author, "Gorgoldand's Gauntlet"

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Wooop! Thanks for the plug, Richards... I was wondering if you'd post in this thread before I could get a chance to mention you're an ENboards nut.

I loved running the adventure, and my players loved playing it. It's lighthearted puzzle-solving fun. None of the weighty, ultra-dark Monte-isms and roomfuls of 4d6 creatures to clean up just for experience. The players later (after RttToEE) complained that they haven't "solved any puzzles in a while". Killing things is fun, but killing things and killing things and killing things makes for a dull game.

I'd love to run G.G. for some players again sometime... ahh, memories.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads