Music Suggestions for a Gothic Horror game

I'm running a Halloween-special for my gaming group: the original Ravenloft module, which most of them haven't experienced.

I'm looking for background music to set the mood. Must be instrumental, dark, eerie, and available on CD. Movie soundtracks OK (even preferred).

Any suggestions?

While I've got a few CDs in my music library good for standard adventuring, the closest fit I have for Ravenloft is the soundtrack to The Crow ... and I'm looking for something a bit more background & suspenseful.

Pretty much anything by Danny Elfman is good. Frinstance, I just watched Sleepy Hollow last night while the new baby was crying. That'd be a great D&D soundtrack for a dark, creepy game.

Morpheus said:
Any of the CDs by Midnight Syndicate should fit the bill (except, maybe, the new D&D soundtrack).

LOL. I've got the D&D soundtrack, and at your suggestion opened the little title flier -- looks like they have some good stuff, right under my nose. Wish I could find them in a music store, though.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Olgar Shiverstone said:
LOL. I've got the D&D soundtrack, and at your suggestion opened the little title flier -- looks like they have some good stuff, right under my nose. Wish I could find them in a music store, though.

ENWorld RPGShop has them.

I found it easily enough -- especially if you order online from towerrecords.com or something like that. It's a bit hit and miss, though -- it's got some great tracks, and some real clunkers.

Signs is another personal favorite of mine for spooky themed games, although I tend to use it more for my X-files like d20 Modern games rather than something like Ravenloft. It'd work, though.

Wombat

First Post
Along another take, there is David Bowie's album "Heroes" -- what used to constitute "side two" has some wonderfully creepy instrumental bits that would be great for the mood; same goes for his album "Low".

Kronos Quartet does some lovely odd bits -- they worked with Philip Glass to do a new score for the old Bela Lugosi version of "Dracula" and the music is fantastic -- string quartet goes Goth and unnerving.

There's always "Psycho" :D

I tend towards classical soundtracks. "Night on Bald Mountain", "Danse macabre", "Mephisto Waltz", that kind of thing.

Any of these, ANY of these is going to be head and shoulders above the musical pablum of Midnight Syndicate.

SpringPlum

First Post
The soundtrack for Interview with a Vampire is pretty good. It is more dramatically evil than spooky, but it might have some tracks that would work.

Remove ads