An Assassin's Tale: The Return of Grummok - A taste of things to come =]

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Howdy all,

Some of you may remember a character I did a while back by the name of Grummok. A gargoyle assassin in a drow city, I detailed Grummoks career from simple cut throat to guild master. I never really felt that I was finished writing about Grummok so I have decided to give it another try in a story hour format and present his continuing adventures. Those of you new to Grummok can check out his history here:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36075

Creamsteak was kind enough to remove all the reader comments for me, so its a pretty fast and easy read.

I will try to update the original Grummok thread with stats for this new story, but don't quote me in that. :D

And to my other readers, don't worry, I will continue to update my other story hour thread, and give you your fill of demons and devils. :D

Dirge

P.S.

For those of you who would like to catch up on the story so far, here are the first 7 installments in a word document.

Attachments

• Assassin's Tale 1-7.doc
    190.5 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Here we go, first installment.

Part I

Deep beneath the earth, secluded in the myriad and labyrinthine passages of Erelhei Cinlu, an assassin remembered.

Grummok sat behind his huge black desk toying idly with a medallion of burnished silver. The gargoyles gaze shifted around the small and secluded space of his personal office, noting the things that filled it. Objects that lent comfort and familiarity hung from the walls and littered the many bookshelves. Weapons and other tools of the trade were evident, but a softer, more cultured touch existed along side these instruments of pain. There were carefully selected works of art, hundreds of books from Grummok’s own collection, and a few pieces of tasteful furniture for the rare guest allowed into the assassin’s inner sanctum. The room was unlit; befitting the lightless haunts of Erelhei-Cinlu, the cavernous drow city in which Grummok plied his trade.

It had been twenty years since Grummok’s bloody ascension to guild master, but the gargoyle had changed little in outward appearance in those two decades. Short for his kind, Grummok stood a shade less than six feet in height, with a good eight inches of this stature owing to the curling horns that jutted from his brow. His face was all teeth and horns, leering and bestial, but behind Grummok’s luminous red eyes there lurked a keen mind, unmatched by most of his drow contemporaries. A great pair of bat-like wings, which were currently folded neatly behind his back, completed Grummok’s rather demonic appearance.

Grummok had learned much of culture and civility since his fledgling days hunting the Ghetto of the Dead, and had taken to wearing fine, but simple clothing, instead of nothing but his battle harness. Today, he wore a simple black tunic, cinched at the waist with a wide, mithral-studded belt. The gargoyle’s own personal insignia was sewn in platinum thread just above his right breast: two crossed daggers, one aflame, the other dark and jagged. The gargoyle was unarmed save for a single dagger at his belt, but it was widely known that even lightly armed, the master assassin was far from helpless.

The days were often hectic for the guild master, for his lofty position was demanding in the extreme. Each day brought a host of requisitions to his desk to which he assigned the appropriate assassin for the job. In addition, the more important nobles in the city would often visit him to request his personal attention on a wide variety of shadowy endeavors. Grummok managed to steer the majority of these esteemed guests to a capable underling, but some nobles, such as the matron mothers of the various ruling houses, simply could not be denied.

Today was yet another busy day, and although Grummok knew that there was much that needed his attention, he had not stirred from his office. Instead, he sat and pondered a flat disc of polished silver as it spun and flipped through his supernaturally deft fingers. Grummok’s mind had been captured by the past and moreover by the stylized fly head that adorned the poor-quality silver amulet. Thoughts that had had lain dormant for over two decades had suddenly come screaming to the surface, and they weighed heavily on the assassin’s mind. Memories of a time that still pained him greatly; memories that Grummok’s own unwitting hand had brought to light.

Today a team of slaves had carried the huge black desk and its accompanying chair from his home to the assassin’s guildhall. The desk and chair had been collecting dust in an unused portion of Grummok’s manse, and had belonged to the former owner, a sorcerer slain nearly twenty years earlier. Grummok, who often entertained influential members of Erelhei-Cinlu’s elite society, had thought the desk would make a bold impression of wealth and importance that his noble guests could appreciate. So a pair of ogre thralls had made the arduous journey from his manse to the guildhall, the mammoth desk strapped to their backs. After they had positioned the desk to Grummok’s liking, he had dismissed the slaves and set about cleaning the dust and grime that had accumulated from decades of disuse.

In the midst of his cleaning, the gargoyle had inadvertently thumbed the catch of a small hidden compartment, concealed neatly in the desk’s polished surface. He had simply forgotten about this secret hidey-hole and what it contained: an unimpressive amulet of tarnished silver. The amulet had once been worn by someone close to Grummok; in fact it had been owned by the only living creature the assassin had ever been bold enough to call friend. The relationship had ended as most do for those involved in the Grummok’s trade, with death and misery. The pain of this loss came flooding back in a torrent, and a single word had escaped Grummok’s lips as he lifted the amulet from the dust of its tiny tomb: Hek.

Hekendale Oakheart, had been a human slave that had eventually become Grummok’s apprentice, and the only person he had ever trusted beyond himself. Hek had fallen under the sway of a secretive cult that worshiped the arch devil Beelzebub, and had been slain by Grummok’s own hand for his forbidden allegiance. Such was the way of Erelhei-Cinlu; those that angered the matron mothers soon found their lives dwindling on the point of an assassin’s blade.

These aching memories had captured Grummok completely, and he had cancelled his few appointments for the day, all with relatively unimportant minor nobles, and sought the seclusion of his office to reflect. So here he sat, as he had for the past three hours, the silver amulet dancing along his fingers as he indulged in memory shrouded in both pain and pleasure. The lightless confines of his office closed in around him like a comforting cloak, and Grummok thought of his friend for the first time in years. But such personal time is scant and ill favored for those of Grummok’s rank, and soon the weight of his responsibilities came crashing down.

In the years he had been guild master twenty-seven attempts had been made upon his life, all of them by members of his own guild. Each had ended in failure, and the death of the would-be assassin of assassin’s; but these failed attempts all served as a reminder that his prestige and power was as tenuous as a lucky dagger thrust. It had been nearly a year since the last attempt, and Grummok was long overdue for another chance to prove his right to rule.

Grummok did not hear his assailant enter his office, and he still did not hear the assassin as he maneuvered in for the kill. He was good; the gargoyle had to admit, but had made a very simple mistake. The assassin had chosen to use an invisibility spell to conceal himself rather than rely upon mundane methods to remain unseen, and this was his undoing. To the untrained eye an invisibility spell was a perfect means of remaining hidden, but to one of Grummok’s experience it was completely useless. A faint shimmering was visible around the assassin’s body as the magic of his invisibility spell bent the light away from him. The shimmering was very faint, but to Grummok it was as obvious as a lantern in the dark.

Grummok watched the assassin thread his way around the pair of high backed chairs before the guildmaster’s desk, noting the height of the figure and guessing him to be drow. He allowed the assassin to draw within ten feet, never moving, never giving any hint that he had detected the intruder’s presence. The barely audible click of a crossbow bolt settling into the firing groove prompted Grummok to action. In one blurred motion the gargoyle snatched the dagger from his belt and hurled it, almost casually, at the approaching shape. A shriek of agony told Grummok that his dagger had found its mark. Before the solid thump of a body collapsing to the floor even reached his ears, the guildmaster had nimbly vaulted over his desk to inspect his victim.

“Heruush!” Grummok cried, as his taloned feet landed on the opposite side of his desk. The simple arcane word released a light spell, and the room was bathed in a fiery yellow luminance. The light elicited another shriek from the would-be assassin, as Grummok knew it would. Drow unlike gargoyles had an aversion to bright light, and Grummok often used this simple fact to his advantage.

The assassin’s invisibility spell had faded, leaving Grummok the spectacle of a young drow noble writhing at his feet. The gargoyle bent over his foe, mouth agape to end the fool’s struggles, when a flash of recognition turned his blood to ice, and closed his mouth with an audible click. The drow had pulled his body into a fetal position, cradled around the protruding dagger in his gut. Blood was slowly leaking from the wound, and a low whimpering arose from the stricken assassin. Grummok had caught a look at the drow’s face in his agony-wracked contortions, confirming a terrible suspicion, and he stepped away, fanged mouth twisted in a snarl of frustration.

“Oh, you little fool!” Grummok spat. “Three weeks! Three weeks and you make an attempt on the guildmaster? You are truly an idiot, Vedreshar.” Grummok’s frustration was well deserved, for the young drow bleeding his life away on the floor of his office was none other than Vedreshar Tormtor, favored grandson of Kezekia Tormtor, the ruling matron mother of Erelhei-Cinlu.

The young noble had arrived at the guildhall less than a month ago, with instruction from Kezekia herself regarding his tutelage. Grummok had known the desperately handsome Vedreshar would be nothing but trouble the moment he laid eyes on him. In his first week alone he had killed two of his fellow apprentices, both while asleep in their bunks. He had slit the throat of each, simply for the pleasure it gave him, and to test the limits of Grummok’s authority. Such killings were not uncommon among the lower ranks of assassins, and the attrition rate for yearlings was nearly fifty percent. So, Grummok had said nothing to Vedreshar regarding the slayings, refusing to acknowledge the young noble by name or deed

In truth, Vedreshar did have a gift for assassination, and Grummok had hoped to cool the fire in the young noble’s blood, and mold him into something useful. So far, all attempts to do so had failed. Vedreshar was uninterested in anything Grummok, or anyone for that matter, had to teach him, and wantonly slew any other pupil who so much as glanced at him. When the impetuous apprentice made an attempt on the life of one of Grummok’s senior instructors, the guildmaster had had enough. Vedreshar was thrown into the deepest, darkest cell Grummok could find, and left there to rot until he could figure out what to do with the murderous young drow.

Despite that fact that Vedreshar had just attempted to kill him, the young noble’s ingenuity impressed Grummok. He had both found his way out of his cell, and gained access to the guildmaster’s inner sanctum. Vedreshar had done all this without raising the alarm, and had managed to get within a dagger’s throw of Grummok himself.

Grummok stared down at Vedreshar, noting the spreading puddle of crimson pooling beneath the young drow. Unfortunately, he could not let Vedreshar die, and be rid of the troublesome young drow for good. Kezekia Tormtor would be less than pleased at the untimely death of her favorite grandson, regardless of who had dealt the fatal blow, or for what reason. With a heavy sigh, Grummok stooped and picked up Vadreshar’s crossbow, which he had dropped after the surprise impact of Grummok’s dagger with his gut. The gargoyle noted the sticky sheen of poison coating the gleaming head of the loaded bolt, and placed the fearsome weapon on his desk. He then moved to one of the many bookshelves that lined the walls of his office, ignoring the faint moans of pain from Vedreshar. He removed a large leather bound volume from the topmost shelf, and placed a probing hand into the dark space left by the vacant tome. Grummok found what he was looking for immediately, and withdrew a small glass vial with a cork stopper.

Grummok’s back was to Vedreshar as he replaced the leather bound book in its rightful spot, and incredibly he heard the soft scuffling of the drow noble getting to his feet. The guildmaster turned, bemused at the sight of Vedreshar, now gripping the dagger that had only seconds before been buried in his gut, shambling forward in a vain attempt to complete his assassination. Grummok let him come, marveling at how even the dark skin of a drow could become pasty and drawn with bloodloss.

Vedreshar made a clumsy overhand lunge with Grummok’s dagger as he closed the distance between himself and the guild master. The guildmaster simply sidestepped the half-hearted strike, and raked the talons of his left hand across the drow nobles face as he stumbled by. Vedreshar shrieked in pain and outrage as the gargoyles needle-like talons dug furrows into his handsome features, and spun to make another attack.

Grummok knew that the longer Vedreshar was on his feet, the less likely the healing potion he held would be of any use. He needed to put the drow noble down. Now.

Vedreshar came at Grummok again, slashing with the dagger and snarling in psychotic rage. Grummok nimbly avoided the first few strikes, giving ground to the advancing drow, waiting for the perfect opening. Vedreshar was weak from lack of blood and half blinded from the bright illumination, making it painfully easy for Grummok to step inside his defenses, catch the wrist that held the drow’s weapon, and drive his knee like a piston into Vedreshar’s crotch. The effect was everything Grummok had hoped for, Vedreshar’s sucked in a great gulp of air, and his eyes flew wide with the pain that only a male can know intimately. Helpless as a babe, the young drow slid bonelessly to the ground in a shuddering heap.

“Vedreshar, if you keep up this foolishness, I will have to kill you, regardless of your grandmother,” Grummok scolded; as he bent down to pluck his dagger from Vedreshar’s nerveless fingers. “Now roll over and open your mouth.”

Vedreshar was incompliant, he had lapsed into unconsciousness from shock and loss of blood, forcing Grummok to roll him over and pour his potion down the drow’s throat. The drow noble spluttered as the thick golden liquid splashed into his open mouth, but managed to gulp down most of the healing concoction. The effect was instantaneous; as the powerful curative worked its way through the young drow’s body, mending his flesh and erasing all trace of the recent trauma he had suffered.

Grummok stepped back, and motioned for Vedreshar to get to his feet. The young drow stood, rage and suspicion creasing his noble features. “You are fool not to kill me, gargoyle,” he hissed, still defiant even after his total defeat.

“Spare me your insolence boy, I could have killed you ten times over in the time it took you to utter that garbage.” It was truth, and Vedreshar knew it. “Now, you are going to listen to me, and you are going to listen well.” Grummok motioned to one of the chairs in front of his desk, as he moved to sit behind the great onyx workstation.

Vedreshar sat, but the defiant sneer never faded from his lips, or the suspicion from his eyes.

“You are a talented assassin, Vedreshar,” Grummok began, taking pleasure in the surprise that registered on Vadreshar’s face at the compliment. “But you will wind up nothing but a corpse if you do not cease these ridiculous rampages. I have tolerated your indiscretions mainly out of the respect I hold for your grandmother, but no longer. The idiocy you have shown here today is more than enough to warrant your execution.” A lie; Grummok knew those of Vedreshar’s lineage were well above any law. “I will allow you to live and resume your studies, but I warn you, one more mishap and I will remove that pretty face of yours along with your balls, and sell you as a eunuch.”

Vadreshar’s jaw fell open at the blatant threat, but he wisely held his tongue.

“Do I have your vow on this, or do I need to start sharpening my flensing knives?”

Vedreshar stared hard at Grummok, and the gargoyle waited for the unpredictable young drow to either spring across the desk in a rage or simple leave in a sulk.

“I will do as you ask, guildmaster, but on one condition.” Vadreshar’s voice was as cultured and smooth as his actions were savage and unpredictable.

“Very well, name your condition,” Grummok said with an exasperated wave of his hand.

“I want to be your apprentice. That is my condition, either accept or kill me now.” Vedreshar’s face was a mask of stubbornness, leaving little doubt that he would not budge from his ludicrous request.

Grummok was taken aback, he had not had an apprentice since Hek, and in the twenty years since Hek’s death, he had no desire to take one. But there was something of Hek’s fire and determination in this young drow, a willingness to better oneself no matter what the cost. In truth, it was the best way for Grummok to keep an eye on the rogue drow, and possibly reshape him into a valued member of the guild. Grummok betrayed none of the roiling emotion that had arise from Vadreshar’s offer as he answered. “Very well, that is an interesting proposal. Meet me in the weapon sparring room tomorrow, and we shall further discuss your continued tutelage.”

A very uncharacteristic smile arose on Vadreshar’s finely chiseled face – a face Grummok was glad to see his talons had not scarred – and he seemed almost child like in his glee. “Yes, guildmaster, I will be there. I will not disappoint you.”

“Good, now take your crossbow and get the hell out of my office.”

Vedreshar responded to Grummok’s order with an almost obsequious alacrity, soon leaving the guild master to reflect on his decision. Grummok sat silent for a few moments before picking up Hek’s amulet, smiling in spite of himself as he remembered the human’s stolid determination and unyielding resilience to adversity. He wondered if his new apprentice had any inkling of the boon he was granting. Many had sought to learn directly from the guild master, but Grummok had turned them all away, directing them to more willing underlings.

With a sigh, Grummok replaced Hek’s amulet in the secret niche in his desk. He then closed his eyes and let himself again indulge in ancient memories.

Last edited:

Allanon

Explorer
Nice! If the above is anything to go by I would really consider selling you're stories to a publisher. I'd pay for stories like this.

Nasma

First Post
Yahoo!! It's great to see your greatest creation (IMHO) continue his adventures BLACKDIRGE. Grummok is the best kind of evil, the kind that you can identify with, the kind that you find yourself cheering for, even though you know that they're the bad guy.

Anyone who has not read Grummok's story, please click on BLACKDIRGE's link. I'm going to read it all again myself, right now.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Part II

Grummok peeled away the dense muscle tissue that filled the bugbear’s chest cavity with the precision of an experienced butcher. The exposed ribs were a near solid mass of bone with little to no gap between each rib. “As you can see the bugbear has formidable protection against attacks to the upper torso. This thick shield of bone” – Grummok tapped the osseous wall – “will turn aside all but the most powerful thrust from a sharp blade.”

Grummok stood in a large square room with a white tiled floor and ample lighting from a magical globe suspended from the ceiling. Four stone tables, complete with wrist and ankle manacles, dominated the center of the room. The corpse of a bugbear currently occupied one of the tables, its vivisected remains spread open for all to view. Grummok hovered over the table, a thin bladed scalpel in hand while a group of six dark elves, wincing at the bright light, huddled around with an air of hushed awe.

The drow elves, assassins in training, were being treated to a rare spectacle, their legendary guildmaster had deigned to spend a few hours imparting a portion of his vast knowledge in the killing arts to a few eager pupils. All the drow where promising students, the very best of the young recruits, for Grummok had no time to waste on mediocrity. Normally all portions of the guildhall were unlit, but Grummok often subjected his pupils to varying degrees of illumination. He did this so his students would slowly become accustomed to the unnatural brightness, as drow light sensitivity was a weakness oft exploited by non-drow.

Grummok held these classes once every week, sometimes working on combat training, sometimes on techniques of stealth and subterfuge. Today he had decided to give his pupils something a bit more visceral.

“The bugbear is a powerful opponent, but certainly not invulnerable.” Grummok continued to lecture. “If you can get behind one—no simple matter, their hearing is very acute—you can strike at a weak spot at the base of the skull. Vedren. Mezekar. If you would.” The gargoyle motioned to two of his students who eagerly came to the head of the table and lifted the bugbear’s head up. “You see here?” Grummok tapped the base of the bugbear’s skull while his students crowded around for a closer look. “Just below the neck joint is a weak spot. A dagger thrust here will almost certainly sever the spinal cord, killing or at least paralyzing the beast.” Grummok watched the eyes of his students as they assimilated the information he had just given them. He knew that each one of them was storing that little fact away for later use.

“How many have you slain personally, master?” The students whirled around in shock at one of their number who had dared speak to the guildmaster.

Grummok detected no disrespect in the question, merely curiosity, as he regarded the slim handsome young drow who had spoken. “I don’t recall, Vedreshar. Bugbears are commonly employed as bodyguards and I have killed a fair number in order to reach a mark.” The drow, Vedreshar Tormtor, was the grandson of Matron Mother Kezekia Tormtor and had recently become Grummok’s own personal apprentice, the first he had taken in two decades. Vedreshar’s recent improprieties, namely attempting to assassinate the guild master himself a scant two weeks ago, had all been forgotten and the young drow had taken to his studies with a will, eager to please his master.

Vedreshar made no remark to Grummok’s reply and seemed satisfied with the answer he had been given. The other students glared at the young drow noble with unabashed jealousy and hatred. Grummok had no doubt that at least a few of them would die beneath Vedreshar’s blade before the year was out.

“Any other questions?” Grummok asked his small class with a needle-toothed grin. There were no takers. “Very well, let us continue. Now the abdomen of the bugbear…” Grummok’s voice was suddenly drowned out by a loud and determined rapping at the iron bound door that served as the vivisection room’s only entrance. The gargoyle looked up in annoyance. “Come!” he barked.

The door creaked open to reveal the odious form of one the guildhall’s many slaves, a half-ogre called Tergot, in this case. The half-ogre had to stoop to fit his eight-foot frame through the door as he shuffled forward into the vivisection laboratory. The large humanoid kept his head down, his bestial features pinched with fear, as no one wanted to disturb the guildmaster if at all possible.

“Sir, woman is here, she want talk you.” The half ogre muttered in broken undercommon, shuffling his feet nervously as he awaited Grummok’s reply.

“What are you talking about? Who is here?” Grummok demanded, laying his scalpel down on the vivisection table and stepping towards the cowering half-ogre.

“Drow women. Agvak say very important. Send Tergot to tell Grummok.” Tergot labored to recall his entire message, speaking slowly and carefully.

Grummok had moved to stand before the half ogre, who towered a full two-feet above the gargoyle assassin, and placed a clawed hand on Tergot’s forearm. “Think carefully, Tergot,” Grummok whispered, digging his long talons into the half-ogre’s flesh and drawing tiny pin pricks of blood. “What drow woman did Agvak send you to tell me about?” Grummok hissed, his eyes burning with impatience. Agvak was Grummok’s major domo and handled all of the day-to-day affairs that kept the guild running, the veteran drow assassin also had sadistic sense of humor, which had most likely prompted him to send the slow-witted Tergot with such an important message.

The drow students watched with a mixture of fear and mocking superiority, secretly hoping that the half-ogre would further annoy the gargoyle assassin, and give them first hand knowledge of the guildmaster’s killing expertise.

Tergot swallowed audibly, his eyes growing wide as his dull mind began to grasp the danger of his situation if he failed to remember the name that had been given him by Agvak. “Please…Tergot not remember name.” The half-ogre mewled pathetically as Grummok’s talons sank deeper into his the dense muscle of his forearm.

Grummok was less than pleased with the cowering half ogre and with a growl of pure aggravation yanked down savagely on Tergot’s forearm, dragging the Half-ogre to his knees with a yelp. Now eye-to-eye with his quarry, Grummok leaned forward pushing his terrible horned visage into the Tergot’s face. “You will remember, Tergot.” Grummok hissed. “Or I will strap you down on to one of these tables and have your skin off one strip at a time.”

Cruel smirks marked the face of each of the young drow standing behind Grummok, all save for Vedreshar, who observed the unfolding drama with stoic reservation.

Tergot’s cheeks were now streaked with tears as Grummok hissed all manner of foul curses and promises inches away from the half-ogre’s contorted face. Grummok’s patience was running thin and his left hand was casually reaching towards his belt and the dagger that hung there, when Tergot’s eyes suddenly lit up with a jolt of mental victory.

“Tormtor!” The half-ogre bellowed. “Kezek… Keza…” Tergot struggled to pronounce the first name of the most powerful drow in all of Erelhei-Cinlu.

Grummok released his grip on Tergot’s arm, allowing the half-ogre to collapse in a sobbing heap at the gargoyle’s feet. “Kezekia Tormtor is here?” Grummok asked quietly.

“Yes! Kezekia Tormtor. Here, want talk you. She in study” Tergot mewled up from the floor.

“Very well, Tergot you may go.” Grummok dismissed the half-ogre casually as if the brutality he had shown moments earlier simply had not happened. Grateful beyond expression, Tergot climbed to his feet and fled into the hallway beyond the vivisection lab.

“Well lads, it seems that I have a very important visitor. If you will excuse me.” Grummok did not wait for his pupil’s response and hurried from the lab. He made his way to his office with great alacrity, no one kept a matron mother waiting, especially one as important and dangerous as Kezekia Tormtor.

Grummok burst into his office to find the matron Mother seated behind his desk, feet propped up on its polished surface. She flashed a brilliant smile that was all teeth, and motioned for Grummok to take one of the guest chairs directly in front of the desk.

Kezekia Tormtor was rumored to be over five hundred year old, but her lithe form and delicate features betrayed none of this advanced age. Always the most warlike of the matron mothers, she wore a formfitting suit of fine mithral links, and knee-high boots of black leather. Her twin maces hung casually from a wide belt, and a scarlet cape was flung over her left shoulder, adding a dash of color to the steel and leather of her attire. Her hair had been short, cut close to her scalp, when last Grummok had seen her, nearly twenty years earlier. But now her silken lockes cascaded down past her shoulder, and were held in place by a simple platinum headband. She was breathtakingly beautiful and without doubt the most dangerous living creature in all of Erelhei-Cinlu

“Matron Mother, I am deeply honored by your presence.” Grummok began as he settled into the chair she had indicated.

“Yes, well I do have that effect on people.” Kezekia said softly, the smile never leaving her face. “How are you, Grummok?” She said, taking her feet of the desk, and presenting her stunning visage to the gargoyle. “It has been too long since last we spoke. I fear you do your job so well, that I have little reason to call upon you personally, unlike your predecessor.”

Grummok did not miss the ominous implications carried by the mention of the former guildmaster. Jen Kedar Everhate, the son of Matron Mother Ganevra Everhate, had been revealed to be the leader of a secretive cult devoted to the worship of the archdevil Baalzebul. Grummok had confronted, and tricked Jen Kedar into confessing his allegiance to the archdevil, nearly losing his life in the process. It was rumored that Jen Kedar lived still, locked away in some lightless cell beneath house Tormtor, tortured to the brink of death every day, only to be magically revived to face an eternity of pain. “Yes, one can learn much from the mistakes of others.” Grummok said quietly, a woeful suspicion slowly kindling in his mind.

Kezekia flashed Grummok another smile, warmer this time. “Don’t look so suspicious, I have no doubt of your loyalty.”

Grummok took a deep breath, and let it out slowly. “Then if I may be so bold, Matron Mother. Why have you come?”

“Simple. I need someone assassinated. That is what you do, correct?” The smile had not left Kezekia’s face, and her words carried only fond mockery.

Grummok finally returned the matron mother’s smile, a predatory gape unchanged by his lightening mood. “Yes, well that is the rumor.”

“Good. Then here is the information you will need to begin.” Kezekia took a deep breath before launching into her briefing, and Grummok caught something in the matron mother’s face. There was fear behind her mask of powerful indifference, an emotion Grummok thought Kezekia Tormtor incapable of.

“It appears that your guild has some competition.” Kezekia began. “A rogue assassin has appeared in our fine city, and has selected a very powerful group of targets.” Anger began to harden the lines of the matron mother’s face as she continued. “Two sons of house Despana have fallen under this rogue’s knife, including the elder boy Nebever. Although as shocking as this is, it is nothing compared to what I must say next. Matron Mother Mevremas Aleval was found slain in her bed, only last night. There were no signs of intrusion, or even a struggle, Mevremas had apparently died in her sleep from a dagger thrust to the heart.”

Grummok jaw fell open, and he could not hide his disbelief at the sheer magnitude of skill and audacity it would take to slay a matron mother in her own home. Mevremas Aleval was the second ranking drow matron in the city, directly below Kezekia Tormtor herself. In addition Matron Aleval was the most powerful sorcerer in Erelhei-Cinlu, it boggled the mind she that had died in her bed without a fight.

“I fear that this is only the beginning.” Kezekia said. “There is no doubt that this assassin will continue killing our nobles if he is not stopped.”

The matron mother’s fear was quite evident now. She feared not only for her life, but her dignity as well. Kezekia Tormtor had been victorious in literally hundreds of battles with rival nobles, and even invading armies. Each time she had stood defiant of her own death, resolute in her faith in the spider queen. But this was entirely different; to face the ignoble death of an assassin’s blade was reserved for the lower ranks of nobility. No one had attempted an assassination of a matron mother, much less succeeded, in nearly three hundred years. It was simply unheard of; Lolth would not recognize the ascension of a daughter who slew her mother with anything beyond her own skill. Direct confrontation was required for those who wished to displace the rulers of Erelhei-Cinlu, and the very idea of anything else was considered the height of political treason and outrage.

“Do not worry Matron Mother, I will put my best to work on this immediately.” Grummok offered quietly.

“No!” Kezekia slammed her fists down on Grummok’s desk, her fear and rage finally breaking through her calm exterior. “No, you will handle this personally. I will not allow this outrage to continue. There can be no failure in this, do you understand, Grummok.” There was venom in her voice.

“Yes, Matron Mother, of course. Please excuse my error in judgment.” Grummok said quickly, bowing his head in acquiescence.

Kezekia’s features suddenly softened, giving way to haggard frustration. Grummok doubted that the matron mother had seen much rest in recent days. “Oh, Grummok, forgive me.” She said. “I should not abuse such a loyal servant.” An awkward apology from one not used to giving them.

“There is nothing to forgive, Matron Mother. It is obvious that you have been under much strain.” Grummok said softly. “I will do everything within my power to see that this menace is eradicated. You have my vow on that.” Grummok’s words brought the smile to Kezekia’s face again, and the brilliance of her dark beauty shown full upon the gargoyle assassin.

“Thank you, Grummok. I knew you would not fail me.”

“Is there anything else you can tell me about these slaying, my lady.” Grummok asked.

“No, and that is without doubt the most maddening thing about this whole affair.” Kezekia seethed. “All of my efforts have yielded nothing, it as if this assassin does not exist, or is invisible to magical divinations.”

This was very surprising to Grummok, for Kezekia Tormtor was the most powerful cleric of Lolth in the city, and her magical resources were nearly unlimited. If Kezekia could not find this assassin through magical means, then no one could.

“Has Mevremas’s body or her room been disturbed greatly?” Grummok asked, thoughtfully.

“No, I left it untouched and ordered that no one enter the room.” Kezekia smiled mischievously. “Henevra is having fits. She cannot take her mothers power until the body has been given to Lolth.”

“That is good, very good.” Grummok said, tapping his chin with one taloned finger. There were often mundane, physical clues left at the scene of a murder that were missed by those too reliant on magic. Grummok hoped Mevremas’s body would yield some information as to the identity of her killer. “Henevra will not hinder me in my investigations?” Grummok asked. The sole Aleval daughter was most likely going mad with desire to take her mother’s place, something she could not do until Kezekia released Mevremas’s body to her.

“If Henevra even glances at you in a way you do not like, I will flay the flesh from her bones. She has been made aware of my wishes in this matter.” This was not idle chatter, Kezekia would be more than happy to enforce such a threat, given sufficient reason.

“Very well, I will begin at once.” Grummok stood and prepared to make his goodbyes.

“Sit down Grummok. There is another matter I would discuss with you.” Kezekia’s eyes remained neutral as she issued her order. Grummok sat without a word and awaited the matron mother to speak.

“How does my grandson fare? I hear he tried to kill you.” Kezekia’s eyes gleamed with mirth at the obviously shock that overtook the gargoyle’s features.

“Uh…well.” Grummok stammered. “He is well, my lady. I was not injured, in fact I have accepted him as my personal apprentice.” The guildmaster marveled at how easily information, even very secret information, reached the matron mother’s ears. “He is one of our brightest students and I have no doubt that one day he will make a formidable assassin.”

“Good, good. I consider it a personal favor that you have taken Vedreshar under your wing. It will not be forgotten.” Kezekia rose from behind the desk and moved towards the door, her standing was an obvious signal that the meeting was at an end.

Grummok breathed an inner sigh of relief as he stood to escort the matron mother to the guild house’s main gate. It was always a risky venture when dealing with the volatile and unpredictable matron mothers. He felt he had done well by merely surviving.

Grummok walked along side Kezekia through the winding hall’s of the guild house, glaring menacingly at the few gawkers who had the courage to remain in the open to get a look at the matron mother. They reached the main gate in a few moments, and at Kezekia’s request, Grummok dismissed the two guards who stood beside the massive iron bound doors.

Grummok turned to make the proper obeisances to the matron mother, only to find that she had quietly moved up very close to him. The heavy female scent of her perfume filled his head with its intoxicating aroma, and she smiled up at him, her eyes gleaming with mischief.

“It is unfortunate that we must meet after so long, beneath such evil tidings.” Kezekia purred, reaching up to trace the length of Grummok’s jaw with the delicate tip of one long finger. “Perhaps when this business has been put to rest we can come together under more…pleasant circumstances.” Her breath was heavy in his face, smelling of mint and honey.

Grummok fought against the tide of desire that rose within him. It had been a very long time indeed since he had experienced any fleshly pleasures. There were no female gargoyles in Erelhei-Cinlu, and he could not bring himself to visit any of the brothels that infested the city like plague. There were too many memories there.

Before Grummok could speak or react to Kezekia’s advance, she pulled away from him, her eyes turning to steel in a heartbeat. “I want this assassin found, Grummok. Do not fail me.” She then threw open the wide double doors of the main gate and strode through to meet her personal guard, which awaited her outside.

Grummok watched her go, his mind aflame with the richness of her smell, and the soft and steel contradiction that was Kezekia Tormtor. Once she had left, he returned to his study, his mind already racing with the blood and pain that would certainly follow the matron mother’s visit.

Last edited:

Remove ads