• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Describe for me a 10 X 10 room

diaglo

Adventurer
in your best form describe for me a 10 x 10 room. place whatever you want inside that will fit.

only stipulation is ....you are the referee (OD&D), DM (ADnD), or GM (d20) and the audience is your players.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The door locks behind you, two dire fiendish half dragon badgers drop down from the cealing, and the stone walls are closing in around you.

Enjoy.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'll describe my spare bedroom. It's about 10x10.

___

You see a room the size of a small bedroom, and with a quick look you determine that it is a bedroom. On the right, against the center of the wall is a queen-sized bed with sheets in disarry. A pair of bookshelves filled with a myriad of paperback books and a few hardbacks sits at the end of the bed. Against the far wall is a desk with a few shelves beneath it. The desk has some junk and a desk lamp on it. In front of you is a window that looks out over the backyard. In the far corner there are a few cardboard boxes stacked up.

Then, I would describe the contents of the bookshelves, or the desk if the PCs mentioned investigating them.

If this was a place with monsters in it, I might draw it out on a map, and then I would draw the window as I described it.

diaglo

Adventurer
Creamsteak said:
The door locks behind you, two dire fiendish half dragon badgers drop down from the cealing, and the stone walls are closing in around you.

Enjoy.

so from this i can conclude...there is a ceiling/roof. and i entered thru a door with a locking mechanism. the walls are stone and appear to be part of a trap.

also there are two occupants....very nasty for low levels...

the action is therefore the thrust of Creamsteak's game.

diaglo

Adventurer
die_kluge said:
You see a room the size of a small bedroom, and with a quick look you determine that it is a bedroom. On the right, against the center of the wall is a queen-sized bed with sheets in disarry. A pair of bookshelves filled with a myriad of paperback books and a few hardbacks sits at the end of the bed. Against the far wall is a desk with a few shelves beneath it. The desk has some junk and a desk lamp on it. In front of you is a window that looks out over the backyard. In the far corner there are a few cardboard boxes stacked up.

Then, I would describe the contents of the bookshelves, or the desk if the PCs mentioned investigating them.

If this was a place with monsters in it, I might draw it out on a map, and then I would draw the window as I described it.

so some background is added in this description. it reiterates what i have seen or done to get to the room. backyard....i must have entered a building with a front or side and therefore a back. bedroom...the world is normal for those who have lived or slept inside in a room with a bed. desk, bed, shelves...furnishings...built for ....someone of a certain race or size or type common to the area..

edit: the sheets in disarray...now i have to figure out what that means...

junk...needs further investigation to determine
boxes also needed more investigation...but they are stacked...so some order is taken to care for them.

die_kluge's room is more for story. his action is in puzzle or riddle solving.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
diaglo said:
the action is therefore the thrust of Creamsteak's game.
My players would go through this chain in about 5 seconds:

1) Rogue: I move back to the door and start on the lock.
2) Barbarian: I rage, and try and hold the walls. Oh, which first? The left.
3) Fighter: What about the dire things? Fine, I'll get them...
4) Wizard: I cast bull's strength on the Fighter...
5) Cleric: Hey thats what I was going to do... fine, I cast it on myself and use my strength domain and try and hold the other wall.

After all that crap, I finally get to roll initiative and start with the dice.

diaglo

Adventurer
visual...already i see a major focus on the visual.

no sounds...no smells...no touch...no taste.

you hear the drip, drip, drip of water from the ceiling pooling in the center of the room...a cobweb brushes your face as you move around. goosebumps form on your arms from the chill air blowing in from the corridor across from you. the door is open and a dim light is at the end. the smell of something long dead accompanies the breeze.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The room you enter is only a little bigger than the town cell that you got out of a week ago, from wall to wall can be crossed in four dwarf steps (3 human). The walls are stone, mortared, underfoot a hardwood floor, it does not creak under your weight. Along the walls tapestries hang, you see no lumps or shoes sticking from them. Overhead - A candelabrum holding numerous candles cast the room in good light, to your right a writing desk, to your left a book shelf, in front of you a door…

Read the grey boxed text aloud to the players:

You enter the stone room through a low archway. The room, which is about 10 feet on each side, is very cold. The low cealing is quite damp, and the floor has an unusual spiral pattern carved into it. Hanging from the center of the cealing is a think silver chain, which ends a few inches above the center of the spiral. Sitting in the far corners are two small stone statues of winged men, each holding a long copper colored rod. To the right of the archway you entered through, there is a small stone bench with 3 black metal rods arranged in a triangle on top.

diaglo

Adventurer
Hand of Evil said:
The room you enter is only a little bigger than the town cell that you got out of a week ago, from wall to wall can be crossed in four dwarf steps (3 human). The walls are stone, mortared, underfoot a hardwood floor, it does not creak under your weight. Along the walls tapestries hang, you see no lumps or shoes sticking from them. Overhead - A candelabrum holding numerous candles cast the room in good light, to your right a writing desk, to your left a book shelf, in front of you a door…

straight forward. dimensions included. and materials. already possible hiding places revealed. as every adventure would look for.

Hand of Evil has a tactical approach. even the lighting is covered. or ways to put the lights out. ;)

Remove ads