Mercy in the Nine Hells... a solo game for Isida Kep'Tukari

For writing, I’ll use the same system you’ve used in your PbPs. “Quotes belong in quotations,” *actions in asterisks,* and thoughts in italics. I’ll be coloring Haman’s speech light green, and Aust’s speech in yellow. Other people's speech will get colored some colored for distinction as well. You can pick a color for Tess and the halfling destroyer of doom, should you wish. :)

Rogue's Gallery

OOC Thread

And without further ado...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
You have many names. Those that fall under chains, who find whips at their backs, those that pray for deliverance, pray with the name, ‘The Angel,’ on their lips. Others, in awe of the reputation of power and benevolence that has come over the past years, simply call you, ‘The Bard,’ as if there were none in the rest of this wide world who practiced the craft of singing and playing.

Then, there are those who oppress others, who destroy the dignity of men, elves, and other good folk for their own ends. They have far more different names for you, whispered in fear in their shuttered halls. ‘Whispering Destroyer,’ or ‘The One that Sees All.’ These names make you chuckle, despite the fact they describe you and your friends.

For over the past twelve years, you, Tesseron Keldare, have dedicated yourself to something far above your own person, or any single person; the ultimate in righteousness... the ideal that might makes right the wrongs of the world. You have been blessed with intensely power arcane skills through your music... and you have dedicated your entire being to defending those with no defenders, overturning usurpers and oppressors.

Many times, this simply requires going around the laws of the Empire, or whatever nation you happen to be in. Sadly, many of these oppressors reign as lords over their victims... a situation you remedy whenever you can. However, this much evil spread over this much territory requires assistance... hence your comrades in arms.

‘The Angels of Mercy,’ they are called in the eastern parts of the Holy Santoric Empire, one of many names they have earned all over through the past twelve years. Once a small band that followed you, followers have gained followers, until this loose knit group of friends has become a true organization, with followers in every city of note within the Empire, and many cities beyond.

Some of joked that the Angels tend to know what is going to happen before it does. This is not really true, but this vast a network of fellows has given you and your followers an impressive intelligence network, one that rivals the knowledge and abilities of many barons and kings.

While you head this massive band, you do not call yourself a leader. Your noble title of ‘Baroness’ comes from a friend long gone, and is one that you use infrequently. Instead, in your eyes, this group is a fellowship of equals, none sitting before the others. Others may follow you if they wish, but you neither force them or lord over them. As long as they work towards goodness towards all, you count them as friend.

On this day, around you stretches the city of Iskeldrun, the enormous haven of humanity, some million and a half souls calling the titanic metropolis home. Rising from all around you are all the monuments testifying to the Empire’s splendor; the spires of the Cathedral of Valor, where priests of Hieroneous sharpen their blades and pray for continued Imperial favor. There also rise the beautiful domes of the sun, their gilt roofs gleaming in the high of the day. The colonnaded complex dedicated to the traditional chief god, Tarantor the Law-giver, that towers near the height of Hieroneous’ spires.

But dominating them all is the massive structure of the Imperial Palace, the Centyn Orbys, Center of the World in Santoric, the priest’s tongue. A mixtures of columns and plazas, battlements and gardens, its structure stretches for many acres, as far as the eye can see on either side, and several hundred feet overhead.

From its highest battlements on this tourney day flutter the same banners that have flown for the past twelve years... blue, with a silver dragon in the middle, a sword clutched in each paw. It is a symbol familiar to you... the sign of House Caladron, Lords of the Empire...

...and your personal friends, as fate would have it. Old adventuring companions from days ago. As things are, you cannot have formal dinners with the Emperor Lucius or Empress Siabrey... over the years your ‘escapades,’ (as your detractors call them) or ‘adventures’ (as Lucius likes to call them with a smile) have made it politically impossible for them to be publicly close.

However, whenever you visit the city, you have the higher honor, in your mind than being invited in and sitting and eating privately with their family, something that happens without fail when you visit Iskeldrun. There are no nobles puffing out their chests, or priests complaining about Imperial favor... just a dinner between friends, where honesty, frankness, humor are all appreciated. Siabrey has vowed that someday you will receive proper recognition, “once all the heads that need beating have been brought to heel.”

At present, edifice in front of you is less sweeping, but still impressive. Saint Valerian’s Square, the enormous plaza directly before the main gates to the Imperial palace, is normally a sea of white and blue marble, high stone buildings of the guilds and merchant houses on either side. This day, all of this is under a sea of timber, hooves, and feet.

It’s been somewhat of a tradition that you come to the tourneys in Iskeldrun every year. The Imperial matches provide some of the largest spectacle in the world... knights from the four corners, and even many combatants from beyond, flock to the city to prove their worth in seven different tourneys. A sea of chivalry, young people whose mouths call for ‘righteousness’ and ‘protecting those who need protection’ can sometimes be a fertile recruiting ground of the best fighters available.

There are also five other tourneys, dedicated to the masterings of magic, and this year, it is one of those contestants that has caught the interest of your friend, Rothallon. If there was ever a ‘second-in-command’ to your organization, Rothallon, a former thief, is it. Whenever you are away, he calmly and coolly manages affairs, from searching out new people to add to your ‘banner,’ to acquiring and dispersing news and reports to those who need them, to dissuading the egos of young hot-heads who sometimes fail to recognize they fight for the same thing... those who cannot fight.

Rothallon himself has taken interest in a young boy who entered the lower mage’s tourneys, and so far has handily... no... crushed every single opponent he has faced, from instructors at the Academy of Magic to court mages themselves. True, Rothallon agrees the boy has not gone against any of the true masters, or full court magicians (who consider the tourneys below their positions), but he has done remarkably well for a boy so young... and someone so apparently a sorcerer.

He is of enough interest, that Rothallon has asked you to come here, and see him in person. Behind you, of course, sit your two trusted friends and confidants for the past several years, Haman the Blade of Song, and Roscoe Greenbottle, her halfling companion. The match he's asked you to watch is fairly short, and once again, the scuffy boy from the North is victorious.

"That one there, bowing so gallantly in rags." *Rothallon will point over the chattering noise of the rather bored crowd. They seemed far more interesting in the smashing of knights together.*

"Big contrast with that old wizard there in all his robes, lying in the dust, wouldn't you say? They say he's from the city of Argon Pale... far to the north, a port in the Northern Tundras. We don't have any one to bring news or information from that far north yet... there are still many tribes up there where only the strong rule, and no one looks after the weak. None have heard anything of your ideas, Tess."

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Could be the next place to start. Heaven knows the North could use some heroes, that's for certain. How about we ask this kid if we can meet him? I'd like to chat and see if he's interested in the good fight... and not just beating the snot out of hapless arcanists..." Tess mused.

"He's not so tough. I bet I could have him on his back in the time it would take him to blink," Roscoe announced, scrutinizing the boy's form.

"I belive you could, dear Roscoe... if having him on his back meant having him fall over in fits of laughter," Haman will say dryly.

*Rothallon will take a look around. The midday sun is rising high in the sky, and the crowds seem to be dispersing for the midday break in the tourneys.*

"Well, he is still down there, recieving his prize from a tourney official. It seems most of the crowd seems to be leaving already. It shouldn't be hard to meander down to the front." *Rothallon will look at Tess and her two companions. "I am shortly supposed to be at the Church of the Valorous. It appears something has annoyed the holier than thou knights of Hieroneous, and it is an itch they need an ex-thief to scratch. Should you like me to deliver your invite to this boy, Tess? And if so, where shall he meet you?"

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Say that again and I'll tackle you with the feathers!" Roscoe warns Haman. Since Haman was notoriously ticklish, this wasn't exactly an idle threat.

*Tess lets the other two duke it out behind her as she answers Rothallon.*

"If you would deliver him that would be great Roth. As for where... How about the Golden Bell inn? I can get a back room there, and they do have really good pastries..." Tess says thoughtfully.

*As the other two duel out their aggressions, Rothallon gives Tess the graceful bow one should always expect from a rogue*

"Very well milday. I'll inform him to be there around... five bells after noon? It will be about supper time, and young minds are always receptive to food... especially pastries!"

*The rest of the day goes by rather uneventfully. The other tourneys are ones that are rather less than interesting to someone of your keen interests... young knights dashing about, and more often than not flopping around in the dust after been knocked off of their mounts. Occassionally a young knight will come without a lady to champion, and on tries to get you to give him a token. His naivete is apparent during his tilt... on the first run he is cleanly unhorsed by his opponent.*

*Around four bells afternoon, Haman will let you know it is probably time to slip out of the common seating before the crowds grow too large, and the three of you make your way through the streets of the capital, towards the Golden Bell.*

*The journey by foot takes most of the hour, as the inn itself is rather out of the way compared to Saint Valerian's Square. Its situated in a 'good' portion of the city, but far away from the ultra-lavish manors of the nobility and merchants, or the massive temples to the gods of the realm. The inn itself on the outside looks well apportioned, and from prior experience you know its rooms are well-kept, and its staff friendly, if discrete.*

*Once the three of you reach the inn, a weathered looking old man is by the front bar. As he comes up to take your names, you spot the young boy in question sitting at the bar, staring at a coin and flipping it, as if lost in thought. He doesn't seem to notice any of you yet.*

[Tess' Spot is high enough she automatically saw him, considering she knew what he looked like and he is in an open place]

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"I'm Tess Keldare, my good man. I was wondering, is there a private dining room open?"

*If so, Tess will pass the man a gold piece tip and walk up to the young boy at the bar.*

"I saw you in the games today. Rather spectacular wins if I do say so myself. Would you do me the honor of joining my comrades and I for dinner?" Tess asks, turning on all the charm as she flashes the young man a brilliant smile.

*The old man will nod, and gladly take the gold piece offered.*

[Tess' Diplomacy result is a 35... um... yeah, positive response, anyone? :) ]

*The boy turns around when you address him, and he pauses for a moment. He looks to be perhaps 17 or 18, his dirty blonde hair tousled, his clothes a simple, ill-fitting set of traveler's tunic and jerkins. He coughs, clears his throat several times, his eyes slightly wide in disbelief at his luck. Finally, a grin starts on his lips.*

"A pretty lady like you? Of course! I'd join you for dinner anytime!" he laughs. "I am Aust Ironstone, Sorcerer and Bladesman extraordinaire, at your service! I am a master conjurer, an expert with the blade, both of which you saw at the tourney where many wizards with their stuffish books were trounced, if I do say so myself!" *he'll stand up and deliver a flashy, if incorrect bow* "And what delightfully beautiful woman do I have the honor of addressing before I join her for dinner?"

"He is about as subtle and humble as a peacock in heat," Haman will whisper during the boy's flamboyant introduction.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"I'd care to contest that 'Bladesman Extraordinaire' title sometime, boy," Roscoe drawls, laying his hand on his gyrspike.

"I'm Tesseron Keldare, Aust, and most pleased to make your aquaintence. These are my companions Roscoe Greenbottle, warrior par excellance, and Haman, the Blade of Song, servant of Jode," she says brightly, ignoring Roscoe for now. "Please, let us go sit down, you must be thirsty after your exertions in the arena."

[Aust got a mere 8 on his Int check to see if he had heard of Tess]

"Tesseron Keldare," Aust will offer to gallantly kiss your hand, "A lovely name for a lovely face."

*Aust will glower slightly at Roscoe, but not even give him a moment's notice. His entire attention is focused on Tess, and occassional glances at Haman*

"And I must admit, I am quite thirsty. The arena was quite hot today, what with hundreds of people watching and the hot sun beating down. Hard work, chasing down those wizards! But it was rather easy once they were cornered," he'll add quickly.

*Once you make it apparent you would like to have a back room, the old man will lead the four of you to a small room, behind the staircase leading to the upper levels. While small, there is a small table and ample room for the four of you to sit. It looks like it was designed for private discussions*

*Aust will alternately look between you and Haman, and its apparent Haman finds his attentions less than pleasing. He'll get a sudden look of inspiration on his face, and then try to flag down a maid or servant. If you watch, you'll see him turn around and flash a huge smile.*

"Tesseron, pray tell, what is your favorite drink? As I won the tourney, I also have the prize money of some 1,000 gold pieces, and I would not mind spending some of it on such a generous woman."

"Blurting out how much money he has to complete strangers. I think we can add naive to his list of traits," Haman will mutter to Roscoe and Tess.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"Save your gold Aust, I am buying dinner for the champion tonight," Tess says sweetly, hiding her own slight impatience.

He's so young, and hasn't had any excuse, like Lucius, to grow up fast. He'll learn soon enough, no doubt.

*Tess orders a variety of food, so everyone's tastes are satisfied, and turns the young champion.*

"Aust, I understand you're from the North. Tell me, what brings you down here?"

"Money, fame, women, glory, an early grave," Roscoe grumbles behind a pint of stout.

Last edited:

Remove ads