Rituals Before Spells

Raven Crowking

First Post
Hi there.

I am thinking of making a change, wherein spellcasters learn ritual versions of magical powers before learning spell versions. I am thinking that this will continue to allow item creation at relatively low levels, while helping to keep the lower magic feel of my world intact (what I call mid-magic).

In essence, the ritual version would take longer to cast. I am thinking that this would also skew players towards divination, and other more-comfortable-at-home type effects. I am also thinking that it takes the ability to use a power for perhaps two levels to make it switch from ritual to spell. Thus, say, a lvl 1 sorcerer would have only rituals to begin with.

I am also thinking of making the ritual system for arcane casters only. IMC, the gods meddle, and this might offset that aspect of divine spellcasting. In any event, there would be a "grandfather clause" on the change -- no character would suddenly lose spells known.

Any comments?

Yair

Community Supporter
That implies a complete reworking of the arcane classes. As they would be nearly useless at battle, you would need to seriously increase their combat-worthiness, which does not seem to work at all for the concept. Notice the changes will also impact a social game - what use is a charm person under your rules? Do not increase their spellcasting abilities, at least in high levels, they are mighty enough as it is.
If you are going to do it, I suggest limiting the effect to one spell level - that means 2 character levels, still a lot, allows for high-level spellcasters to cast 9th level spells in 1 round (at level 19) pre Epic, and allows for the immediate-use of fairly useful spells for that level (one spell level less is still useful). Hence, the change to compensate should not be overly large - perhaps a d6 HD, and some minor perks (floating, one cantrip at will, etc.) occasionally.
Consider also making cutting down ritual time a metamaigc feat. It weakens the base class, but may fit the flavor you are looking for.

Keep in mind the 1st level wizard - what will he do in the adventure? Try to think of each level in terms of "will I play this?". Would it be fun to play a 1st level wizard with access only to 0th level spells? I don't think so. And that's practically what you've got.
So perhaps he needs more perks - perhaps ritual spells, taking longer to cast, also have increased duration? Say, 1st level spells are x5 in duration, 2nd level spells are x3, 3rd are x2, (the same), and the rest the same. Hmmm, that may not be a very good idea, but you get my drift - I don't think the wizard will make an appealing character choice at first level without some compensation for not being able to cast those 1st level spells unless he has tons of time.

Last edited:

Raven Crowking

First Post
Like most campaigns, my game sees a fair amount of armed conflict. However, I don't see a real need to make all classes roughly equal in combat. Also, I should mention that other magical systems, such as the folk and astral charms from The Medieval Player's Handbook, would be in effect. But, yes, the idea would be to intentionally make the flashy spells a little less useful, and the spells you can do at home a little more useful. None of this would affect scrolls, potions, and the like either.

My general idea is that the character gains a new level of spells (say, level one spells at first level). At 1st-2nd level, these spells are rituals, with X3 and X2 casting times. At 3rd level, the character can use 1st level spells as spells. Metamagic feats apply as normal.

Would I play it? Well, I played wizards in 1st and 2nd Edition.....

The opposite side of that question, though, is "Would these changes make arcane casters more rare as a PC choice?" For a lower magic world, making these characters rarer is not necessarily a bad thing.

Any more comments? Ideas? Opinons? Players out there, how would you respond to this kind of change?

RC

Chimera

First Post
I can see, OOG, why you might consider this, but it cripples Wizards.

**cough (Hermetic Magick) cough**

(IMHO: Hermetic types always make things so darn convoluted. By the time you're done performing all the ritual banishings, bells and whistles, you've forgotten what you were doing in the first place.)

Kabol

First Post
theres a feat call .. slow spell thats allows you to lower the effective lvl of a spell by castign it slower < not below its original level > thus allowing you to metta magic with out paying the higher spell cost - maybe do it like that - allow spells to be meta magiced with out paying higher cost the longer you Ritual cast it.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Kabol said:
theres a feat call .. slow spell thats allows you to lower the effective lvl of a spell by castign it slower < not below its original level > thus allowing you to metta magic with out paying the higher spell cost - maybe do it like that - allow spells to be meta magiced with out paying higher cost the longer you Ritual cast it.

In some ways, I'd like to give casters more spells, if I can do it without giving them more flash. The astral charms, folk charms, and theurgic rituals from The Medieval Player's Handbook are a step in the right direction there, I think.

RC

Remove ads