• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

0th level spells for every caster

Soldarin

First Post
I was working on my D&D char sheet (excel) and noticed the odd thing that every caster except paladins and rangers get 0th level spells. I then decided to give some to these poor buggers, starting with one and then using the same progression as a wizard (except that it starts at the level where the pal/rng gets his first 1st level spell if he has bonus spells). They use cleric and druid 0th level spells respectively.

Then I noticed that every spell level gets bonus spells, but not 0th level spells, so I decided to extrapolate (very easy to do!) to give every caster bonus 0th level spells, just like all the other spell levels.

Now I know this has increased the power of spellcasters somewhat (mainly by adding a single 0th level spell), but I was wondering if you'd agree that this makes more sense.

laiyna

First Post
It did not make sense before so the change is an improvement. I saw it also before but did not bother to change it, the impact is very low.
Lai

Jens

First Post
If you take a look at THIS LINK, you'll see that you're not the only one to think there's something wrong :). I think the spell lists for Paladins and Rangers are the ones I came up with, but the rest is not my ideas.

I agree that adding orisons to the lesser spellcasters should be a really minor thing. I'd not do it exactly like the page describes, but close:
- not start start them off until 3rd level for minor spellcasters
- give all spellcasters bonus orisons for high attributes (as many as extra 4th level spells)

Destil

Explorer
I do bonus 0th level spells the same way psionic powers work - you get a bonus equal to your key ability mod per day.

Aaron2

Explorer
Bonus 0 level spells

I've been giving bonus 0 level spells since my campaign started. It's only had minor impact and no problems.

Aaron

Remove ads