Pathfinder 1E 1e Paladin's Aura of Justice: OP?

Stalker0

Legend
I've been playing a straight paladin in my friend's campaign for a long while, starting at 6th and now all the way to 18th. Now the Paladin's smite has always been tremendously powerful against "BBEGs", it really turns me into a juggernaught. But the Aura of Justice ability to grant my smite to the entire party just seems insane. Numerous times my group has come across some heinous monster way above our paygrade, and we just mowed through it in 1 round due to my group smite. When I get smite, its incredible....when the party fighter, rogue, and archer all get it, the damage just goes through the roof.

Now around 11th when I first got it, it was mostly limited by the times per day, consuming 2 smites a day I actually felt. But as the levels have passed and I had 4 or even 6 smites a day, generally I can afford to keep a few in reserve for when the "big fight" kicks in.

So I was curious as to other experiences. Has anyone else found the power just too good, or is it just par for the course compared to what other high level classes can do in your games?

Not sure what the situation is over there, but the way you describe it seems like you have free rein to walk up to the BBEG and have free access to them. A BBEG should always have a screen of minions to prevent a rush, it might not prevent you from getting to them but more bodies in front does limit how many of you have a chance to step up and swing.

glass

(he, him)
Not sure what the situation is over there, but the way you describe it seems like you have free rein to walk up to the BBEG and have free access to them. A BBEG should always have a screen of minions to prevent a rush, it might not prevent you from getting to them but more bodies in front does limit how many of you have a chance to step up and swing.
I am not the OP, but however many minions the BBEG has to start with, eventually you are going to clear them out and take a swing at the Big Bad themselves (assuming you are eventually going to win). And at that point, activating Aura of Justice is rarely a bad move.

That said, while it is strong it does have its limitations. The biggest of which in my mind is that the party members to be affected have to be within 10 ft of the Paladin. They also need to have a swift action available within one turn (so anyone who gets knocked out or stunned does not get to benefit even if they were to get back on their feet before the minute is up).

Plus at the end of the day, it helps martials do a bit of extra damage, and does not really do much for casters. The AC buff is nice for everyone at lower levels, but by the levels where the two-smites cost is getting trivial it is probably only a point or two above the ring they'll already be wearing.

I had a Paladin in my Age of Worms campaign, and Aura of Justice was nice but not overwhelming. OTOH, the character was actually a gestalt Paladin//Monk so was about as MAD as it is possible to get, which may have helped tone the ability down a bit....

_
glass.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I had to re-read paladin smite because it's been a while. Glad I did, I learned a few things I'd been getting wrong.

Frinstance: I thought it was only for melee attacks. That the "double damage vs. undead, dragons, evil outiders" thing was for the first attack of each round. Also I thought it ended when the combat ended for whatever reason (so if the baddie runs away the pally would have to smite again when next they meet.) All wrong.

I've only run one PF game where the Aura of Justice was available. And the pally was a replacement character for one who died so she was only there for a few sessions right near the end of the campaign. And she didn't use it. So I have no actual experience to draw on re. this power. That being said... I think it's okay. I mean, yeah it's a great bonus and 1 minute will let it last a whole battle (most of the time.) But each PC only gets to smite 1 target. Against a lone BBEG this is going to make mince meat of them, yes. Against a BBEG with decent minions, it may be the necessary equaliser.

Remove ads