• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2e Ranger/Mage?

GreyLord

Legend
I don't remember any subclass swapping from Unearthed Arcana. i can't check, though, because I'm not even in the same county as my game books.

I suppose I could look up where it was in UA or the dragon Magazines. I remember that they came up during these times though and it was really up to who you played with whether those rules were acceptable or not. Even prior to those magazines and UA coming out some houseruled that this was an acceptable class as long as your race was allowed Fighter/Clerics.

The reasoning for this was that Ranger was a subclass of fighter, and hence any subclasses fell into the same realm as the class itself.

I wasn't one of those that houseruled that early on, but I know a few who did.

Edit: Just looked,I didn't find it in the UA. It was only a quick skim through the races and classes section...so I might have missed it. Seemed like it opened up new classes, but didn't clarify on the subclass thing. I may look it up through the Dragon magazine if I ever feel up to, right now I'm not feeling up to it though...sorry.

Taloth

First Post
Reasons to not allow it?

Ranger wouldn't sit stuck in a building to practice and learn and research spells.....
they might with the right backstory (i see your logic though)

thanks to everyone else who's responded, too. i think i'll try it out. if it doesn't work (RP purposes), i'll just play ranger.

Also, Ranger/Clerics can't use swords, and elves get +1 with long/shortsword

CuRoi

First Post
I for one like it. Sort of a throw back to the AD&D Ranger class that had a mix of Druid and Magic-User spells. I think it makes perfect sense for an elf...and what is this with studying in a building?? An elf mage will much prefer study out in the elements - the very elements they seek to have sway over and live their life in tune with.

Remove ads