D&D 2E 2e snow golem (Ravenloft), lesser and greater

AnderNGmx

Explorer
In the 2e Ravenloft adventure Ship of Horror a snow golem entry appears. The snow golem later reappears in Ravenloft Appendix 3 Creatures of Darkness. While they don't have the titles lesser and greater, it seems to be the case.
The Ravenloft Appendix 3 stats of the Snow Golem (greater snow golem),
XP value of 7,000
AC 1
2 attacks per round
releases a cloud of scalding steam when harmed by magical fire
sunders weapons when struck

The Ship of Horror stats of the Snow Golem (lesser snow golem)
XP value of 6,000
AC 6
1 attack per round

Also the Appendix 3 golem is described as "First discovered on the arctic island of Todstein (as described in the adventure Ship of Horror), snow golems are similar to greater golems. Like others of their ilk, they are usually employed to guard an important item or entryway."
While the one from Ship of Horror as "A snow golem is a weak version of a greater golem. It is created in the same manner as any other golem"

So the ones in the island seems to be the prototypes.

AnderNGmx

Explorer
And if one makes the mistake of using the Appendix 3 Snow Golem statistics instead of the ones in the adventure, by some forgetfulness, then the characters will not even get to Meredoth. Which can kill them anyways since he is a 20th level necromancer in an adventure for 8-10th level characters.
The greater version of the snow golem destroys magical weapons and is much more dangerous in general.
"Due to the extreme cold of their bodies, nonmagical weapons made of metal shatter when used against a snow golem. Even magical arms are not immune to this effect, having a 35% chance of being destroyed with each successful blow. This chance is reduced by 5% for every plus of the weapon above +2 (i.e. a +3 weapon has only a 30% chance of shattering)."

AnderNGmx

Explorer
Out of curiosity i checked out the 3.5 Snow Golem (Denizens of Dread, page 101, CR 10) and that one does not have the weapon sunder but has good AC and two attacks per round. It can advance up to 26 HD to a gargantuan size.

I guess they thought adding the weapon sunder would make it too powerful.

Frankly the weapon sunder ability, due to how cold it is, fits to an ice golem and not to a snow one.

AnderNGmx

Explorer
At the same time they all have electrical conductivity which i do not know how the writer justified its existence and it does not fit at all.

"If hit with an electrical attack while touching another creature, the attack is conducted through the body of the snow golem and does full damage to this being. If attacked in this way when not in contact with someone else, the golem seems unaffected. In actuality, it stores the charge, doing as much damage as it would have sustained to whomever it next comes into contact with."

I would replace this with chill metal if it hits someone with a natural 20 or some power like that.

Last edited:

AnderNGmx

Explorer
I think the guy that has this website can be contacted, tried to find contact form to send him this thing about the snow golem versions, only via github

AnderNGmx

Explorer
Does anyone have or has read any good trait for a snow golem? The properties of snow are not very combat fitting. Its not ice or water, its not hard as diamond or rock, its kind of fluffy. All that comes to mind is an avalanche and a snow ball growing larger as it rolls downhill.

Remove ads