[3.5] Barbarian Character Helps and Suggestions

Player2

First Post
I'm finally back to the forums and from what I see, a LOT has changed, so if this post is misplaced, I honestly apologize and if anyone can move it to its rightful place it'd be great, if not just point me in the right direction and I'll delete/close it and move it there, last thing ENworlds seems to need right now is clumsy people making out-of-place posts ^^''.

Ahem, anyway, I've asked the community for help before and the character was a huge success thanks to all the suggestions and tips I got, so I was thinking if someone could help this time as well.

To begin with, I suppose I should let you guys know a bit about our setting and how we run the game. We're a small group who focuses way more on roleplay and character bio rather than crunching the numbers and making overpowered characters. With this said, naturally we like to keep our characters at least useful for the party, even if sometimes we have to work around crazy character ideas xD. We also allow "special abilities" or traits for our characters. This began a bit crazy since we ended up with broken abilities, but lately we've been finding cool abilities that, while giving extra flavour to the character, don't give it an unfair edge. These usually come paired up with some sort of quirk or hindrance.

This said, allow me to lay out the basics for this character. I'll give you a little bit of back-story and such, eventhough I'm still writing it, and just say what I need 'cause you guys must be sick of reading this by now xD.

Fera is a half-elf Barbarian. Odd mix I know, but like I said before, we're more focused on the characters story than simply going w the typical fits. Her father belonged to a barbarian tribe and her mother was a slave who escaped and came to shore near Fera's father's camp. We have several "kinds" of barbarian, they are not all like the typical orc, some barbarian tribes could be more linked to stuff like Native Americans or, keeping to a fantasy setting, Wild Elves.

Her Special Ability is pretty simple, by practicing with any given weapon for a while, Fera can overcome the penalties for lacking that weapon-type's proficiency. This does not allow her to pick Weapon Focus and such for stuff she doesn't have the specific proficiency for, mind you, it's just like a natural ability to use any weapon if she has the time to get accustomed to it. Her hindrance is a phobia of deep-water, having nearly drowned as a child.

Now, I wanted to make her a Rage-focused character. Frenzied Berserker was a first choice, but since they are usually party-killers unless they're handled properly, I wanted something simpler. For those of you who like Anime, think of her as Taiga, a palmtop tiger, or any shorty yet menacing character.

We pretty much use anything 3.5 edition, so nearly any book is good to go. If possible, I'd like to avoid multi-classing too much because of the xp penalties and such. Going with the Rage feats, such as Mad Foam Rager and such seems like a standart idea, but I'd like to read your opinions and suggestions.

I've gone on and on for too long ^^'', so to wrap things up:

Trying to come up with a rage based barbarian, be it by giving it other uses and/or making it last a bit longer. Some durability would be nice too. What are your suggestions, etc?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give you guys a general idea of what I'm aiming for and the character's flavour.

Remove ads