D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] headband of intellect

Kerrick

First Post
We've been having discussions about this one... the description says only that it does NOT add to skill points, but it doesn't say anything about spell DCs and bonus spells. If we go off the fox's cunning spell (which is what you need to make one), then you don't gain the spell slots, but you do gain the DC. Seems pretty worthless for a 36K gp item, IMO.

Shayuri

First Post
Adding to spell DC? I'd debate that fiercely. :)

Not to mention it adds to skill bonuses. Not to skill points, but to the effective attribute bonus applied to all Int-based skills.

So you get a boost to DC, a boost to a whole wad of skills, and a boost to raw attribute checks (useful for using an Amulet of the Planes, or in escaping Mazes). All for a mere 36k!

Definitely a steal, IMO. :)

Staffan

Legend
Yes, you get additional spells and spell DC for wearing a Headband of Intellect. It's a continuous bonus to Intelligence, and as such it qualifies. Fox's Cunning not giving bonus spells is a specific exception, and one that's pretty irrelevant with the 3.5 version of the spell anyway (because it doesn't last long enough to become relevant).

Prerequisites for making an item are generally a bad place to look in order to figure out how the item works. The Vorpal sword doesn't work much like a Circle of Death, after all (well, maybe combined with a Whirlwind Attack).

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I agree that the description is unclear, and I'd like to see an SRD reference for those arguing for a certain position.

I ruled that once he'd been wearing it for 24hrs straight he got the spells, but if it was removed/suppressed he'd have to wait another 24hrs.

john

Staffan

Legend
I think one has to do quite a lot of creative reading/interpretation to come to the conclusion that the Headband does not affect bonus spells. There's evidence that it does, but none that it does not:
  • The DMG specifically mentions that it does not affect skill points. It is silent on the topic of bonus spells.
  • The PHB does say that when an ability score changes, all attributes depending on that score change as well.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
to follow my own suggestion, the SRD says:
Headband of Intellect: This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.
Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, fox’s cunning; Price 4,000 gp (+2), 16,000 gp (+4), 36,000 gp (+6).

Fox's Cunning:
The transmuted creature becomes smarter. The spell grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Intelligence, adding the usual benefits to Intelligence-based skill checks and other uses of the Intelligence modifier. Wizards (and other spellcasters who rely on Intelligence) affected by this spell do not gain any additional bonus spells for the increased Intelligence, but the save DCs for spells they cast while under this spell's effect do increase. This spell doesn't grant extra skill points.

So, I can't see any reason not to give increased save DCs since the base spell used to create the item explicitly says it does and the item does not refute that.

On the bonus spells bit - while consulting the Sage for an official ruling would make it clearer, I think we can't simply rely on the "caster wouldn't have time to prepare the bonus spells anyway", since Eagle's Splendor (which would effect spontaneous casting Bards and Sorcerers) also does not increase their spells.

So my 24-hour ruling is probably out on the limb, but at least I know I am following at least close to the footsteps of good GMs such as Sepulchrave (see his Story Hour) on this one.

If you wanted to be strict, I could see not allowing the spells, but I'm with Staffan on this one.

john

Kerrick

First Post
The DMG specifically mentions that it does not affect skill points. It is silent on the topic of bonus spells.

The PHB does say that when an ability score changes, all attributes depending on that score change as well.

Yes, but the PHB is referring to (semi-)permanent changes - the stat-boosting spells specifically say they DON'T grant bonus spells. The headband is pretty much a permanent bonus, but it's enhancement, which could easily let the DM rule that only ineherent bonuses (refer to the PHB) will work in this regard. It's a really vague subject, which is why I was hoping for a semi-official ruling.

DavionBandit

First Post
I am going to refer to the Ring of Regeneration. "old school version" starts working after 24 hours. As long as not taken off it works and regenerates even if your killed, as long as it isn't taken off your body. Arm/Leg cut off hold appendage to cut half and it will reattach.

"3.5 version" Same but slower (instead of a turn, it is an hour), but with no 24 hour waiting period stated. (At least as I can find)

I agree with the books no to skill points, those are earn through practice and application. The bonuses however represents how clued in you(or how quickly you understand a subject, skill) are to each skill by the ability bonus. So those I do allow.

As for Spells, I do allow after 24 hours, to study, pray or comprehend your new found power. Because the bonus is permanent as long as it isn't taken off.

Omand

Hero
I am going to refer to the Ring of Regeneration. "old school version" starts working after 24 hours. As long as not taken off it works and regenerates even if your killed, as long as it isn't taken off your body. Arm/Leg cut off hold appendage to cut half and it will reattach.

"3.5 version" Same but slower (instead of a turn, it is an hour), but with no 24 hour waiting period stated. (At least as I can find)

I agree with the books no to skill points, those are earn through practice and application. The bonuses however represents how clued in you(or how quickly you understand a subject, skill) are to each skill by the ability bonus. So those I do allow.

As for Spells, I do allow after 24 hours, to study, pray or comprehend your new found power. Because the bonus is permanent as long as it isn't taken off.
You do realize you resurrected a 19 year old thread. Right ... ?

Remove ads