D&D 5E [5E] Fighter/Rogue multiclass

delph

Explorer
Assasin subclass for rogue is a bit of a trap, I think, tbh. Not only are suprise rounds very dependant on how generous your GM wants to be it also requires the rest of your party to play along (and not suck at stealth). And looking at the of the rest of your party....they look more like the "So anyway, I started blasting"-types :p

Here's what I would do for a level 12 Archer. I'm going to assume atleast the recent UA's are allowed since you mentioned the tatoos: start with a Wood Elf Ranger 8 str 17 dex 14 con 16 wis 10 int 8 cha (with the class variant UA).
Lvl1: If you want to be a skill monkey take the Canny feature, if you want to be more durable take Tireless. Also take Favored Foe for 3 free hunter's marks that don't require concentration.
Lvl 2: Archery fighting style and spells. Goodberry/ Aid are always solid
Lvl 3: Gloomstalker for all the goodies it brings. Being quasi-greater invisible in darkness is going to pay off big next level. 1 more lvl 1 spell: Fog Cloud and Detect Magic can have utility no matter what level you are.
Lvl 4: Elven Accuracy feat. Bump dex to 18 and have triple advantage on all attacks made from darkness on enemies that dont have truesight/ tremor sense ect. It's way to good.
Lvl 5: Extra Attack and lvl 2 spells. Healing spirit is to good to pass up, pass without a trace/ silence and spike growth can also be good.
Lvl 6-12 Arcane Trickster Rogue. Find Familiar/ Mage Hand/ Message will all make your life tons easier when scouting (avoid spells that use a DC), pick up the Sharpshooter feat @ lvl 9, at level 7 you can pick a level 2 wizard spell of choice (probably misty step) plus the always fantastic mirror image.

When you party hits level 13 you can round out your dex to 20 with your level 8 rogue feat. Crossbow Expert 2 levels later. Or switch those around if you want.

On the first round you can pick an enemy, Hunter's Mark it, Attack 3x, add 1d6 on all attacks and on one of them 1d8 (gloomstalker trait) + 4d6 (sneak attack). You also have triple advantage, which is often active when you are in darkness (or from familiar/ hiding as bonus action) and can use Sharpshooter for +10 damage. You are also a skill monkey with some of the best healing spells in the game (goodberry to get people up with your familiar, healing spirit for healing between encounters) that has all the cantrip/ spell tools needed for scouting aswell.
And maybe trade wit 3 lvls with fighter - Battlemaster (many manouvers are working with ranged attacks) or Samurai... And in ranger sublcasses are still one old still good - Hunter. next 1d8 dmg to one attack stacked with hunters mark, or hordebreaker and adding one attack...

and it's same situational as assassinate (IMHO) but maybe still better - 11. lvl feateure of hunters - Volley - you can shoot like machinegun. SS, archery style, (and if you than take 2 lvl fighter for action surge, you are living fireball)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Is that bonus action attack doubled with action surge? I suppose actually no, as i have only 1 bonus action for turn (and this make also cunning action much less usefull for my Pg I think, but with all that malee Pg in my group should be very easy to get advantage every turn), so with action surge, supposing i hit all my attacks and surprise my enemy i should deal 2d6 + 4d6 + 2d8 + 5 + 10 five times. For around 240 hp average. Without crit it's 150 hp average and without crit and action surge I'll still deal 90 hp avarage that looks not that bad. Yea, you convinced me. 😅

Make sure to take precision attack. When you know you missed but it's close it's one of the most damaging maneuvers in the game and very fitting for an archer/assassain.

Remove ads