5E or Conversion Forum

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I am a little confused at the moment. There is a House Rules / Conversion Forum for D&D, yet many of the posts here under just '5E' ARE conversions.

Unfortunately, I feel many players are aware of the Conversion forum. I know I was not for some time. Hence I used to post rules ideas on the 5E forums, as many still do.

And the Conversion forum certainly needs more traffic. Perhaps this needs to be made clear and 'new' ideas moved there. As it is this 5E forums seems to get a LOT more traffic.

If others can post their ideas here and get more traffic, then why don't the rest of us on the Conversions forums just post here (on 5E)? I am certainly tempted to restart forums where there is more traffic.

Shouldn't this one be about the actual rules and products published and ideas people have for new rules be in the House Rules/Conversion thread?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ironically, there's also a Meta forum for topics about the forums themselves. I'll move this there for you! :)

Just a few weeks ago, all the posts from Houserules and Optimization showed up in General 5E, too. There are multiple threads right here in Meta full of people saying how that was just too much, and that the combined traffic needed to stay split. For now, we're doing the latter.

So if something's in the wrong forum, please do let us know by reporting the post. Then we can move it. Sadly, we can't track 'em all, so we do hope you guys will help by self-policing to an extent, and reporting posts. I'm not big on having a zillion teeny undertrafficked forums covering each possible subject, but the three biggish categories for D&D we have (General, Houserules, Optimization) should be more than enough for now.

CapnZapp

Legend
For what it is worth, i put my vote on having one big view where you see all threads, which then will be the go-to destination for most forumites.

The fact Connors sees all those threads in the main 5E forum is because you get next to no feedback if you post in another forum.

At least if you post in the main forum, you get huge viewership figures the first crucial night, before the mods see it and move it.

I understand breaking your guidelines on where to post stuff is not ideal. Understandable, but not ideal. (I'm explaining the behavior, I'm not defending it.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At least if you post in the main forum, you get huge viewership figures the first crucial night, before the mods see it and move it.

Not that I particularly want to get myself embroiled in yet another thread on this topic, because I find the to-ing and fro-ing to be exhausting, I'd note one thing that our experiment a few weeks ago wiht the combined forum made very clear: when it's all smooshed into one forum, views and comments go down, not up, because things stay on the front page for just a few short hours.

Needless to say, when they're separate, a bunch of people post how they feel they should be together because some of the forums get less attention; and when they're together, a bunch of people post how they should be separate, because the combined result is too frenetic.

Although, as people know, I'm personally very much not a fan of multiple deserted forums when one busy forum would suffice. I think nothing looks worse on a messageboard than 30 forums each with 3 posts per day.

Remove ads