• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Couple of Questions

gfunk

First Post
1. The spell Eyebite (PHB, 6th level) allows you to accomplish one of four effects with a gaze attack. The spell school is listed as Transumation [See Text]. However, some powers specify that they are an enchantment, mind-affecting effect. Thus, which Spell Focus feat would work, Enchantment or Transmutation?

2. When you cast a double Empowered Bull's Strength, which of the following is correct?

a) Roll 1d4+1 once and multiply the result by x2
b) Roll 1d4+1 twice and multiply the result by x1.5, the roll again and simply add x1.5 to the first die roll

Last edited:

Galfridus

First Post
I would be inclined to let either Spell Focus work for Eyebite, but by the rules I would say that the school listed for each effect was the appropriate one:

Charm: Arguably Enchantment or Transmutation, depending on what you think "Equivalent to" means. If I were in "by the book" mode, I would say Transmutation.

Fear: Enchantment as specified.

Sicken: Necromancy as specified.

Sleep: Enchantment as specified.

#2: I can never keep it straight, but it's been posted multiple times. I would take one d4+1 roll, multiply it by .5, then add that amount twice (so a roll of 3 would result in 3 + 1 + 1 = 5, and a roll of 4 would result in 4 + 2 + 2 = 8). If I were in a nice mood I wouldn't round until the end. Don't know if that's right though -- no one uses metamagic feats IMC.

Crothian

First Post
I roll it once as the above example. We don't use meta magic that much, so I might be a bit off in the rules. But in 3 more levels my bard will be choosign a metamagic feat. Hopefully, by then I'll have some spells that work well meta magiced.

Tiberius

Explorer
I don't remember where I read this, but I believe for a double empowered Bull's Strength, the calculation would run like this:

[(1d4+1)*1.5]*1.5 or (1d4+1)*2.25 (assuming my math checks out, they're the same thing).

Tiberius

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Tiberius said:
I don't remember where I read this, but I believe for a double empowered Bull's Strength, the calculation would run like this:

[(1d4+1)*1.5]*1.5 or (1d4+1)*2.25 (assuming my math checks out, they're the same thing).

NO! Bad Tiberius. PH page 275: the total multiplier is x2.

The only real question: how do we roll?

2d4+2, or 1d4+1+(1d4+1)/2+(1d4+1)/2, or 1d4+1+((1d4+1)/2 rounded down)*2, or (1d4+1)*2?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Tiberius said:

Tiberius
But depending on where you round down, they may not be the same thing.

I would just double what ever is rolled. So much easier.

--Easy Spikey

Remove ads