OD&D A question for players of both OSR & Modern FRPGs

Retreater

Legend
I enjoy both contemporary games and OSR titles, for different reasons. I can appreciate the crunch of PF2 or even (gasp) 4E. OSR gaming is more about kicking back, beer and pretzels, playing with friends. The robust tactical approach helps satisfy my desire for wargaming.
That said, if I were playing a solo adventure, I would probably go with a more modern, rules crunchy system or solo dungeon crawling board game with AI controlling the monsters.
There are some good YouTube videos about people running solo games using random charts and AI for monsters. One that seemed to review highly was Forbidden Lands, but you could probably take the principles and apply to any system.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
@Azgulor

I am not quite certain how a "solo" RPG would even work, but it did bring another thought to mind. Have you considered getting into solo boardgames as an alternate path to fun? Normally I would suggest Gloomhaven, which can be played solo, however from what you describe in your original post, perhaps 7th Continent might be up your alley?

Basically you are playing a character who arrives on the shores of a mysterious unexplored new continent. This is done physically by laying out square cards to form a "map" on the table. Each square has various points that you can interact with using your characters skills, and then throughout the game you can come across items that help you to do things better or allow access to areas you can't access without them.

Even though you are playing a "character" in the game, its actually you (the player) who gets to explore the continent and experience the surprises hidden within based on your choices.

If you haven't heard of it already and want to give it a try you can read up on it (and see what it looks like) here.

hawkeyefan

Legend
This isn’t exactly OSR, it’s more of a PbtA game. But Ironsworn supports co-op or solo play, and it’s a solid game, and it’s free.

I’ve seen some solo play online and it certainly seems like it’d be fun.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Thanks, all. Some interesting suggestions that I'll need to investigate further.

I'm still looking for opinions regarding the shift back to OSR from modern for those who play (or played) both within a comparable timeframe.

As I delve deeper into AS&SH & ACKS, however, OSR definitely feels like the right decision. I just think 5e has high-magic/high-fantasy too infused in it's character design and power level to be able to get the playstyle I'm seeking.

One thing that I'm surprised no one's mentioned is that Tunnels & Trolls has a ton of modules intended to be solo'ed. It's not so much OSR as OS, being generally recognized as the second RPG ever published.

Remove ads