• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer A Spelljammer Retrospective (and Why It Makes Sense for 5E)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I think Spelljammer makes perfect sense as connective tissue between settings. Planescape is the other option, and while I’d dearly love to see a 5e Manual of the Planes, I think Spelljammer fits the transportation role better in the current environment. A Spelljammer AL season would make me quite happy.

While I've not played or DMed in either setting, I'm much more sympathetic to Planescape as an expansion instead of Spelljammer. Planar travel is well established in 5e as there are many spells that allow movement between the planes, but Spelljammer requires (from what I understand) a whole subsystem to be added to describe the vessels and their navigation etc etc.

I just think it sounds a bit hokey to be honest and not very cool. Of course it could be cool, but given how FR continues to be kind of clunky (and silly) I'm doubtful.

Zardnaar

Legend
While I've not played or DMed in either setting, I'm much more sympathetic to Planescape as an expansion instead of Spelljammer. Planar travel is well established in 5e as there are many spells that allow movement between the planes, but Spelljammer requires (from what I understand) a whole subsystem to be added to describe the vessels and their navigation etc etc.

I just think it sounds a bit hokey to be honest and not very cool. Of course it could be cool, but given how FR continues to be kind of clunky (and silly) I'm doubtful.

Planescapes almost doesn't need its own campaign setting and the mechanics it did have can almost be run as is from 2E. PS almost already lives in 5E via the DMG and MGttM.

SJ needs more work to convert, the big one being the ship combat subsystem. Personally I would just overhaul the old Star Wars Saga vehicle rules and plug them into 5E with stats for the ships and plug in bits of 2E to make SJ 5E work. Throw in a back ground or 2 that allows you proficiency in captaining the ship.

I'm currently starting up a Roll20 game of Spelljammer in 5E. Actually, we've played one session, but we're running through The Sunless Citadel first, so I have time to work on Spelljammer specific mechanics, but here's what I'm doing. Note: I'm running a self-contained solar system. Several planets, but no traveling to Forgotten Realms, or Krynn, or anything like that. It's not traditional Spelljammer, but based on the Shadow of the Spider Moon mini-setting from Polyhedron magazine back in 3E era. We're also playing in a vaguely Firefly-like manner, in that the crew is trying to keep the ship afloat monetarily, so they have upkeep costs and need to take jobs to keep things going, which will eventually lead into bigger plot stuff.

Navigation Tools become super important. Proficiency is going to mean the difference between a trip between planets taking a few days or a few weeks. Travel time impacts supplies and timeframes for jobs. This keys off of Intelligence. Flying a ship between planets goes off Int (navigation tools).

Vehicles (spelljammer) is an available proficiency. If you take the Sailor or Soldier backgrounds, you can take that proficiency instead of the other vehicle proficiencies. I also give out one free proficiency for tools, vehicles, a language, or similar, so they can get it that way as well. Flying a ship is a Dexterity check, but only applies on a small scale, like ship-to-ship combat or docking under bad conditions.

I'm also working on Spelljammer specific backgrounds. Ship combat is going to be fairly basic to start: ballistae or magic between ships. I'm using Eberron's rule of casting cantrips with a two-handed implement doubles the cantrip's range, so ships with casters are going to generally have a staff or two sitting around onboard just in case. Specific rules for 'jammer hit points and stuff, I haven't gotten to. I assume most of the time, the enemy ship's crew is more dangerous than the ship itself. And who doesn't want to capture an enemy spelljammer from time to time?

Honestly, those are the only big rules elements I'm seeing right off the bat. Maybe some maneuverability stuff for spelljammers once we actually get into ship combat, but that's about it. Should be fairly simple.

Remove ads