• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Adapting UA: Modern Magic to a Typical 5e Game

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So this was inspired by this video put out by Zee Bashew and his Animated Spellbook series.

And this got me to thinking. Is there any way to adapt the material presented in this UA (found here)?

This UA has some really cool ideas, both mechanically and thematically. But I don't play many games in modern settings (I think I've played in maybe 2, and neither lasted very long). Perhaps this isn't really an idea that has legs, but I was just curious. If a player came to your table wanting to play something found in this UA, but adapted to fit into your campaign, how would you do it? Maybe some (most?) would outright reject the idea. But that's not as fun. So assume that you would at least consider or entertain the idea. How could a person make these things work?

FYI, when I speak of a "typical campaign," I mean one that takes place in pseudo-medieval settings like Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, ect...

Last edited:

So many spefi tv shows (speculative fiction, fantasy, scifi) are set in the modern world, or near future to allow for tech wonders.

A near future setting has appeal.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So this was inspired by this video put out by Zee Bashew and his Animated Spellbook series.

And this got me to thinking. Is there any way to adapt the material presented in this UA (found here)?

This UA has some really cool ideas, both mechanically and thematically. But I don't play many games in modern settings (I think I've played in maybe 2, and neither lasted very long). Perhaps this isn't really an idea that has legs, but I was just curious. If a player came to your table wanting to play something found in this UA, but adapted to fit into your campaign, how would you do it? Maybe some (most?) would outright reject the idea. But that's not as fun. So assume that you would at least consider or entertain the idea. How could a person make these things work?

FYI, when I speak of a "typical campaign," I mean one that takes place in pseudo-medieval settings like Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Eberron, ect...

As long as your campaign has mechanical devices that can be triggered remotely, most of the spells should work In an urban campaign, especially if Magic Mirrors of Scrying are common. There may not be as many chances to use technomancy before the invention of the computer and hacking might be a bit naff (it could be modified to work in a library or maybe portraits in a renaisance era:)). Maybe use crystals as storage devices

Weiley31

Legend
Make a Wild Western setting where your Warlock character is a Gunslinger and their Pact Weapon is a Witchfire Gun that shoots Eldritch Bullets.

I like the idea of a Bladesinger's Spellbook being a Computer Tablet and storing spells require a certain amount of RAM/GIGABYTES to install.

jgsugden

Legend
In my setting, there are places that use technology. Beyond arcane, divine, nature and psionic magics there is a 5th type that includes both the supernatural (ghosts, lycanthropy, curses, etc...) and scientific (explosives, medicine, etc....) There are five major cities where technology can be found - The City of Iron, the City of Brass, The City of Gold, my Sigil equivalent, and the place from which Modrons hail (which is, again, a homebrew location).

When this UA was revealed I put it to useby making a few NPCs with the features of the subclasses.... but so far nobody has encountered them.

Two examples; Numenera and She-Ra. Most everyone is running around with swords, bows, and fireballs. However, there is long forgotten tech existing in the world that most mistake for magic (Numenera) or works in concert with magic (She-Ra). Reading or watching either of these will give you a good start on envisioning a world that works with dnd but has modern tech elements that can be interacted with in a magical way.

Numenera is a Monte Cook creation that uses the Cypher system. She-Ra is a Dreamworks show on Netflix that is quite good for a show aimed at kids and teens (same ballpark as Avatar The Last Airbender IMO).

As for implementing some of the things here, I would start with one very large city, let's call it Hub (I start with one city because it is simple and I can always blow it up and move on if it doesn't work out). Hub has wonders of convenience and danger that you just can't find in other places. This attracts all manner of folks and makes it a prime spot for adventure. However, 99% of people, demons, angels, dragons, gods, and what have you see and experience Hub as just a city. A city with a lot of magical innovations, but a city nonetheless. But for those 1%, they see past that to the truth. Hub has technology far beyond that of anywhere else. The tech is nearly incomprehensible, making access, duplication, repairs, and further innovation nearly impossible. But those who combine magic and tech can make use of Hub's wonders in ways the 99% never could.

Set your campaign in a Hub-like city, but feel free to venture out further from time to time. Players should decide if they're in the 1% or not. Anyone who isn't should always think those who are in the know are a bit weird when they bring up 'bots' and 'tech'. If anyone asks how things are powered say "magic" if they're the 99% or "energy transfer through air, Tesla style" if they aren't. Challenge yourself and your players to explain how things work. "It's clearly an artifact with brimming with conjura6and divination magic" vs "it's closed circuit tv" sounds like a fun argument to have.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think the discussion was short - too off the wall for a lot of players I guess. I don't think there was ever a survey - these where just ideas for players to use rather than something to test for eventual publication.
Yeah, I feel like early UA was a lot more experimental than the stuff we get now. Remember Three Pillar Experience? And the one that had a players always roll option? Those early UAs had a lot of that “modular design” energy that everyone was hyped on during the playtest.

Remove ads