Advice for setting up a Discord server for running TTRPGs

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
One thing I did was to create a GM role and assign it priority speaking. I know you have to set push to talk to make it work but I did find it useful in certain situations with players who idly chat and won't quiet down.
Luckily I don't have this issue with my players. Sometimes we'll have someone who talks over someone else, but I don't think push to talk will help that.

Reynard

Legend
I don't have much to add other than to say that I have had good success with a few open channels ("from the GM", "out of character talk", "in game talk" and so on) and a few private channels (one per PC, other setting/campaign specific stuff). I have never felt like I needed to make it too complex.

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
I don't have much to add other than to say that I have had good success with a few open channels ("from the GM", "out of character talk", "in game talk" and so on) and a few private channels (one per PC, other setting/campaign specific stuff). I have never felt like I needed to make it too complex.
The channels that I have in mine are Read Only - which provides links and login info plus some general world background materials, I have an art channel for players to post character images, I have a Chat channel for general party conversation outside of game, then I have one whisper chat for every individual player for direct private convo between me and each of them and then the video channel for game play. Oh, and one more channel. I have a recap channel where I post a fairly detailed recap of each session for their reference.

Remove ads