• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on wizard PC

Empirate

First Post
It's pretty good for a Wizard, less so for other classes. But broken? It's not as if the game explodes because you got a race with nice stat mods.

Would I allow it? Nah, smells a little cheesy to me. "I'll just take a small race, and give it bonuses to Con and Int, while applying penalties to Str and Wis" WILL make a very good Wizard, and I'd be hard pressed to come up with something similar for other classes. So I'd probably not allow it, if only to make sure non-wizard players aren't penalized. But "broken"? Would it really "break" your game, or just render it slightly less balanced and probably slightly less enjoyable (unless everybody was playing a Wizard)?

The B-word gets tossed around a lot for stuff that isn't infinite loops or pun-pun. No need to use it all the time.

Also, the familiar thing: out of the standard familiars, I like Bats and Owls best. Those are the kind of scouts you want. Despite the weak benefits for the master, having hard-to-notice scouting capability with excellent senses AND flight is hard to beat. I'd say it's also thematically fitting for a Diviner to have a little tawny owl perched on his shoulder, blinking curiously...

If you're planning to take an Improved Familiar, the Beguiler from Shining South offers the fantastic ability of constant True Seeing. It has OK stealth due to its camouflage ability, and it's highly intelligent, meaning it can learn to speak. It can also manipulate objects with its hands AND its tail - up to three wands in readiness at all times!

I can think of plenty of arguments to agree with you there. A class with +2 con and +2 Int makes a pretty awesome wizard or sorcerer, ontop of the obvious gnome benefits. However, I wouldn't call it any-more broken than a human, and I'd certainly let people pull it off in my game without complaint. It is just an ideal race, not quite overpowered.

Empirate

First Post
I can think of plenty of arguments to agree with you there. A class with +2 con and +2 Int makes a pretty awesome wizard or sorcerer, ontop of the obvious gnome benefits. However, I wouldn't call it any-more broken than a human, and I'd certainly let people pull it off in my game without complaint. It is just an ideal race, not quite overpowered.

We differ in the details. I would NOT allow this race. However, it isn't on par with playable Sharn, or Venerable Dragonwrought Loredrake whatevers. This race IS overpowered strictly compared to PHB options (or even most everything else out there) - but not broken. There's a world of difference.

I dont think I would put up to much argument against a DM who refused this race, it is downright unfair if everyone else is phb races. But if everyone picks unique races then I think it would be fair to use it. It is dragon magazine anyway, the stuff in there tends to be a bit iffy. Still at my table I'd let something like this fly. Probably one of the best races to synergise with a wizard. I still prefer human myself.

Remove ads