Agon 2nd ed actual play

How much did you use divine wrath to buff your strife-player dice pool? This is one thing which, in GMing the system, I still need to work on; and I think is something where the rulebook could give better guidance.

Yup, when I had them available to me like the Climb the Cyanean Cliffs Trial in this most recent session which featured Hermes' Wrath from the prior session due to his jealousy of their copying his feat of supernatural athleticism (which set the last two sessions/island events in motion).

I think a better iteration on Wrath would have been if it was like the Gods' version of PCs' Divine Favor; Wrath becomes +1d4 and added to the obstacle/threat result after best die result from pool + Strife value rather than simply another die to bulwark the pool (which you pull the best result from) that you add to Strife. The current iteration of Wrath does marginally increase the median/mean result of threats/obstacles over a population of rolls, but it doesn't add to the ceiling. I think the game really needs that threat of increased ceiling results (particularly as the game wears on and PCs grow in power).

I also think Strife needs a bit of a scalar after a certain breakpoint (like D&D 4e Tiers) where it starts at 6 rather than 5. PC capabilities just begin to absolutely break the game mathematically after session/island 6ish (maybe 7)?

I mean, I was throwing 2d12, d10, d8 at them (Sacred, Perilous and either Mythic or Epic) at them on multiple occasions last night and only once did it turn out to be a real threat (on the Finale actually where 2/3 PCs suffered) because of the resources they could bring to bear. Bump Strife up to 6 and give me a +1d4 add-on and footing become much less sure!

Remove ads