Alternate Classes in UA

GQuail

Explorer
In my current campaign I allowed the Expert as a PC class amongst the normal PHB ones for people who wanted a high skills class without being a Rogue: one player in paticular wanted to play a non-magical artisan and it was a way to let him be at least slightly viable as a PC. :) I didn't notice ahuge balance issue: none of the players were pushing themselves to be optimized, so he stood fine, and when he multiclassed into cleric he remained a distinctive character with valuable skills.

I've not run a game yet using just those three classes, though. I am keen to try it out, though, and it's on my ever-growing list of "Things To GM Eventually" :)

Boss

First Post
GQuail said:
In my current campaign I allowed the Expert as a PC class amongst the normal PHB ones for people who wanted a high skills class without being a Rogue: one player in paticular wanted to play a non-magical artisan and it was a way to let him be at least slightly viable as a PC. :) I didn't notice ahuge balance issue: none of the players were pushing themselves to be optimized, so he stood fine, and when he multiclassed into cleric he remained a distinctive character with valuable skills.

I've not run a game yet using just those three classes, though. I am keen to try it out, though, and it's on my ever-growing list of "Things To GM Eventually" :)

I did that myself once when playing in a Midnight campaign. The DM allowed me to play an Expert from the DMG as a blacksmith. It worked out really well and was an extremely easy character to role-play.

luke_twigger

First Post
Boss said:
Luke_twigger, thanks much for the link, that will definitely take some of the work I was prepping to do out of the way. Some of the more specialized classes (like Monk, where various martial art styles will act as prereq feats to go into the Prestige Class) are going to become a basis for several prestige classes with their class abilities going there, but this helps immensely. Thanks!
No problem, hope it helps. If you have any feedback regarding power levels, errors, improvements it'd be much appreciated. Very little of it has been playtested so far, we just followed gut instincts. So feel free to post here (or PM me) with comments.

Remove ads