Alternate d20 setting question...

njorgard

First Post
I have been using my own camapign world for many years now although I'm a big Greyhawk fan (I draw alot of ideas for my own campaign from there). The other day I was thinking about trying out another one of the published campaign worlds out there.

Now here's the question...

Considering that I like 1st edition feel campaigns that have a Gygax flavor to them, which one of the following would be a better choice to try?

a) Erde

b) Kalamar

c) Scarred Lands

Thanks...

Terraism

Explorer
I'm not the best person to offer advice, 'cause I'm not from the 'Golden Era' (;)) and am doing research of my own on the stuff from 'back then' but... I've heard that the Scarred Lands is somewhat similar.

njorgard

First Post
Hmmm....grittier sounds very appealing. I've actually seen some of the supplements fro mthe Scarred Lands setting and at least the monsters seem to be nastier that the garden variety D&D creatures....

Wicht

Hero
Some of the monsters are pretty nasty. I actualyy like scarred lands, but if you are looking for closer to Greyhawk, I would go with Kalamar. Scarred Lands is about a land that is recovering from a war between gods and titans and the aftereffects of the war are still being felt.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well even though I'm not THAT familiar with Greyhawk, I do think it depends on what you want out a world. While Greyhawk gods are fairly distant, the same cannot be said of the Gods of the Scarred Lands. They are active, but not in a way that makes them UBER-NPCs, like FR is. They act when they see the need, and reward/punish in mostly the same manner, mainly when it involves an area of their portfolio. While I'm hesistant to suggest it, I do think Kalamar IS more Greyhawk oriented, BUT that doesn't mean you cannot use a few monsters from SL, or magics from Relics and Rituals.

ProfAnime

Move along, nothing to see here
I also have to agree with everyone else that Kalamar is more Greyhawkian than the Scarred Lands. It has a very similar feel to the '83 boxed set of GH

Remove ads