• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

alternate genasi - is this fair?

Mr. Draco

First Post
well, i think drowdude posted this on the old boards, but i only have the stats for the air genasi (the one i was thinking about playing), so:

is it fair/overpowered/underpowered/whatever?

Air Genasi:

+2 ECL
Darkvision 60'
Immunity to all forms of disease, sleep spells & effects, and paralysis
Elemental Focus: Ait Genasi cast spells of their chosen element as if they were 2 levels higher than their actual level. Such spells also gain a +2 DC & +2 for purposes of defeating SR.
Air Genasi may not cast spells related to their opposed element (earth).
Gains the Air subtype, and a +1 to saves versus Air-based attacks/effects per 5 levels attained
Intuitively speaks Auran
+4 Dex
+2 Int
Mingle With the Wind (Su): Levitate-Self at will (as the second level spell Levitate), as if cast by a Sorceror of the Genasi's character level
Breathless: Air Genasi do not need to breathe, and are immune to most gas attacks, drowning and suffocation
Cold or Electricity Resistance - 10 (chose 1)

Well? What do you think? Is it balanced for a +2 ECL?

Vanuslux

Explorer
It looks okay to me, though as a matter of personal taste I would replace:
Cold or Electricity Resistance - 10 (chose 1)
with:

Cold and Electricity Resistance - 5

That's just because when it comes to racial abilities, I prefer things to be static. Something either is a racial ability, or it's not. Optional racial abilities should be covered with feats, in my opinion.

drowdude

First Post
Mr. Draco said:
well, i think drowdude posted this on the old boards, but i only have the stats for the air genasi (the one i was thinking about playing),

Glad you have taken this much intrest in my templates Draco! :D

I reposted the entire set here at the new house rules board under the same title.

To Vanuslux: Yeah, it really is just a matter of taste. I just prefer to give characters nice little customization options that make them feel unique wherever I can.

The 5/5 split on the resistance is nice though, I should have added that as a choice ;)

trentonjoe

Explorer
I think it is more than fair for a ECL of +2. In my opinion it is probably more of a strong +1 but I tend to underjudge! I would have no problem allowing that in my game as a +2.

Drow dude usually does pretty good work. He's a good choice to steal ideas from!

Remove ads