• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate way of increasing stats

Sravoff

First Post
What if instead of every fourt levels add 1 to any one ability score you had a gradual random increas that was level dependent.

Every level each stat gets and percentage of a point. For each class they get a d something or other to each stat. Obviously stats that are used in your class get higher percentages.
Use three grades of percentiles. 4d10, 4d8 and 4d6.

fighter would get the following
str-4d10
dex-4d8
con-4d8
int-4d6
wis-4d6
chr-4d6

This would definitivly make higher atributes at higher levels. Though I don't persay see that as such a bad thing. This pretty much says that a fighter will increase his str every five levels. and dex and con every seven.

Alternatly you could allow a more point buy based way of doing it. You get 12 points to use. Each score must have at least 4d6 percentile per level. Un-used pints should be converted into something else, not sure what else...
4d10=5
..4d8=3
..4d6=1

This idea origanated from hackmaster but I think the increased percentile is a good adjustment to 3.x.

What do you think????

-Sravoff

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Oooh, that takes me back. Unearthed Arcana's cavalier class. The cavalier got percentile scores on all his stats, and added, like 2d10% when he levelled up. Something like that.

That's probably how Hackmaster got it; as an optional rule to the 1st edition rule engine.

Let's see how much people get per level. 4d10 averages 22, so that's 0.22....

0.22 + 0.18 + 0.18 + 0.14 +0.14 + 0.14 = +1.00 per level. Nice!

How about roll 1d6 every level? 1= +1 to strength, 2 = +1 to Con, 3 = +1 to Dex, 4 = +1 to Int, etc.

You can reroll once, but you have to take the result of the reroll, even if it is your dump stat. A fighter might keep a bonus to Dex, Con and Str, and reroll Int, Wis or Cha. The first 3 scores would progress at about 1/4 levels (evenly distributed) while the last three scores would progress at 1/12 levels. If he rerolled anything but a 1, he'd get about +1 Str per 3 levels (11/36) and equal bonuses to everything else.

Sravoff

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Oooh, that takes me back. Unearthed Arcana's cavalier class. The cavalier got percentile scores on all his stats, and added, like 2d10% when he levelled up. Something like that.

That's probably how Hackmaster got it; as an optional rule to the 1st edition rule engine.

Let's see how much people get per level. 4d10 averages 22, so that's 0.22....

0.22 + 0.18 + 0.18 + 0.14 +0.14 + 0.14 = +1.00 per level. Nice!
I was actually thinking more that the stat would increase about every five levels as apossed to every four. However other stats would also increase, albeit at slower rates. Perhaps every four levels you get a 25% boost to give to any one stat? Or were you just checking the total percentile a character got per level? I wasn't sure.

Cheiromancer said:
How about roll 1d6 every level? 1= +1 to strength, 2 = +1 to Con, 3 = +1 to Dex, 4 = +1 to Int, etc.

You can reroll once, but you have to take the result of the reroll, even if it is your dump stat. A fighter might keep a bonus to Dex, Con and Str, and reroll Int, Wis or Cha. The first 3 scores would progress at about 1/4 levels (evenly distributed) while the last three scores would progress at 1/12 levels. If he rerolled anything but a 1, he'd get about +1 Str per 3 levels (11/36) and equal bonuses to everything else.
At first look this seems to give a character a +1 bonus in a stat every level, but then the second bit makes it look as if they get one every fourth level. Or was this statistics I missed the first time through. Ah, okay if it is statistics I see it now.

Good ideas of your own, though getting a +1 bonus will create more powerful characters. So the Game will have to be adjusted accordingly. Though I do like the idea bery much.

-Sravoff

Remove ads