American Horror Story: Coven

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have to say I enjoyed the first episode, but I'm a bit biased. I'm a native New Orleanean- though I moved away as a child- and it draws heavily from 2 of the Crecent City's 2 darkest legends: Marie Laveau and Delphine LaLaurie*.

Looks like its going to be a fun ride.

* FWIW, also the main villainess in Barbara Hambly's novel, Fever Season, from her Benjamin January Mysteries.

Last edited:

Yeah, I was flipping through the channels when I caught it after it had started. It looked interesting and I ended up watching it. Looks like it'll be interesting.

My girlfriend and I saw the first session of American horror story. We missed the second one, but we'll most likely watch this one.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I wasn't too impressed with season 1, so I thought I'd give season 2 a pass, but gave it a try when it premiered. I'm glad I did- I thought it was better, overall, though there were a LOT of subplots.

Jhaelen

First Post
Yup, I started watching season 2 and so far I feel it's a bit unfocused. There's imho, too many different things in the mix.

I wasn't too impressed with season 1, so I thought I'd give season 2 a pass, but gave it a try when it premiered. I'm glad I did- I thought it was better, overall, though there were a LOT of subplots.
I thought season one was alright. It was not What I had expected. Unfortunately, my girlfriend and I got got really busy with school and work, so we ended up not being able to watch it. We did catch one or two shows, but they were somewhere mid-season, and we just felt we had missed to many episodes to really get into it.
Season three looks pretty good. Hopefully we aren't to busy to catch it consistently.

I thought season 2 was fantastic all the way until the last 2 episodes. Then, it just kind went from supernatural horror to sci-fi, and I don't think they did a good job of it, either.

I barely caught the first 5 minutes of the season 3 premiere, so I don't have much of an opinion yet, other than I love New Orleans and how atmospheric stories told there are. I'm looking forward to it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe so, maybe no. On a certain level, I take AHS as kind of a horror version of The Matrix movies- more visual style than storyline substance*. But there's still some cleverness in there, enough to keep me watching, at least.

* so far, my favorite parts in any season were the way they depicted the Angel of Death, both visually and in terms of the storyline.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Loving Cathy Bates as Delphine, and her reactions to the modern world! Especially the whole "magic box" news stuff...

Remove ads