• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ancient Merithians

BSF

Explorer
I thought I would start a thread that all of you could contribute to. Discuss the Ancient Merithians. I'll start with a little more trivia.

The popular tales usually refer to them as the Ancient Merinthians. Scholars will tell you that the correct name is Ancient Merithians. It seems to be a difference between translations of their language and oral tradition carrying the stories down from one generation to the next.

Both spellings are equally valid and I will probably use both when describing things.

What else do you know about the Ancient Merithians?

Tormal

First Post
Some information had been recoreded about the Merinthians by "Ulnerius Featherwrite" 4 years in Forgotten Yesterdays. Ulnerias was last seen in Stormhaven...

The Merinthian Empire predated the Necormancer wars. During it's peak it spanned a good portion of this continent. The Merinthian empire was destroyed when it's capital city, Derimos, was sacked by barbarians. When the city was sacked the empire fell apart.
* The barbaians did not destroy the palace but instead each carved their names into it's walls.

When Derimos fell Cais Orphellius, the emporer, committed suicde by drinking deadly nightshade from a golden cup.

The Merinthian's pracitced what was called Red Sorcery. This simply meant it involved blood.

A blowing cloud symbol is a sign of good luck and fortune in the Merinthian Society.

The Centurion Knights were a military order that prided themselves on their weapons - the Gladius. The gladius resembles a very keen shortsword.

i'm sure there's more i'm just at work and that's what I could pull off this page in my backpack :)

Kultar

First Post
Four years pervious to this date the knowledgeable sage Ulnerious Featherwright penned the volume known as “Forgotten Yesterdays” detailing the history of the long forgotten Merinthians. Details about the Merinthians worship of the sun and the use of blood in their magic are to be found in the book and Featherwright labels it as “Red Sorcery.” Featherwright does acknowledge that the Merinthians magic was powerful. In his book Featherwright detailed the military order of the Centurion Knights who were wiped out in the siege and sacking of the capital Derimos by the ancestors of the Daneub Raiders more than 1400 years ago. The strange thing about the sacking of the capital was that the raiders did not destroy the palace but instead carved their names into it as they left. This depressed the then ruler of the Merinthians, Caius Orphillious, that he committed suicide by drinking deadly nightshade from a golden cup. With the sacking of the capital and the obliteration of the Centurion Knights the Merinthian kingdom fell into decay and broke apart. According to Featherwright the road leading to the capital city is marked with specific markings and should be recognizable.

BSF

Explorer
One thing that you guys should keep in mind is that each of you will have different perspectives and different notes that you took down. By consolidating them all here, you can see if there are any differences in information, and you can collect them all together for a more complete picture.

You might also keep in mind that most of this is information that Felix and Oceas remember. There may be more information that you have not yet seen. (Admittedly, Felix is a strong enough student of history that he could reasonably be a tutor for the children of the wealthy. Where does this guy come up with this stuff?)

Remove ads