• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animals Primary Attack is ?

Rashak Mani

First Post
I had a Tiger animal companion and the DM said that his listed primary attacks are his claws so that in a full round attack he does 2 claws and 1 bite... in a standard action/partial action he would have 2 claw attacks !

Is this correct ?

Also if the tiger decides only to bite or only to use one paw should the damage be 150% of str ? (follows the single attack bonus for animals - crocs for example have 150% damage since they use only one attack type at a time)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Nope.

He would get one claw attack.

If the primary attack says "2 claws +x" (like the tiger) then on a partial action the beastie gets 1 of those claws.

If the primary attack reads "Claws +x" (like the crow) then the beastie gets to attack with his its "claws/, but it is still only one attack.

Make sense?

--Feline Spikey

Last edited:

Rashak Mani

First Post
It does... but then those claws are a single attack anyway.

I was wondering about the 150% thing... after all a Wildshped Druid could get a lot of extra damage from that...

Mahali

Explorer
The lion only gets one of its claw attacks.
The Raven may be a misleading example since it only gets one attack a round and it's with both tiny claws. A 1 legged Raven will do the same damage as a um... differently abled one.

nsruf

First Post
I haven't got my MM here, but IIRC a creature can use any one of its attacks at its full attack bonus as a standard action. The primary/secondary distinction and reduced attack bonuses apply only with a full attack.

Remove ads