• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animate Dead with spellcaster

Demoquin

First Post
The Cleric in my DM's game cast Animate Dead on the orc shaman. Does the Zombie cleric still have his spell casting ability? Or any spells that he might have left over?

What about HP's as well? Since he has no CON score now

Kelleris

Explorer
Oh, good grief, no. Check out the zombie template on pages 265-267 in the Monster Manual for what happens. The lines "A zombie retains none of the base creature's special attacks." and "A zombie loses most special qualities of the base creature." mean that virtually all class abilities, including spellcasting, are right out.

Besides, its mindless and has Charisma 1 and Wisdom 10. Even if it kept its spellcasting, it would manage orisons only, and that's it. And even that's precluded by the "-" Intelligence, as such creatures cannot have class levels.

EDIT: Now, if you want a creature that can still use its class abilities, you can use create undead to make a mummy.

PrinceZane

First Post
Nod, that pretty much covers everything I would know to say. Just check out the templates to see what goes on. Unless he was pulling out some major necromantic stuff - I'm sure there's an upper level spell somewhere that allows a "resurrect" so you get all your stuff back, your just... undead....

Jack Simth

First Post
Funny thing about the "stadard" undead-creating spells.... most of them are either templates that specifically throw out all class levels (zombie, skeleton), or are defined creatures (Ghoul, Ghast, Mummy, Mohrgh, Shadow, Wraith, Spectre, Devourer) which, while advanceable, aren't necesarily based on the origninal at all ... and none of which specify advancement by character class ... and none of which are listed as potential player monster races, (unlike, say, the Ghost or Vampire, which are not creatable under the standard Create Undead spells ... in the 3.5 SRD, at least; my 3.0 Player's Handbook lists Ghost and Vampire as available under Create Greater Undead, if you have a high enough caster level)

sukael

First Post
Actually, Mummy and a few others are given LAs and Savage Species-style class progressions in Libris Mortis. With it, the mummy traits (for example) are added on top of the base creature, and the 'levels' go up from there.

Scharlata

First Post
Hi!

You may have "fun" with intelligent versions of skeletons and zombies as written in the Book of Vile Darkness (see Bone Creature and Corpse Creature templates).

Enjoy!

Remove ads