• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any news on the new server?

LightPhoenix

First Post
Spoony Bard said:
I really wish I could give a better answer than it's being worked on. I'm sorry if that isn't enough. I assure you guys though that when there are new developments you guys will be informed.
So then there haven't been any developments on this front at all since the fund raiser? How long does it take to build a server?

I'm sorry if this comes off as pissy, but you have to understand that it's not a situation where there's little information, it's a situation that we have no information other than assurances that "it's being worked on". Quite frankly, those assurances are starting to feel more than a little bit stale. Considering that it was the good will of ENWorld's members that allowed this to happen, I think we should get more than a simple brush-off.

You (or Morrus, or whomever) could start making things a little better by at least explaining why you can't give us a better answer. I think a little explanation would going a long way towards bolstering a trust that seems to be waning some. I think most of us are reasonable enough people to understand if it's a legal matter and can't be talked about. Hell, I think most of us are reasonable enough that even if it's a matter of sheer laxness (which I doubt very much) we'd be understanding.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's basically a case of combining the efforts and resources of a bunch of different people in order to have a server bought, built, configured and installed in a country 3,000 miles away from my own.

So far we have agreed a spec for the machine, worked out what's going to happen to the old one, shopped around and gotten some comparative prices, and agreed on what we're going to go for, and decided what to do about hosts; all at the same time as my doing general EN World stuff, EN Publishing stuff, the new magazine and the ENnies.

As mentioned, we were considering changing hosts first, and spent a goodly amount of time looking round before unclimactically deciding to stay put.

There was also a longish delay while I waited to find out the exact budget available as I had to a) pay off last year's ENnies, b) cover this year's ENnies, c) find out how much of the donation money would go to tax (too much!) and d) decide on the host and make sure that was paid off for the foreseeable future (which it has been and still is); the last thing I wanted to do was overspend by mistake then find I had a big bill to pay.

So, yep, it is taking time, and I realise how frustrating that must be (although the current server seems to have improved its performance recently), but I'm being very, very careful. When we actually move to the new server, I don't want to have to worry about performance issues for a long, long time afterwards.

BSF

Explorer
Morrus,
I'll chime in and offer any help that I can. I'm not sure exactly how I can help, but I do have sysadmin experience with Unix flavors, windows flavors as well as network and firewall experience. So, if there is anything I can help with, feel free to drop me an email or a PM.

alsih2o

First Post
Morrus said:
....spent a goodly amount of time looking round before unclimactically deciding to stay put....

There was also a longish delay while I waited to find out the exact budget available ....the last thing I wanted to do was overspend by mistake then find I had a big bill to pay.

So, yep, it is taking time, and I realise how frustrating that must be....... but I'm being very, very careful. ..... I don't want to have to worry about performance issues for a long, long time afterwards.

Wow, sounds just like making art. :D

Lalato

Adventurer
I was about to lay a rant down about how slow EN World is... and well... you guys know it's slow so I guess I don't really need to rant about it.

But geez... even a stopgap measure would be better than this.
--sam

DaveStebbins

First Post
Thank you, Morrus.

I'm pretty sure this is what people were looking for. The problem is that until we are waist deep in the details, we don't know what's taking up the time. I can't speak for others, but this is certainly enough to satisfy my curiosity.

We do appreciate the work everyone does but, until/unless we see progress reports like this one, we get impatient. It's sort of the nature of the beast.

-Dave

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads